1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Bump and rebound speed question.

Discussion in 'RACE 07 - Official WTCC Game' started by Truls Flatland, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Truls Flatland

Truls Flatland
    Premium Member

I keep doubting myself about what way to adjust the bump and rebound.

In the setup, is 1 fast or is 20 fast?
    If you could clearify this a final time, I'd be on my merry way...

THX

2. 20 is fast 1 is slow

3. Truls Flatland

Truls Flatland
    Premium Member

Thank you Sir!

4. aah was wondering myself! what exactly does this do to the cars performance?thanks for any help!

5. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    Technical Administrator Staff Premium Member

6. Nice! Been wondering this for ages. V useful :)

7. np glad i could help, if you want to find out more about setting up your shocks then try this motec guide i uploaded here
    but you will maybe have it already as i did upload the same guide to flatout about a year ago i think :laugh2:

8. thanks guys rele good help! hope to see u racing online soon! :)

9. Argh, I always keep getting confused about these settings >.<
    I try to remember if it's the higher numbers that are faster, or if it's the lower ones, but I always forget...

I'll try to remember going back to this thread when in doubt :p

10. Thnx for the link need as much info as i can get on setups lol.

11. Are you sure a high damper setting is fast/soft and low is slow/hard?
    I thought its the opposite.
    And a high springs setting means hard springs?

12. motec tells me that my dampers are moving faster when set to 1... and slower when set to 20+

if you cant feel the difference when you mess with the dampers in your setups then id leave them well alone and focus more on the basics... :laugh2:

13. It can be interpreted a few ways but as i understand it then the lower the number then the softer the suspension will be and the faster the body weight transfers, but if the damper is set to a high number then the suspension is harder with slower weight transfer but faster reaction from the shocks. So is setting it to 1 slow or fast? yes it is slow for the shock to react but fast for the body to accept weight transfer.

There was a pdf engineers guide for the original GTR that goes some way to explaining this but sadly i do not think i have it any more but i will have another look tomorrow.

14. I am a simple man, so I think of it in simple terms, kind of like ...

Lower settings (eg 1) = dampers offer less resistance so springs are pretty much free to move as they please
    Higher settings (eg 20) = dampers will "hold" or the slow springs' movement down and so stop them reacting as fast ...

Or have I got this the wrong way round as its late and I am tired?

Either way, adjusting dampers is a dark art, but when you start to suss it out, I think it can add those final handling characteristics or tweaks to your setup ... but if your base setup is out of whack, then dampers are not gonna fix things, at best they'll mask a bit of the nastier stuff.

15. ive always thought at it from a shaft speed point of view...

bearing in mind weve got slow speed and high speed dampers to fiddle with too, high speed ones have little to do with weight transfer though (although i find the high speed settings hardest to set up by feel alone, thank you motec!)

16. about as good a description as i have seen, nice one :clap:

17. ... seems the Grasshopper (me) is learning ... ahhhhhh sooooo ... one day I too may become a setup master :wink2:

18. From GTR2 Engineers Handbook

Fast Bump - Controls the rapid upward movement of this suspension corner following
    bumps and curbs. This Bump is described as “Fast” because the damper is moving up
    (compressing) in a rapid motion, usually above 100mm/sec (use telemetry). So this adjustment
    controls how a tyre conforms to the road as it’s negotiating the leading edge-topeak
    of a bump or road undulation. If you find the car pushing to the outside of the track
    in a “skating” fashion over bumps, then soften (lower) this setting. If the car floats and
    changes direction erratically, then stiffen (higher) this setting. When in doubt, go softer.

Slow Bump
    - Controls the mild UPWARD movement of this suspension corner caused
    by a driver input (steering, braking, throttle). This Bump is described as “Slow” because
    the damper is moving up (compressing) in a slow motion, usually below 70mm/sec
    damper speed (use telemetry). Used to affect chassis balance while we are transitioning
    into, and out, of the corners. Decreasing this number will speed up how quickly a corner
    accepts weight transfer while we are transitioning. Increasing will slow it down.

Fast Rebound
    - Controls the rapid DOWNWARD movement of this suspension corner
    following bumps and curbs. This Rebound is described as “Fast” because this damper is
    moving down (extending) in a rapid motion, usually above 100mm/sec (use telemetry).
    So this adjustment controls how a tyre conforms to the road as it’s negotiating the peakto-
    trailing edge of a bump or road undulation. If the fast bump setting has been changed,
    then it’s usually a good idea to change fast rebound in a similar manner.

Slow Rebound - Controls the mild DOWNWARD movement of this suspension corner
    caused by a driver input (steering, braking, throttle). This Rebound is described as “Slow”
    because the damper is moving down (extending) in a slow motion, usually below 70mm/
    sec damper speed (use telemetry). Used to affect chassis balance while transitioning
    into, and out, of the corners. Decreasing this number will speed up how quickly this
    corner gives up - or “sheds” - weight transfer while we are transitioning. Increasing this
    setting will slow it down.