1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Bad to worse for Williams

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Scott Webber, Jan 2, 2012.

1. AT&T drops title sponsorship of Williams

The Williams outfit has lost one its biggest financial backers and title sponsor, US telecommunications giant AT&T, which has been with the team since 2007.

[​IMG]
    The company is no longer listed as title sponsor in the 'Partners' section, but remains listed, suggesting AT&T may remain with reduced backing.

This would also support speculation that Williams have secured a new title sponsor, most likely that of the Qatari National Bank (QNB), which many in the paddock believed to have been in the final stages of agreeing a deal at the end of 2011.

source

2. I hope that bank is better than Qadbak, remember?

3. Qatari National Bank? If they get a podium will they celebrate again with water like in 1979 to 1984? :p

4. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

They should ask Greece to sponsor them. They have received around 5 billion euro of our Dutch tax money we will never see again so why not sponsor a F1 team with it :)

• Like Like x 10
  5. Xosé Estrada

Xosé Estrada
    Premium Member

You are going nuts with Greece!

6. I'm starting to wonder if Williams is going to close doors in a few years.

7. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

Ooooooh, very political. Why not a UK sponsor then? Seeing as we're propping up the whole currency. Haha, just playing. Politics isn't my forte

8. Give the team some of the billions we Western Australians get for our iron ore deposits!

9. Williams is now the modern equivalent of what became of Tyrell.

10. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

Oh how I hope your wrong. But I see similarities.

11. What a shame.

Now it will definitely be who can bring more $ Sutil I think :(

12. Damn Right! :(

13. James Chant

James Chant
    Premium Member

Latesr update:

The Williams team has confirmed it is looking for a new title sponsor after the end of its deal with telecommunications giant AT&T.

AT&T, the largest telecommunications company in the United States and one of the biggest worldwide, had been the team's title sponsor since the 2007 season.

Williams has removed all AT&T branding from its website.

The Grove-based squad endured its worst Formula 1 season in 2011, scoring just five points on its way to ninth place in the constructors' championship.

A team source told the Reuters news agency that Williams was in "advanced negotiations" with another telecommunications company.

Williams is yet to name its second driver for the 2012 season, with Bruno Senna, Adrian Sutil and Rubens Barrichello believed to be in the running.

Venezuelan Pastor Maldonado has already been confirmed for the upcoming season.

Autosport.com

14. If this keeps going on like that, Sir Frank Williams will soon be the guy who's sitting in the team's fastest vehicle.

15. That's harsh...

16. i wonder if its another Venezuelan company like CANTV.. or maybe even Embratel for a williams-senna link...

17. I don't like AT&T anyway

18. James Chant

James Chant
    Premium Member

I hope O2 don't jump in there - the signal on the team radio woulD be terrible!

19. Kyle Puttifer

Kyle Puttifer
    @ Simberia @Simberia

There's rumours that this "other" telecom company is Embratel. If true, we know who the second driver is.
    Fingers crossed.

20. Is it Jenson Button?