Caterham Academy 2020

Cars Caterham Academy 2020 1.5

Login or Register an account to download this content
is it possible when you hit a car on the front left side, that the front right wheel cover doesn't damage?
I don't think so, the collision system is very simplified, certainly nothing I can do much about damage beyond what is on the 1700SS. Rest is I guess up to Ben if there are some hitboxes in the kn5 for example. But there may not be and a simple single collider.kn5 may be used along with a direction from center and that's it, no special mutliple hitboxes as you may see on humanoid characters in FPS games. Usually on all cars in AC if you hit the front corner on one side the whole front both sides get damaged, it's really way simplified to be able to provide any damage accuracy. Better collisions, more hitboxes, etc. = more CPU usage, I don't think anyone does collisions on GPU yet, not sure if worthwhile, used to be done on CPU. I once ripped off a mirror on the 1700SS by ramming a railing, Ben noticed on photo, I guess he attached them somehow in a way to make them wobble but that never worked but they can be broken off somehow. Maybe it could be done for the front wings/fenders, it's up to Ben as that is for sure somewhere in the kn5 AC car thingy ;)

Right now my order is: Academy and then fix up the 165 so there is less confusion of why is it so different.
First gotta order an HDD, no more space for more Cats right now.

---

Again for the understeer, the 1700SS is set as it should be and it steers in well but once you run out of that "roll" initial good steer in it will start to understeer if you're going too fast or you're doing a steady corner at higher speeds. When the front is stiffer you will get less initial steer in, literally forcing you to slow down so that you can steer in and then the understeer doesn't seem as big. If you're having a problem with some combo, record it at best 60fps first person view, I will check it and can try drive it and show you how to go around faster. Usually it's easy to spot what the mistake is. Otherwise explaining what affects a car and how in what situations would be a whole series on setup making :roflmao: And you would still need to spends years practicing and learning after reading it.

Last edited:
I don't have problems driving it, I know how to deal with the understeer, it's just not enjoyable :(
Yeah I know, the lower power Cats are not as fun, not enough rear slip and power overall when one is used to other high power cars and wants to slide with throttle. The best overall balanced IMHO is around 200HP for Caterham which is around R400 beyond that it can be a bit too much power even with semislicks and a trade off between straight line power and cornering speed starts to kick in.
Okayama, Donington, slower tracks are best suited for any Cat. On Nordschleife it's "boring", simply doesn't have the power and top speed, most cars do not have it with under 400HP and sub 250km/h top speed for that track.
It's certainly a matter of taste and combo selection. It can go pretty fast around low-mid speed corners even with the street tyres, beyond that the aero and lack of power makes it a snail. The higher powered versions though can keep up on Nord. with Porsches, beat them in corners and lose on straights. I mean pretty much most traditional cars like Porsche, Ferrari etc. (500HP+) can't keep up in corners with high power (250HP+) Cats.

Last edited:
I shrink from asking this, as your work is just brilliant and I love Caterhams, owning one myself, but... Looking at the video you've posted, the back end looks rather wide. Are you sure you haven't used the dimensions of an SV Caterham, rather than the S3? I hope you'll fogive me asking.

160 is S3 with narrow wings=fenders, rest is S3 some narrow front arms some wider front arms? And then SV?
It's hard to tell from the specs available, there are tons of mistakes around. So far the 1700 should be some older chasis, guess similar to S3 and with narrow 1270mm front. Where as R400 etc. would have S3 and wider 1336mm front? How wide is the track on SV? I don't seem to ever stumble on it as they often just say 1270/1336 or 1336/1336mm same as the narrow version which is odd where as listing width 1685mm and longer wheelbase 2305mm. We haven't made any SV so I don't know what the precise specs for it are they aren't very easy to find. 160/165 seems like a narrow fenders "S3" but still doesn't fit Japan's Kei car limits because of power anyway.

If you know some precise dimensions I can check them later using in game physics and see if the graphical model matches them. Other than that up to Ben. Photos can be misleading.

I shrink from asking this, as your work is just brilliant and I love Caterhams, owning one myself, but... Looking at the video you've posted, the back end looks rather wide. Are you sure you haven't used the dimensions of an SV Caterham, rather than the S3? I hope you'll fogive me asking.
it is definitely an S3 body :) i took measures from my Super Sprint back then.
Now the track width maybe ? But looking at pictures, it looks kind of alright
+ i did measure a 1600 front and rear :)
P1090193ps.jpg

Now the SV, is a scale up of the whole thing looking from above :p
Cat%20SV.jpg

and a flater nose from front
Cat%20SV%202.jpg

I initially wanted to make one, because the handling would probably be much different due to wideness
but can't find any good reference! Would need to scan one in 3D to get a proper base of work

Now back on subject
what Seven do you own ?
Any feedback from you on how the car feels driving would be interesting!
Cheers

There are some new version xxxR/S SV photos but nothing usable for 3D reconstruction I think. I can make you some SV physics later it should be relatively simple and the difference from my experience and knowledge is that the car is more stable when wider. The SV is both wider track (by I guess 100mm) and longer wheelbase by 80mm. It's not a big change but it's a useful change for overpowered cars. And of course for Caterham user comfort.

From my photoshop 420R (nonSV, I guess it's what they call S3), the rear "cockpit" the main part (where the fuel tank and storage is) minus wings/fenders, outer metal to outer metal is about 995-1000mm. Where as on SV this part would be around 1100mm. This is roughly the same width as where the passengers are and that measurement may be found online especially for SV they do like to note and mention it's wider maybe sometimes how much more wider and give the whole number possibly instead of just a difference.

