Big Batch of Updates Released for rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 July Roadmap 3.jpg

As well as a new Developer Roadmap posting earlier today, Studio 397 has also been hard at work deploying a new update to rF2 and the GT3 and GTE pack of cars...

Released today on Steam, rFactor 2 and the content within has received not one but three very tasty updates, one to the base game that brings with it some very useful performance boosts and improvements for VR users - not least of which is the very well executed 'Stabilize Horizon' feature amongst other tweaks to the core simulation.

Alongside a new build deployment to the game itself, both the recent Endurance Pack and slightly older GT3 DLC car packs have been updated too, in the case of the GT3's we've received a nice update to the current standards introduced with the Endurance Pack of cars, most noticeable of which is the move to the new tyre model alongside some visual changes with the introduction of position lights and new features for traction control and ABS in car adjustments. This is the fourth update to the GT3 pack, and potentially one of the most prominent ones yet.

In terms of the epic 'Endurance Pack' set of cars, containing lets not forget an LMP3 and LMP2 specification car alongside the high profile GTE machines, this one covers off some useful updates to the tyres and BOP settings, bringing the cars nicely in line to perform in multiclass races against both the Endurance Pack content, and also the GT3s as an additional class.

Change logs for all three updates can be seen below:

Latest Update! 26-07-2018
Steam Build ID 2980035
Steam Build ID 2942931 (dedicated server)

- Optimized performance when running post effects at MED/HIGH /ULTRA
- Globally adjustment to positioning of garage exit crewman
- Fixed brake disc glow not blending correctly on certain cars
- Added new parameter to UI 'Stabilize Horizon' This allows users three levels of visual damping. Can be used in VR and on monitors.
- Fixed VR 'mirror screen' flickering at track load

GT3 Pack Update 4
Changelog 25/07/2018

Bentley Continental GT3 2017 v2.31
- Updated tires
- Added onboard Traction Control and ABS
- Minor physics adjustments based on BOP testing
- Added position lights

Callaway Corvette GT3 2017 v2.33
- Updated tires
- Added position lights

McLaren 650S GT3 2017 v2.25
- Updated tires
- Minor texture fixes in cockpit (mainly visible while in VR)
- Added position lights

Mercedes AMG GT3 2017 v2.31
- Updated tires
- Added position lights

Radical RXC GT3 2017 v2.31
- Updated tires
- Added position lights

Endurance Pack Update 1

GTE
BMW M8 GTE 2018 v1.25
- Updated tires

Corvette C7R GTE 2017 v1.49
- Updated tires

Porsche 991RSR GTE 2017 v1.49
- Updated tires

LMP3
Norma M30-LMP3 2017 v1.51
- Updated tires

LMP2
Oreca 07 LMP2 2017 v1.41
- Updated tires
- Updated suspension

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC from Steam now.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Have you tried the new update(s) yet? What are your impressions of the changes made to both game and cars? Let us know in the comments section below!

isn't this just camera settings though ? ... I know this is not Gmotor, but Gmotor had settings for camera how much it should be locked to car movement,

AC has the same issue with the dash camera , but I suppose it makes sense since "dash" cam implies camera mounted to dashboard, so it would be locked to the car movement

As I still had a working RHM app that completely locks the horizon, I tried deleting it and moving the rF2 Stabilize Horizon slider to High. It is better than it used to be, but the horizon is not completely locked. So I have put the RHM files back. Works better for me.
Great info, as I understood RHM wasn't working. Are you using VR? If so, what RHM version are you using, and can you share your settings? Thanks.

I'm on triples, using RealHeadMotionRFactor2_1.0.3.
It is the most 'recent' version afaik, from 2014, but it still works fine.

https://sites.google.com/site/midid...dmotion-plugin/real-head-motion-for-rfactor-2

Yeah, RHM still works with rF2 on flat screens, just no longer with VR. You briefly got my hopes up! RHM is THE best solution for VR racing.

BTW on flat screens I had no desire for any stabilisation, I quite liked the shaking, it gives a bit more immersion. It's just that after VR I can no longer enjoy flat.

Yeah, RHM still works with rF2 on flat screens, just no longer with VR. You briefly got my hopes up! RHM is THE best solution for VR racing.

BTW on flat screens I had no desire for any stabilisation, I quite liked the shaking, it gives a bit more immersion. It's just that after VR I can no longer enjoy flat.

I'm getting nausea after a short while in every VR setup I tried, so I'm sticking to my triples :geek:
I am very close to my screens though and I'm perfectly fine with the cockpit shaking, which is what I see IRL. Eye/brain internal stabilisation...
But that's a whole different discussion...;)
So I'm still fine with RHM, game saver for me....

I'm getting nausea after a short while in every VR setup I tried, so I'm sticking to my triples :geek:
I am very close to my screens though and I'm perfectly fine with the cockpit shaking, which is what I see IRL. Eye/brain internal stabilisation...
But that's a whole different discussion...;)
So I'm still fine with RHM, game saver for me....

