Bahrain Grand Prix organisers have asked Formula 1's governing body to reschedule rather than cancel its race. The Gulf kingdom was scheduled to host the opening race of the 2011 season but it was called off amid civil unrest. Governing body, the FIA, will meet on 3 June to discuss the future of the race and, for the first time, Bahrain say they are ready to hold the Grand Prix. "We feel we are in position to have the event back," said Bahrain International Circuit chairman Zayed Rashid Alzayani. Alzayani said he was hopeful it will be held in October or November to coincide with the Abu Dhabi GP on 13 November. If Bahrain is restored to the 2011 calendar, it has been suggested it could become the penultimate race of the season. F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is believed to be considering 20 November, the week after the Abu Dhabi GP, which could mean the season-ending race in Brazil, scheduled for 27 November, is moved back by a week. Ecclestone is considering moving the Indian GP back to 11 December - or cancelling it - in order to accommodate the return of the Bahrain race to the calendar. Bahrain's race had been scheduled for 13 March but was called off in February because of anti-government protests. Bahrain's Crown Prince made the decision to cancel the race, with Ecclestone commenting at the time that it was the right choice. "Things have calmed down tremendously in Bahrain. Life is back to normal. We are happy to have the race anytime really," added Alzayani. "We went through a rough patch and we need nice moments in our history now for the nation. "Formula 1 has always been a time where Bahrain showcases itself to the world not only as a sports arena but as society, a community that Bahrain as a nation has to offer. Formula 1 can bring back joy to the country." The decision on whether the race goes ahead, and when, will be made during Friday's World Motor Sport Council meeting in Barcelona.