BREAKING: Alonso Not Racing in F1 in 2019

I'm happy for him but there are few, if any, that would have stayed committed to McLaren as he did.
It was a pleasure watching him drive and I will always remember his borrowed lawn chair picture.
f1-brazilian-gp-2015-fernando-alonso-mclaren-mp4-30-stopped-on-track.jpg

Really looking forward to Fernando blasting around Mid-Ohio, Road America, Laguna Seca, Pocono...soon!

Half seriously, I think Ecclestone would have "convinced" him with a better team for '19 to stay in F1.

McLaren continues to work on a plan to enter the IndyCar series with two-time Formula 1 World Champion Fernando Alonso for 2019, says series chief Mark Miles.

they can make it happen for 2019?

Not so fast!
That might be a premature celebration.
It may be Sainz and Norris.
Stoffel may yet see the door.
Shame really!...that bad, slow, unreliable car is shrouding his ability.
Not only the car but Alonso too, what a pitiful spirit.
Vandoorne will stay in F1.

Alonso current main effort is his museum and the go-kart school for 120 kids he owns. Lately he founded an esport team for Playstation I guess.
Driving F1 only meant to be a fund support for such activities. Once he gets out, driving would be his main goal again, whenever he chooses to race.
He´s responsible for boosting F1 fan base here in Spain.
When testing an F1 car for the first time, 1999, he was told by Minardi engineers to please slow down after setting the overall record lap... on his third lap. Right then Minardi owner Gian Carlo asked him what his goal was. "Im here to be Driver World Champion" Fernando, 19 by then, answered.

Thank you for everything you did on F1 Fernando. Now on to new challenges.

2019 seems to be
FER Vettel - Leclerc
RBR Verstappen - Gasly
MER Hamilton - Bottas
REN Ricciardo - Hulkenberg
FOR Stroll - (Ocon/Pérez)
MCL Sainz - Vandoorne
HAA Magnussen - Giovinazzi

I've casually watched F1 on and off over the last 20 years, so I'm not a "hard core" F1 fan. I didn't like Fernando Alonso early on, he came across to me as a prima donna like many F1 drivers (a plague not limited to F1 in big time racing, for sure). But in recent years, maybe due to his struggles, I've come to appreciate his talent and drive to compete. I think the guy really does love racing, and wants to enjoy it. If he goes to Indy Car, I think he'll have a blast and the series and fans will welcome him with open arms. Assuming he goes to a top team (there is no doubt), he will have a shot to win every race. He will show everyone just how good he still is, and perhaps draw some deserved attention to the other drivers in Indy Car who will give him all the challenge he can handle. Indy Car has been gaining momentum the last few years, I only see this as adding to that.

Also, there is a lot of room in the Indy Car schedule for additional events as has been mentioned. Several Indy Car drivers run the Daytona 24 hours, Sebring 12 hours, Le Mans, Petit Le Mans... hell maybe while he's over here he might even be offered to try Nascar. Before you scoff at that, Nascar road races can be wildly entertaining and he's shown he's a quick study on an oval. Has ANYONE ever won Monaco, Le Mans, Indianapolis 500, AND Daytona 500? A.J. Foyt has 3 out of 4!

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Yearly

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly at lan events

• Yearly at lan events