My apologies for not replying sooner. I've been away a few days, so I hope you'll forgive me. May I submit an extract from my Owner's Manual (all in mm):
S3 SV
2225 2305 Wheelbase
1336 1446 Front Track
1336 1446 Rear Track
3100 3530 Length
1575 1685 Width
1115 1140 Height

I've taken a Supersport for the S3 dimensions. May I also refer you to some pictures of second hand 7s for sale from Caterham themselves. The first is an Academy (S3 chassis), the second a Roadsport with an SV chassis (S3 is just an abbreviation of Series 3, whilst SV an abbreviation of Series Five, though everyone refers to it as an 'Ess Vee', and sometimes, jokingly, as a 'Sumo Version' as its larger and about 25 kilos heavier). In both instances click on the images taken directly from the rear of the car, and you can appreciate the difference:

http://uk.caterhamcars.com/pre-owned/2065-academy
http://uk.caterhamcars.com/pre-owned/2030-roadsport-140-sv

Its a little harder to tell from the front of the car, though if you're used to it you can ping the difference in the radiator opening. There is also a difference in the distance from the outside of the bonnet louvres to the start of the curve of the bonnet, particularly at the rear of the bonnet.

Having said all this, may i compliment you on your work, as it is absolutely first class. I wouldn't have a clue how to begin. I do hope you'll do a wide range of Caterhams, as there is a discernable difference in the performance, but they're all wonderful to drive. The only other car which felt remotely similar was a single seat Formula Ford I drove decades ago. The controls of a normal tin-top car feels like stirring a pan of porridge by comparison.

Apologies, almost missed your question about my own. Its a 10 year old Roadsport 140 SV. At the time of building the 140 referred to its bhp, though a recent dyno test showed it to be 156 bhp (116.3 kW) @ 6,915 rpm. Peak Torque for mine would have been around 125 lbs/ft at the time of building, though mine registered 127.5 lbs/ft @ 5,715 rpm. As she was built as a Roadsport, I suspect peak torque was kept at lower revs to keep her more tractable in traffic, rather than being built primarily for track use.

I hope this is of some use and I do hope you don't think for one moment that I'm trying to disparage your brilliant work.

Last edited:
JackCY,

The car is indeed more stable in the wider versions.

The CSR versions, which ceased production two or three years ago, used the SV chassis, but have inboard front suspension and fully independent rear suspension. Owners tell me they just float through the corners at high speed and that the cornering is far better (and its already astonishing on a standard Seven, as I'm sure Ben O'Bro above will confirm). The CSRs have 2.3 litre Cosworth engines and go sh*t off a shovel. Lord only knows why Caterham decided to stop building them. Bonkers decision.

Caterham offer a wider track as an optional extra for S3s, bringing the front end up to SV dimensions, to give better cornering.

Talking about being wider in the cockpit, the SV gives about an extra two inches more width for each seat (the transmission tunnel comes almost up to your armpit), hence my wife doesn't want us to have an S3 as its a little more restrictive on long journeys (and 'No', she's not fat)!

Regarding the 160 and lower powered cars. Caterham purposely put smaller tyres on lower powered car so owners can still have fun and get the tail out. When I joined a group of about 30 new owners for one of Caterham's one day introductions to the cars, the Technical Director us that the one bloke who'd bought a 160 that he'd picked the best of the range for sheer fun and enjoyment.

Oh! Just remembered - Wheels. Wheels are from 13" to 15". My car has 15" wheels with Avon CR500 tyres, which are a bit better for touring, give a slightly more comfortable ride, slightly higher top speed and better fuel economy, but also tend to weigh up to 3 kilos more per wheel, thus increasing the polar moment of intertia considerably and taking longer to accelerate. My old girl takes a sedate and stately 5.1 seconds to get from 0 - 60 mph. For sheer handling and better acceleration people opt for 13" wheels, which Academy cars all have, and they do make the car feel more "grounded."

If I can help with anything else, I'd be glad to.

Last edited:
gn10ezr_4_0.jpg

lk66goc_4.jpg

SV top, Academy bottom. Compare the ratios of the square rear panel, height to width.

I get about 1:2.4 for the SV at the top, and about 1:2.2 for the Academy with the S3 chassis at the bottom. Not much, but distinct, particularly on an S3 with no signwriting.

P.S The boot cover is also different on both, though you'd have to be a nerd like me know. And 'Yes', you did get the correct boot cover.

Thanks I will read and check it all, if you have some source links or source notes those are great so I can browse more and save it with a link as I prefer to know from where each info I use is from for reliability purposes. I have some of the owner manuals for sure, maybe I just skipped the SV since we don't have any, if you can link the manual I will save it and check add it to my collection.

CSR is a beast but they probably don't sell much and Caterham overall tried to "simplify" the range they offer though it's still messy. I definitely saw those wider front track arms as parts, so those are for S3 to make it SV wide? Or are those simply a difference between 1270 and 1336mm front track width? The 1700 is 1270mm front only. But the newer S3 chassis are all 1336mm? Or some also 1270mm only?

The 160/165 I treat as on oddity, it probably has sizes all of it's own with the narrow tyres and other changes to make it narrower as the tyres otherwise would be sunk inside the fenders.

In regard to the last, what rear "square", rectangular panel?
This is what I get for S3:

xbpf7BM.jpg

I can check later with the model in AC if it's 1000mm wide or not. Ben can for sure check it in his 3D editor.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back