Status
Not open for further replies.
Hamilton FP2.jpg

Lewis Hamilton again topped the times with a time about half a second faster than teammate Valtteri Bottas in the second free practice session.

Ferrari’s pace returned after a disappointing first free practice session, with Sebastian Vettel actually splitting the two Mercedes drivers and Raikkonen finishing the session fourth. Vettel was still over half a second slower than Hamilton’s time.

The race runs suggested the race might go as the times suggest, with Hamilton’s race simulations suggesting he’d be running about half a second quicker than Bottas.

Jolyon Palmer’s bad luck continued into the second free practice session. After a mechanical problem in FP1, Palmer was pushing early in the session. The Brit lost the rear of his Renault at the final corner and flew backwards into the barriers, bringing out the red flag.

When the green flag returned, multiple drivers headed onto the track with the ultrasoft tyres, which were only run by Mercedes in FP1. Before any times could come in, though, the yellow flag was brought out when Felipe Massa stopped just off track, his car shutting down.

Multiple drivers had visits through the gravel trap throughout the session.

Haas saw a return of their braking problem. The team struggled with the brakes throughout the latter half of 2016 and during testing, and the problem struck again in FP2. Grosjean locked up at turn three, but the Frenchman managed to keep going.

Red Bull enjoyed a relatively quiet session. Daniel Ricciardo may have been best of the rest in FP1, but the Australian could only managed P5 on the ultrasoft tyres. Teammate Max Verstappen finished the session P6, and didn’t complete many laps after setting that time.

The teenager was sent into the gravel trap whilst on a flying lap. Though he managed to miss the tyre wall and keep going, Verstappen returned to the pits with damage to the front of his car and plenty of grass stuck in his front wing. He didn’t return to the track for the race runs that finished the session.

The session ended with Marcus Ericsson going backwards into the gravel at turn six, bringing out the virtual safety car just before the chequered flag.

Free Practice Two standings:
  1. Lewis Hamilton – Mercedes – 1:23.620
  2. Sebastian Vettel – Ferrari – 1:24.167
  3. Valtteri Bottas – Mercedes – 1:24.176
  4. Kimi Raikkonen – Ferrari – 1:24.525
  5. Daniel Ricciardo – Red Bull – 1:24.650
  6. Max Verstappen – Red Bull – 1:25.013
  7. Carlos Sainz – Toro Rosso – 1:25.084
  8. Romain Grosjean – Haas – 1:25.436
  9. Nico Hulkenberg – Renault – 1:25.478
  10. Daniil Kvyat – Toro Rosso - 1:25.493
  11. Sergio Perez – Force India – 1:25.591
  12. Fernando Alonso – McLaren – 1:26.000
  13. Esteban Ocon – Force India – 1:26.145
  14. Felipe Massa – Williams – 1:26.331
  15. Marcus Ericsson – Sauber – 1:26.498
  16. Lance Stroll – Williams – 1:26.525
  17. Stoffel Vandoorne – McLaren – 1:26.608
  18. Pascal Wehrlein – Sauber – 1:26.919
  19. Kevin Magnussen – Haas – 1:27.279
  20. Jolyon Palmer – Renault – 1:27.549
For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Who do you think will be on the front row in qualifying? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Looking very much that it could be same old- same old if practice is anything to go but I suppose we won't really know what might happen until qualifying but it's looking like Ferrari are going to be the biggest challengers for the podium with Red Bull coming in to play at some point if not at start of season.

It will be interesting to see in Bottas is challenging for the lead or is just acting as Hamilton's wing man at best. I suspect if Ferrari have the pace he could be in for a bit of a baptism of fire as expectations will be high although he will have some leeway short term.

If Lewis sits it on pole you can't really see anyone catching him again provided he keeps it on the island and doesn't have any mechanicals issues. I think the early races are often more about reliability and less about raw speed and driver skills then things start to shake out as the season develops.

We really will not know until tomorrow how close (or not) everyone is. There is still a lot of the unknown after these first two sessions but I really hope that gap to Mercedes (well Hamilton specifically) is not as big as it seems at the moment.

In testing the Mercedes seemed to have the edge on one lap pace (2nd practise seems to confirm it) but over long runs people at Barcelona were saying the Ferrari looked rock solid compared to the Mercedes which was more tricky on the limit.

Will be interesting to see how this race pans out. I didn't watch too many races last year (maybe about four or five) but I will admit the new look cars have caught my curiosity.

In testing the Mercedes seemed to have the edge on one lap pace (2nd practise seems to confirm it) but over long runs people at Barcelona were saying the Ferrari looked rock solid compared to the Mercedes which was more tricky on the limit.

Will be interesting to see how this race pans out. I didn't watch too many races last year (maybe about four or five) but I will admit the new look cars have caught my curiosity.
That didn't seem to be the case in the race sim runs this morning... I think Mercedes left a lot on the table in Spain tests.

That didn't seem to be the case in the race sim runs this morning... I think Mercedes left a lot on the table in Spain tests.

Fair enough matey. It was just general observations from Autosport staff that were at the tests. Maybe the cars were just very heavy on fuel at the time. Their feelings were the Mercedes was the fastest car but the Ferrari seemed at that point to be the better race car.

