Assetto Corsa not butter smooth whatever i do

Greetings.

I didn't know were to upload this thread and sorry if this is the wrong place.

I have a strange problem with all of the versions of AC (1.14, 1.15, 1.16, 1.16.2, 1.16.3 etc). I know that this is kind odd but i do not have butter smooth gaming experience. I have a very sensitive eye in terms of fps/jerkiness. It is an annoying jitter in the visuals. Note this is separate from stuttering. It is a constant uneven framerate, look at the scenery in a turn to see it.

The only version that i have a butter smooth experience (this sounds very odd i know) is the old 1.7.1 version (!!)

I really can't understand why this is happening. My fps are constantly way above 60 fps (> 120 fps in game with all settings to ultra), so fps is not the problem. Even though i have high fps i do not see butter smooth movement (i can see that "jerkiness"/"jittering" in movement especially in "turns"). Same happens even if i turn sync on/off, sync to 60 fps, sync to 61, sync to 83 fps etc, lowering the graphics, removing steering wheel, etc. Even with graphics to low, same happens.

Truth 1: My eye is very sensitive in fps, that's why i can notice it (my friend didn't notice it at all for example). All statistics show no problem

Truth 2: I have a really old 24 inch Dell monitor, but i m not convinced that the monitor is my problem. In other games (ACC, DR2, Race Room Experience i have butter smooth gameplay). With same monitor, same specs.

Truth 3: The problem does not happen in a) benchmarking b) replays

Truth 4: Lots of users face this problem. I recon it is smth with the in - game inability to keep the frames (frame pacing error). It is irrelevant to low or ultra settings/resolution etc

Any thoughts about that?

My log files here for anyone interested: https://www55.zippyshare.com/v/ywyjMj3t/file.html

My rig: ryzen 5 2600x, rtx 2070, 16 GB Ram, latest gfe and driver (3.19.0.107 and 431.60 as we speak)

Last edited:
Super happy I stumbled upon this thread. I was wondering why my view was looking like it was in stop-motion when going around tight hairpins.

Just want to confirm that turning OFF "Extrapolate car state properly" completely fixed it.

I've been having headaches with microstutter since I upgraded my gpu from a GTX1060 to AMD RX7800XT. I even created a thread about it, setting "MAXIMUM_FRAME_LATENCY" to 1 did help alittle at the time but Im still struggling with this issue.

After seeing this thread, disabling "extrapolate car state properly" has helped a little but it's still there. Ive tried every combinations of variable refresh rate, vsync on/off, framerate limits, disabling csp, updating sol etc etc and just cant get rid of the damn microstutter

@EIF
I have the 7800XT too, I have the same problem, I think we talked in the other thread too.
Did you try to set the framerate AND the refreshrate to 166,66 or 111.11Hz or 83.33Hz? In this thread here it was said that the physics engine updates at 3ms therefore it causes stutter if not set at those values (I hope I recalled this correctly)
I will try that next, but I cant acess my rig right now so I can not test it right now.

@IMEAN Yeah I saw that mentioned but I dont see how its possible to set a framerate with decimals. In Content Manager the box turns red and won't apply. I can only set a whole number in Adrenaline also.

Last edited:
@EIF
The commas aren't that important, a system does not work frame perfect anyways ;)
Maybe it helps you with your problem if you get close to those numbers!

Also did you read in the first post there is one csp version OP has smooth gaming with?

Do you use the latest driver? Amd made an update recently that was big.

If you are at it and find the time try to use "capframex" it is a program that can show you the frametimes as a graph while ingame and also benchmark fps and frametmes (they call it "capture" in the program)

Hello i have the same problem. I don't under stand what I have to do for eliminate this issue. If i disable "extrapolate car state properly" the jittering in the corner Is less but there is yet. It seems that Is more noticeable when the Fps are High or when the time of CPU threads Is low around 2ms...

Rtx 4090 and i9 13900kf...i tried every think, vsync on or off ecc...now I play with Gsync and vsync enabled in nvcp with ultra low latency mode on that cap automatically the Fps below the maximum refresh rate of the screen that Is 180hz. I play with a fixed cockpit camera because i have a triple screen mounted on a Dynamic rig. The only think that solve the problem is to fix the Fps on multiple of 3ms...but I Hope that there is an another solutions, because this Is really annoyng, frustrating and ridicolous for Kunos....

Interesting! I have a 13600kf so maybe it is CPU related after all!

I tried everything regarding CPU, disabled e cores, disabled hyperthreading, disabled XMP....

The things I did not try was to disable cores in Bios or reduce the Clock Speed of the CPU you might try that next if you have the energy, I gave up on it.

Somehow I fixed it....!
I updated the video driver, I activated resizable bar in bios, both didn't change anything but then I changed the "extrapolate car state properly" to off and now AC is smooth!
I mention the things that did not change anything because I tried the "extrapolate" off before and it didn't work for me and now for some reason it does and the only changes as far as I remember are the two mentioned ones.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.