ANI file crashing game

The newly created ANI file is causing the game to crash. I'm adding animated marshals into some of my new track builds.

But i've forgotten how to do it. What i have done is copy and paste an existing ANI file from one of my earlier tracks where the ani marshals are working,
Edited the X,Z,Y accordingly,
Organized them into Left, and right
Left the two empty lines at the bottom before the final }
Loaded the marshal textures into the trackmap file.
Ensured there is at least one LEFT and one RIGHT marshal in each timing sector.

The track loads, gets as far as the garage screen, where the track appears in the monitor for a second (without SKybox) then the game crashes. I seem to recall having this problem before the first time i tried including ani Marshalls and i can't remember what causes it, or what the solution is. i know it's something really simple i've forgotten to do.

Anyone know? Zwiss or Bjarne I think you may know?

18 tracks almost complete but I'd love to add marshals into them all as a finishing touch.

Pasted below is the text from the ANI file, and attached is the trace.

// Long Sleeved Males :-
// M-Crowd_Bloke-1.LMA = M-FanBloke-1.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE01
// M-FanBloke-2.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE02
// M-FanBloke-3.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE03
// M-FanBloke-4.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE04
// M-FanBloke-5.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE05
//
// Short Sleeved Males :-
// M-Crowd_Bloke-2.LMA = M-FanBloke-6.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE06
// M-FanBloke-7.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE07
// M-FanBloke-8.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE08
// M-FanBloke-9.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE09
// M-FanBloke-10.gmt - WC_FANBLOKE10
//
// Females :-
// M-Crowd_Female-1.LMA = M-FanFemale-1.gmt - WC_FANFEMALE01
// M-FanFemale-2.gmt - WC_FANFEMALE02
// M-FanFemale-3.gmt - WC_FANFEMALE03
// M-FanFemale-4.gmt - WC_FANFEMALE04
// M-FanFemale-5.gmt - WC_FANFEMALE05
// ____________________________________________________________
// Camera Men :-
// M-Crowd_Cam.LMA = M-FanCam-1.gmt - WC_CAM_01
// M-FanCam-2.gmt - WC_CAM_02
// M-FanCam-3.gmt - WC_CAM_03
// M-FanCam-4.gmt - WC_CAM_04
// M-FanCam-5.gmt - WC_CAM_05
//
// Anims for CamerMan :- A-Idle_CamCrouch-1.LMA (short version)
// A-Idle_CamCrouch-2.LMA (Longer version)
// A-Idle_CamStood-1.LMA (short version)
// A-Idle_CamStood-2.LMA (Longer version)

Motions=FLAGMOTIONS
{
Files=A-FlagMarshal-Idle.lma|||A-WaveFlag-L.lma|||A-WaveFlag-R.lma
}

//----------- Flagmarchalls -------------

Object=FLAGMARSHAL // ONE
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(515.0000, -2.10000, -266.000) AutoRotate=towards
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // TWO
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(-197.5000, 2.1000, -153.7000 ) AutoRotate=towards
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 1
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-3.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(487.0000, -2.10000, -214.00000 ) AutoRotate=towards
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 2
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-2.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(541.0000, -2.10000, -316.00000 ) AutoRotate=towards
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 3
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(242.000000, -2.1000, -408.000000 ) AutoRotate=towards
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 4
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(298.0000, -2.1000, -289.000 ) AutoRotate=towards
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 5
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(423.9000, -2.1000, -315.000 ) AutoRotate=towards
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 6
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-3.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(104.5000, -2.1000, -140.70000 ) AutoRotate=towards
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 7
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-2.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(-111.000, 1.1000, -213.7000 ) AutoRotate=along
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 8
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-3.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(-126.5000, 0.55000, -62.4000 ) AutoRotate=towards
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 9
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(-420.5000, -2.0000, 197.7000) AutoRotate=towards
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 10
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(-289.5000, -1.9000, 197.7000 ) AutoRotate=towards
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 11
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-4.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(-59.60000, -2.000, 129.20000) AutoRotate=towards
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 12
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-3.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(16.0000, -2.1000, -15.95000 ) AutoRotate=towards
}
Object=FLAGMARSHAL // LEFT 13
{
MeshFile=M-FlagMarshal-2.gmt ActorFile=M-FlagMarshal-1.lma Motions=FLAGMOTIONS Pos=(202.5000, -2.1000, -46.9000) AutoRotate=along