That’s unfortunate.. VR racing is, for me, so good (with motion) that I don’t need to buy a two seater in real life, VR racing scratches that itch. I did have severe motion sickness in the first run and to a lesser extent in subsequent runs for the first couple of days or maybe even weeks. But after about a month I could easily race non-stop, the only limit being the need for food and beverages :D

If you want to really harden up your VR stomach, train on longer and longer sessions. You just need to incrementally increase your sessions, but stop every time you feel motion sickness coming. Eventually you will have a stainless steel VR stomach. It’s a brain thing, it’s all about training the brain to accept the discrepancy between conflicting signals. A motion seat can make a big difference though, it can help to give some cues, if configured correctly, so your brain is less confused.

Confirmed :)
Now I can safely leave RHM out.
Going to buy Sebring now, the bumps will not hurt my stomach :D

You'll be sorry. Even with Stabilize Horizon set to Low (aka High), it's unpleasant to drive for more than a few minutes (at least with my system, sitting about 3ft away from a 49" TV monitor). Good luck.

I really wish that 397 would simply implement the excellent horizon lock that is already present in the game: When you change the camera view to behind the car.

It's perfect, but for some reason they can't seem to get the cockpit view properly stabilized.

You'll be sorry. Even with Stabilize Horizon set to Low (aka High), it's unpleasant to drive for more than a few minutes (at least with my system, sitting about 3ft away from a 49" TV monitor). Good luck.

I really wish that 397 would simply implement the excellent horizon lock that is already present in the game: When you change the camera view to behind the car.

It's perfect, but for some reason they can't seem to get the cockpit view properly stabilized.

That's strange. With the Stabilizer set on low, the horizon is completely locked, just like it was before (when I was still using RHM).
And believe me, I am really sensitive for that setting :D
I'm yet to try the new Sebring though... is your experience based on other tracks too ?

Just to clarify the different "stabilize horizon" settings, I have to admit that I made a mistake and "low" and "high" settings are indeed accidentally swapped. Even though it's a weekend, I already prepared a hotfix. Expect that this week. In the mean time: low is high! ;)
Thanks for info, Marcel. But i have to say, even if "low is high", then the effect is way to small. The current "low" is ...... i' would say ...... okay. But i had expected more.

I have to admit, that i'm driving with LTH since years (on monitor and now in VR only), and i'm very used to this feature.
Just for info .... the RealHeadMotion plugin for rF2 worked absolutelly great (before the DX11 update) and it still works great in Assetto Corsa. Also the LTH implemention in iRacing works flawless, even on banked oval tracks. I can drive with my Rift for hours in AC and iRacing without getting motion sick.

But the new "Stabilize horizon" feels still uncomfortable for me, even on the current "low" (as the highest setting). I hope, this feature gets a second pass.

Thanks for that feedback @Frank Lehmann because so far in our pool of testers everybody agreed that our high setting (accidentally called "low" but that will soon be fixed) was more than enough. Obviously our pool of testers is not as big as our pool of users (waiting for someone to make a bad joke about that ;) ) so we will look into that again to see if we need to offer an even higher setting. If you don't mind helping us out a bit on this, feel free to start a private conversation and I can include you in the testing process for this.

That's strange. With the Stabilizer set on low, the horizon is completely locked, just like it was before (when I was still using RHM).
And believe me, I am really sensitive for that setting :D
I'm yet to try the new Sebring though... is your experience based on other tracks too ?
The other tracks are fine for me, even without horizon stabilization. The new Sebring track is the only one with all these very high frequency bumps that cause your view to constantly shudder. It’s decidedly unpleasant. I went back to the old Virtua LM Sebring. Maybe they’ll fix it, maybe they won’t. That’s RF2.

Thing is, RF2 has such incredible FFB and physics (and now the graphics look fine) that it’s all worth it.

Had a blast on Buckmore Park with rentals and 20 lap races in VR! Thanks for the horizon stabilization fix! Looking over my shoulder to see them pushing for the inside corner is thrilling in VR. Previously it would be impossible to run even a couple of laps in VR with the carts due to the severe shaking of the horizon... but now it's almost perfect.

I say almost because I believe for the go-karts and for very bumpy tracks and certain cars I need an even higher setting. As of now, 'high' (a.t.m. 'low' due to bug) is still too bumpy and 'low' (a.t.m. 'high' due to bug) is useless for me. I really hope you can help us out here as I think I'm not alone in this.

Otherwise, great work!!! rFactor 2 might just become my next favorite sim!

Had a blast on Buckmore Park with rentals and 20 lap races in VR! Thanks for the horizon stabilization fix! Looking over my shoulder to see them pushing for the inside corner is thrilling in VR. Previously it would be impossible to run even a couple of laps in VR with the carts due to the severe shaking of the horizon... but now it's almost perfect.

I say almost because I believe for the go-karts and for very bumpy tracks and certain cars I need an even higher setting. As of now, 'high' (a.t.m. 'low' due to bug) is still too bumpy and 'low' (a.t.m. 'high' due to bug) is useless for me. I really hope you can help us out here as I think I'm not alone in this.

Otherwise, great work!!! rFactor 2 might just become my next favorite sim!

Fix for that Stabilize Horizon error was released just now :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back