Assetto Corsa Mod Celebration - 10,000 Uploads!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
10,000_AC_mods.jpg

The sim racing modding community is awesome! Recently we reached the milestone of over 10,000 Assetto Corsa mod uploads here at RaceDepartment!

Yes, you heard it right - 10,000! TEN THOUSAND uploads by our awesome Assetto Corsa modding community. 10000 pieces of content, from cars, tracks, skins, apps and more for the wonderful Assetto Corsa racing simulation on PC.

Assetto Corsa Mods: Check out the AC Mods Download section HERE.

These mods have been crafted with love and care by the sim racing community, and represent some incredible enhancements to a great racing simulation - yet further expanding the gaming experience for everyone who enjoys their virtual racing with this title.

Mod Chat: Check out the Assetto Corsa Modding Discussion sub forum HERE.

To celebrate this milestone, and to say a massive 'thank you' to all those talented individuals who spend their time working hard to bring content for us to enjoy, wouldn't it be good if we could have a central place to offer up our collective thanks, and to tell the world about some of the mega content you've downloaded and enjoyed over the years?

Here is that place!

Please use the comments section below to say your thanks to the sim racing modding community, and to share with us all your thoughts on some of the best cars, tracks, skins, apps and additions the community have brought to Assetto Corsa over the years.

Sim Racing is AWESOME!

AC Mods Discussion 1.jpg
AC Mods Discussion 2.jpg
AC Mods Discussion 3.jpg
AC Mods Discussion 5.jpg

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

This is incredible! i remember the first time i came here.. from my Xbox (and my forza motorsport game) to my PC. Basicaly from the Xbox Wheel to my Direct Drive.

Since, i came here Everyday.

To all modders: thank you so much for your passion & devotion to simracing. YOU ARE FxxIN' AWESOME! :inlove:

A Skin is not what i consider a mod, allthough its a modification of the game. A bit fakey that record, but thats just me.
I disagree with this comment, but I don't want to stick a red 'X' on your comment :D

Ok, maybe a skin isn't as complex a mod as a car or track, requiring months or years to create, but they still represent skinners spending hours and hours of their own time. The research, sourcing logos, creating logos that don't exist (or exist in low quality) just to bring everyone authentic, up-to-date (or classic) looking grids, should not be under-estimated or under-valued in any way!

7,452 skins... equals many more times that in hours of dedication...
Probably combined, a few actual years of all the skinners times...
That is no 'fakey' record at all!

I disagree with this comment, but I don't want to stick a red 'X' on your comment :D

Thank you for not x-ing me out ;)

I was just reacting to the headline and while i download ~90% of all track-mods, i downloaded ~100 well done skins(thats ~1.5% of all skins), and for those i am grateful. as they add to the game.

My text was reflecting that "10.000 AC-mods" is a headline thats not correct.
A modder is a modder, and a skinner is a skinner, they are separate skills at least where i came from (I was modding and skinning before the actual gen of sims). If a skinner would´ve called himself a modder than he would hang on a tree. ;)

so, to all modders and skinners:
Thank you for increasing the experience of AC. Without you i would´ve quit simracing already. :thumbsup:

I think the car number is very impressive as huge number of those are brand new content. Which in most cases means ac managed to create a totally new group of modders from 0. With tracks we have also seen more converted content (compared to cars) but ac has still majority of brand new content. And more new stuff is coming out weekly.

Just for comparison's sake for example fallout 3 has 14.9k mods available for it at "mod-site". That is a game that is a lot more popular game than ac and it "only" managed to make 1.5 as many mods for it. In fact just racedepartment's 10k number would put ac as 7th most popular game in "mod-site". That is massive accomplishment on its own. Both for ac and race department!

I think ac also appeared at the perfect time where track conversions don't make much sense anymore. There are now various resources available in the internet for creating very accurate tracks using freely available lidar scans and other mapping services that means the track accuracy is completely on different level compared to the "last gen" stuff. There is not really much sense to spend long times converting old stuff into ac when there is so much data that makes it very sensible to start from scratch. I think ac's different structure also protected it somewhat from those plethora of single click conversion from older rf based games and from old gpl conversions.

I think kunos also deserves a positive mention here. The tools and documentation provided for modders has been amazing. Nothing is ever perfect but as far as resources and sharing information goes the ac devs really did amazing job. The car creation pdfs are irreplaceable resource of information never ever before seen in sim racing. The sdk does great job at what it does and all the other little tools really provide excellent support net for anybody thinking about doing something with ac. The data files were very nicely documented and commented and they even made their tire files available for everybody. That kind of trust into the community and faith into their own product has paid back hundredfold with the success of the game.

And the game really supports modding beautifully. Changing sounds, making skins and apps is lightyears ahead of anything the genre has ever seen. All the detail that went into all that is what really made ac as a modding platform so far ahead of anything else. It has not only made it possible for people to start from 0 and create amazing brand new content for sim racing but it has also allowed the community to pick up the game and keep developing it. There is not much that could have been improved when it comes to modding in ac. Even if there are over 7000 skins made for ac in my mind just highlights how well made the skinning system is in ac. Skinning is one of the most basic level form of modding and as such one of the most important ones as everyone can do it and when I see over 7k skins I see a game that has done excellent job with is skinning system. Not a failure at modding because out of 10k mods 7k are "just" skins.

Racedepartment has done very good job supporting ac. When ac killed the modding on their forums rd did amazing job making a new home for all those people. It is scary to think ac modding might even be bigger if the modding forums had been on rd from the day 1. Over time it has really made rd the central resource for mods. A perfect combination of archiving, promotion and support for this little niche called modding racing sims.

edit: changed mod sites names to avoid them being ***
Kunos initiative to include a modding section was a huge factor, it prompted many noobs like me to step into the modding/content creation world, with pretty much no influence from other "older" modding realms. It was very healthy in that regard, especially by upholding standards like "no rips" to a much higher value than other communities seem to do.
After the closure of those subforums everything shifted to here, and I'm sure for outsiders the modding scene may feel like some highly barricaded fortress that welcomes no newcomers - it is not, everyone is welcome, but they should keep an eye on how people do things and if in doubt just ask

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 135 86.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 55 35.0%