Cars not affected by shadows

Hi there!

I've noticed that certain add-on cars from different sources or mods are not affected by shadows projected by elements on the track (marked in the .trk file as "ShadowCaster=Dynamic"), whereas other cars are. I've taken a look at the .cas file and made sure that the chassis and other parts of the car have the "ShadowReceiver" set to True, but to no avail.

To put it more clearly, when you drive under a bridge, the shadow of the bridge is projected on the car (so I'm not talking about the shadow of the car itself), but this doesn't happen with certain add-on cars.

Does this have an easy fix by tinkering with the files or will I need to do something more advanced?

Thank you.

you answered yourself to your question, to have shadows over cars you need 2 things :
- Track shadowcasters or shadowobjects must be set on Dynamic and not True/Static
- every car parts (lines in CAS file) you want to be shadowed must have ShadowReceiver=True

Note that you must set shadow option on FULL in gtr2 graphics menu to enable these dynamic shadows which are nice but it kills fps, that is why most track modders use Static shadows.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! But in fact that was the first thing I tried: all ShadowCaster and ShadowObject instances set to Dynamic, and every car part set to ShadowReceiver=True (and yes, I play with full shadows).

Some cars just aren't affected by the shadows, and I'm starting to think if maybe it has something to do with the materials or something.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 14 11.9%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • Thursday

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • Friday

Votes: 42 35.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 69 58.5%