}

Attachments

• trace.txt
    64 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Have you checked the trace file?
It's attached.
I can't see from it what's causing the crash. The more i think about it, the more i recall having this same problem the first time i added Ani-flag marshals, and the solution is really simple. Just can't remember what it is.

I think i just remembered the problem.... You've got to have at least one flag marshal in each sector. Gonna go and double check their positions and see if that fixes it.

18 tracks? Wow, that's one heck of an undertaking
I started them in 2018, when i very first began to learn how to mod. I didn't do any work on them through the whole of 2019, but got back into it last summer. They're all pretty much finished now, along with 50 liveries for a car series. Right now i'm just updating some textures as most of the textures for track, grass, wall, billboard, building etc I've painted myself.

I've got one track I need to reprofile the first corner to help the AI flow more easily, and one track where the pitlane AIW WPs need tweaking, and 15 need the ANI Marshals added. Then i'm finished and will upload the mod here on RD.

But yeah.... it's been a massive undertaking though i'm really pleased with what i've created.

I made sure each sector has a marshal. It's strange, because the ANI file is identical to one which works ( except the X,Z,Y data has been edited)

the track loads briefly, then crashes.

All the marshal and flag textures are loaded into the GTRmap, and I left the two empty lines at the end of text.

I'm wondering if it's the track layout.... it has a couple of loops, and that may cause a problem with the game recognizing which side of the track the marshal is, perhaps i should remove all the right side (inside) marshals and use only left side (outside) locations.

Attachments

• Banb_LOD.jpg
    Banb_LOD.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 49
UPDATE: Taking an existing ANI file created for one of my other track builds, Editing X,Z,Y and retaining two empty lines at end.

I've tried the following;

Left Side Marshals Only with minimum one each sector = Crash
Right Side Marshals Only with minimum one each sector = Crash
Left and Right Side Marshals with minimum one each sector = Crash

Animated Fans / Camera Spectators = successful load and run

It's baffled me how the spectators can load and run but the marshals will crash the track, even though the ANI file is created exactly the same way, only the X,Z,Y data is changed.

Utterly lost on this one, looks like i will have to forego having ANI marshals in this track.

Here's the latest.

I was able to get the game to run the track with the ANI flag marshals in place but it crashes at turn five before ANI flag marshal six.

Oddly, if i exit the pits and do a full lap in reverse direction i can pass and see all the flag marshals. I can then pit, and return to track, doing a full lap with the ANI flag marshals in place.

But if i exit the event, reload the track, and then just drive out on track once i get to turn 5 before ANI flag marshal six it crashes.

To reiterate, there's an ANI flag marshal in each sector, none of the marshals are close to other section of track, text has two empty lines at the end.

Completely lost as to how i can fix this issue. All help is appreciated.

Here's the latest.

I was able to get the game to run the track with the ANI flag marshals in place but it crashes at turn five before ANI flag marshal six.

Oddly, if i exit the pits and do a full lap in reverse direction i can pass and see all the flag marshals. I can then pit, and return to track, doing a full lap with the ANI flag marshals in place.

But if i exit the event, reload the track, and then just drive out on track once i get to turn 5 before ANI flag marshal six it crashes.

To reiterate, there's an ANI flag marshal in each sector, none of the marshals are close to other section of track, text has two empty lines at the end.

Completely lost as to how i can fix this issue. All help is appreciated.
Hey. So sometimes GTR2 just simply does not like the location of a marshal for some random reason and it'll cause a crash.

If you currently have a single marshal in each sector, go out and change their position slightly, 1 by 1, and then reload and test. That way you can narrow down which marshal is causing the issue.