Fair enough matey. It was just general observations from Autosport staff that were at the tests. Maybe the cars were just very heavy on fuel at the time. Their feelings were the Mercedes was the fastest car but the Ferrari seemed at that point to be the better race car.
That may yet prove to be the case... These FP sessions are still hiding things so we won't really know for sure until Sunday :thumbsup: I hope they are much closer than it looked this morning otherwise we are all going to be disappointed again. Not that I have anything at all against the Mercedes team, I just want to see a season with some much closer racing.

Benutzername

www.hasenkamp-motorsport.de
Premium
I will place my bet ona WC by Lewis

Merceded seems to be a step ahead again, both quali and race pace were better than anyone else i believe.
Especially Hamilton, so he wont even have to be unsecure bout his teammate.
Is the season already done before it started?

Lorenzo Bonder

Wah wah.
I'm looking at this wondering:

Barcelona is not a high downforce track, matter of fact, is really a low downforce track and cars were very much equal there, but if we go into mid-high downforce tracks, is the difference from one car to another this big?

Well if this was a snippet at what a mid-high downforce track brings, this might be somewhat interesting (if not a bit monotonous)

The race runs suggested the race might go as the times suggest, with Hamilton’s race simulations suggesting he’d be running about half a second quicker than Bottas.

I don't think so this time. I watched P2 and it was very fractured. In fact, after the red flag there were several other incidents and the session ended under yellow. Most of the comments I heard opined that both the session, the newness of the car (driver jitters) and engine restrictions (they have only three for the year - WTF? - I'd wait too) caused us not to get a clear picture.

I don't think so this time. I watched P2 and it was very fractured. In fact, after the red flag there were several other incidents and the session ended under yellow. Most of the comments I heard opined that both the session, the newness of the car (driver jitters) and engine restrictions (they have only three for the year - WTF? - I'd wait too) caused us not to get a clear picture.
They are allowed four for the year.. but even so still not enough :rolleyes:. Five last year was a tough one for most teams. If this sort of thing handicaps a driver later in the season it just spoils things. It would make more sense and be fairer for me if it meant the constructor got some sort of penalty rather than the individual driver.

You can never judge too much from these first race FP sessions but I think it's fair to say Mercedes were hiding a lot in Spain.

Loving the Torro Rosso car.. looks very cool :) I really hope they can have a decent season. Would be good to see them progress but have been stuck in that same position for a while now and they are always restricted in how much progress they can make.

Loving the Torro Rosso car.. looks very cool :) I really hope they can have a decent season. Would be good to see them progress but have been stuck in that same position for a while now and they are always restricted in how much progress they can make.

They have better developed engines (they were using a year old Ferrari last year) and have done some good work on the car.They were also impressive in practice. Well, one was.

I'm loving the pace of Sainz. Then again, what's new. Put him in the Merc or the Red Bull and we might have a season.

I'm looking at this wondering:

Barcelona is not a high downforce track, matter of fact, is really a low downforce track and cars were very much equal there, but if we go into mid-high downforce tracks, is the difference from one car to another this big?

Well if this was a snippet at what a mid-high downforce track brings, this might be somewhat interesting (if not a bit monotonous)

I'm not sure this matters. Barcelona *is* a low downforce track in sections and most teams did so many runs (what, 68 full races for Mercedes?) that thy will know the effects of their work on all tracks, since Barcelona was chosen because it has almost every scenario a driver will face in F1. According to stats, you are full throttle:

Australia - 61%
Barcelona - 67%
Hockenheim - 53%

But I do agree, Spain and Australia are completely different in style. Spain is old school, purpose built, only screwed up by the FIA in the last section. Albert Park is like driving in traffic. There is no sector one (Spain) section.

Personally, I think the cars will be fast, period. All tracks. Even on the straights, where they are theoretically supposed to be slower (30%) the driver can get on throttle earlier and off later. So, no loss of speed on the straights. Or very little. And a 30% gain in the corners. I'm not sure everyone realizes how massive this jump is, but I have never seen a speed increase like this in a major series.

They have better developed engines (they were using a year old Ferrari last year) and have done some good work on the car.They were also impressive in practice. Well, one was.

I'm loving the pace of Sainz. Then again, what's new. Put him in the Merc or the Red Bull and we might have a season.
There first half of the season pace is generally always good but it's the lack of development that costs them in the long run.

Benutzername

www.hasenkamp-motorsport.de
Premium
I don't mind the shark fins... but the T wings gotta go...
Could you explain to me why that is your opinion?

I am just a bit stunned that people always want to have these stuff gone.
I think these are innovative solutions. Yep, not really beautful, but innovative. On one hand we complain that the cars look too similar, on the other hand people complain about stuff like that. I like tom see a nose like the Force India, T-Wings, fins. At least from an aerodynamical point of view.

Look at the past:
From this:
lotus_formula_1_1967_wallpapers_1.jpg

To this:
50d1db1aae489e7fc24ce0bfac01da30.jpg

You'd say that the wings, especially the front wings, are really ugly compared to what there was before.
But since then almost every car had wings like that, do we complain about them? No.

That's why i am quite disappointed that Brawn does not like fins and T-Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 84 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 71 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • €1501-3000