Battersea Park Secures London ePrix to 2017

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
fe.jpg

Formula E racing is to continue at the Battersea Park street circuit in London until at least 2017 after a local committee voted in favour of retaining the event.

With a double header season ending slot on the calendar secured for June 2nd & 3rd next year, Wandsworth's Overview and Scrutiny committee voted seven to four to retain the race and not invoke a clause in the event contract allowing the city to withdraw from hosting the event. 2015's successful race was run amid complaints from local residents, who felt the disruption caused by closing off several road systems was too great a burden to pay for the running of the first London ePrix last season.

Formula E brings much-needed, ringfenced funding for Battersea Park at a time where the local council is facing cuts of around £30million.

The next opportunity to break the contract will be coming in 2017 with options to extend for further seasons should it be deemed appropriate.

With some of the post-race work still to be completed following the race in June this year, the race organisers will have to up their game next year in order to maintain a place on the Formula E calendar.

Details on specific track layouts for the event are not yet available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it!
Staff
Premium
Good. It was great fun, a decent track with good corners (if a little very narrow and bumpy). I'll be back there this year.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 88 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.6%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 41 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 9.9%
  • €3001-5000