Do the same for each new one you add, after every 1 or 2 new marshals, do a quick test. Then you can tell what does and doesn't work.

Hey. So sometimes GTR2 just simply does not like the location of a marshal for some random reason and it'll cause a crash.

If you currently have a single marshal in each sector, go out and change their position slightly, 1 by 1, and then reload and test. That way you can narrow down which marshal is causing the issue.

Do the same for each new one you add, after every 1 or 2 new marshals, do a quick test. Then you can tell what does and doesn't work.
It's so odd. i seem to be able to pass the first five marshals no problem, and i can pass all 12 in the wrong direction.. I did try deleting them one by one and trying the track to see which one was the problem... but yes i will try your way of repositioning slightly and adding one at a time.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have you been able to pin down the issue? Facing the same problem, tried everything - extra empty lines at the end, at least one marshal per sector, moved them around a bit, even replaced the custom ANI file with one from vanilla GTR2 tracks (without any modifications, just to see what happens) - same result, the game crashes in the same corner. If all marshals are removed from ANI, everything works fine.

Okay, in case someone else comes across this thread looking for a solution... for me the culprit was incorrectly calculated sector length in AIW file. Basically sector_2_length was smaller than sector_1_length. Which proves that marshals placings do depend on sectors. If the crash is caused by this, it will occur upon or soon after entering the "bad" sector and it does not matter whether you have reached/seen any particular marshal or not.

Gee, what a buggy piece of sh...oftware...

Have you been able to pin down the issue? Facing the same problem, tried everything - extra empty lines at the end, at least one marshal per sector, moved them around a bit, even replaced the custom ANI file with one from vanilla GTR2 tracks (without any modifications, just to see what happens) - same result, the game crashes in the same corner. If all marshals are removed from ANI, everything works fine.
extra empty lines at the end, DONE
at least one marshal per sector, DONE
moved them around a bit DONE

Deleted all but one in each sector, then slowly added one at a time DONE
Ensured marshalls on one side of track were not too close to any other part of track DONE

Problem not solved.

Okay, in case someone else comes across this thread looking for a solution... for me the culprit was incorrectly calculated sector length in AIW file. Basically sector_2_length was smaller than sector_1_length. Which proves that marshals placings do depend on sectors. If the crash is caused by this, it will occur upon or soon after entering the "bad" sector and it does not matter whether you have reached/seen any particular marshal or not.

Gee, what a buggy piece of sh...oftware...
Ok that's interesting. I'll check that. Thanks.

I've still not been able to solve this problem.
There seems to be an issue when the player enters sector 2. That's when the game crashes, but only with the ANI file loaded. (without ANI the track runs ok.

Having gone back into the original BTB I've edited the timing gate positions to make each sector the exact same distance (total lap length divided by 3)
Doing this fixes the problem of crashing the game with the ANI file loaded. However, the timing gates are no longer functional.

So no sector time, laptime, or lap count is recorded.

It's driving me mad that I can't fix this.
Any solutions?

Last edited:
UPDATE: Solved / fixed.

I tried literally everything i could think of to fix the ANI file..
Turned out.... it wasn't the ANI file at all.

As Nebher mentioned, it was the sector lengths.
I Went into the AIW and changed the sector data to make all three sectors equal distance. Taking the total lap length, dividing by three, and applying the distance to each sector.

lap_length=3937.543
sector_1_length=1312.514
sector_2_length=2625.029

That solved the ANI issue. Now the track was drivable with the marshals in place but the timing data didn't work.

So went back into BTB original track build venue and adjusted position of the timing gates and start finish points, ensuring each sector was 33.33% lap distance. Exported as a new UNFINISHED track.

Opened the FINISHED track in 3DsimED and removed the existing timing gates. Saved/exported the track without timing gates, (both track.GTR and trk files.).

Then imported the new UNFINISHED track into 3DsimEd and copy/paste the timing gates from it into the FINISHED track, saved/exported once again but now with the new timing gates.

Track runs perfectly fine now with the ANI and sector timing / lap data is operative.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back