Button box options

Obviously, the easy button is simply to buy a box premade. That's the quickest, and probably cheapest route...as long as you like someone else's arrangment of buttons/switches/knobs.

I'm in the middle of designing one for use in VR (see design below). I took a lot of inspiration from RCHeliguy's thread on here, but I went a slightly different route. Particularly for VR, I like the idea of having multiple functions in each location...eg, dual rotary encoders (with a push-button), bidirectional momentary switches, joystick switches, etc. Once I get my hand on a control, I don't want to have to move it---since I'm effectively blind folded.

For building your own, I think the Bodnar line of interface boards are about the easiest to work with; although the DSD-nomatrix ones are close to equivalent.

The hardest part of designing your own is finding switches, buttons, knobs, encoders, etc that do what you want, are the size you want, and look the way you want. I ended up getting most stuff off of ebay (mostly from China). Ali-express also has pretty much the same selection...I found the Ebay seach engine a little more effective in narrowing my choices to my preferences. Since so much comes from china, be prepared to wait....and wait....and wait. Patience sucks.

1592575914592.png

Upvote 0
where the bloody hell do you start with the coding as well!

I want to build my own, but i know zero about coding, and thats whats stopping me!

No coding is required. Either a Bodnar or a Derek Spears Designs USB board, switches and wires is all that's required. The board simply shows up in windows as another gaming controller, and works just like the buttons/switches on your wheel.

http://**********************/32-button-no-matrix-controller.html

"All" you have to do is buy the board, buy the switches, connect them correctly, and plug it into a USB port on your computer. Then fire up your sim, and assign controls as per normal.

As noted above, the hard(er) part is the design work and parts selection to make it what you want. That can be as complicated (see above) or as simple as you want (a plain grid of 32/64 push-buttons).

Upvote 0
i know what i want, i was always put off by the coding element, but seems thats been negated, so ill get researching!

I like the DSD panels for CSW v2.5, but theres no way i was paying that sort of money for some button boxes that will get use, but are also there for cosmetics

http://**********************/csw-panels---ultra.html

So ive designed my own side panels to take button boxes, fan outlets, as well as controller for the fans, volume control for the speakers and a headphone out when i want to use headphones.
It pretty cool, just need the button boxes and this isolation period to end, and then im on the new project!

Upvote 0
dont you need coding with the arduino?

So if i wanted to have roataries and push buttons, that can be done easily on the pcb or arduino?

Check out SimHub — no coding required — you set it up in the interface and then it even flashes it for you. If you're ok with a soldering iron then a cheap Arduino Micro Pro (check which ones it supports) and you're done.

Cheaper than one of the USB interfaces.

Upvote 0
Check out SimHub — no coding required — you set it up in the interface and then it even flashes it for you. If you're ok with a soldering iron then a cheap Arduino Micro Pro (check which ones it supports) and you're done.

Cheaper than one of the USB interfaces.
True. But, that approach makes it is a matrix interface instead of direct-wire pins. That's more complexity in the wiring, and chances for "error". Also, matrix interconnect has some limitations that direct wire does not (but, may not really matter much).

Even as a 30yr EE who spend his entire childhood wirewrapping intergrated circuits...for the $20ish cost difference, I'd rather direct wire things. I've hand-wired a lot of stuff in my day.

If I just wanted a small handful of just buttons/switches, I might go that route. But, the design above is already at 60+ inputs when you consider each dual-rotary takes 5 inputs.

Upvote 0
Anyone working on a DIY solution:

Please share your design and components!

Than you!
Well, you can see the sketch above.

Stickers:

I bought these. And I'm making some others for things this set didn't have.

Components:

Controller:

Joystick switches:

Buttons:

Switches:

I also have a single pole momentary with guard. But, I already have those from my racecar.

Rotary w/Button:

Dual Rotary w/Button:

Knobs:

I should note that I'm also hooking up the stalks from a Miata muti-function switch (headlights, wipers, cruise control, etc). I've also scavenged the actual ignition switch from my wrecked racecar for...well the obvious.

Upvote 0
Ask yourself: "what do I need to control?" and create your button box with that in mind. In my case I made it simple, easy to remember and use with my headset on. I bought an electronic case made of plastic, removed the top and replaced it with a piece of plexiglass with the holes of my buttons cut with a machine. I installed 9 buttons (3 rows and 3 columns, easy to identify with my fingers). I also included a switch and a momentary 2 way switch. The former is used to cut or enable the power of my fans. The later is multifuctional (one of the buttons acts as a modifier, including a synthetic voice announcing the mode). Some of my buttons have dual functions (single press or hold). That can be programmed with AutoHotkey. Actually I use AutoHotkey for every button. As regards the electronics, I used a tiny USB controller (Xinmotek), which is detected as a gaming device. Apart from my button box, I have 2 buttons behind my rim, for quick functions.

controls-2020.png

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 217114

Another option is to buy a cheap android tablet. 2.2 or higher, if I remember correctly. And a tabletholder. Then go to EKsimracing and build your own digital buttonbox. I wanted do it, as well. But I prefer the looks of a real buttonbox.

I am still looking for a good tablet to use as a dashboard with Eksimracing, tho.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Friday

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Saturday

Votes: 43 52.4%