Alain Prost Joins Renault as Adviser

Prost renault.jpg
Four-time Formula One world champion Alain Prost will join Renault as a special adviser to the team.

Prost’s role will not be a day to day one, but will instead work behind the scenes, using his experience as a driver and a team boss to help push the team forward as part of their long term plan. He will also be part of Renault Sport’s executive committee.

“He will bring to the team his great experience,” said Renault Sport Racing president, Jerome Stoll. “Also an ability to talk with the drivers and having a specific network for that.”

“My position would be from a little bit more behind,” Prost explained at the team’s car launch. “Sometimes it’s good to have this kind of situation. Being at the committee is very important and together with Jerome and Cyril [Abiteboul] what is important is to give the input and to give the best decision possible to have the best strategy possible to be a winning team in the future.”

This won’t be the first time Prost has been involved with Renault since his days racing for the team early in his F1 career. The Frenchman was a Renault ambassador before the manufacturer returned to the sport as a full works team. He also co-founded the Renault e.dams Formula E team, where he currently works as a senior team manager.

Prost will attend testing, and is looking forward to seeing the future of F1.

“It’ll be curious to see the drivers, and what they say after a few laps with the fast corners,” he said. “It’s going to be a big challenge for them physically, but I think it’s very positive for Formula One because I think you need a new cycle.

“These cars are going to be very impressive. We can also bring new spectators and, I hope, young spectators.

“I think [F1] needs to have two goals. The first is to bring new spectators, new young guys talking about more interactivity – more or less what we do in Formula E. And to give back the role to the drivers. We need to have a more human side. People are more interested about the driver’s performance rather than the technology. The technology comes a little bit later.”

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Do you think Prost will make a difference at the team? Do you agree with his thoughts on F1 as a whole? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

R

ronniej

• ronniej

“I think [F1] needs to have two goals. The first is to bring new spectators, new young guys talking about more interactivity – more or less what we do in Formula E. And to give back the role to the drivers. We need to have a more human side. People are more interested about the driver’s performance rather than the technology. The technology comes a little bit later.”

Do you agree with his thoughts on F1 as a whole?

Very much so.

Sure, drivers have made the F1. There are too much assistances/technologies.
Now you can fire Cyril Abiteboul.

Do you think Prost will make a difference at the team?

Absolutely, even in a minor consultancy role the experience Prost brings would help just about any team and or driver. He went up against some of the best drivers of all time, and knows the challenges of being in a backmarker team as well.

I agree with him about the drivers being given a larger role though to be fair I'm not sure how. He speaks of the interactivity of formula E, and this is a red flag, **** like fanboost is not giving the drivers more agency. In my mind Liberty should look more towards what's happening in the SRO group and the WEC.

fanboost is not giving the drivers more agency
I have to disagree here. The Fanboost has totally made teams and drivers more likely to interact with fans and the number of give aways in the series is crazy. Plus, the fanboost itself has a negligible impact on the race.
I don't think Fanboost would be right for F1, but I think the series needs to explore a wide range of ideas to get fans closer to their heroes

Agreed, but I would argue the solution is a whole lot simpler, embrace modern broadcasting like the WEC/SRO group etc.

Refreshing to see someone take the stance FOR Fanboost, I still don't care for the concept but hey, good to know someone does. :)

Refreshing to see someone take the stance FOR Fanboost, I still don't care for the concept but hey, good to know someone does.
I've had an obsession with the Fanboost since season 1. I find it fascinating to see why fans vote for different drivers, how drivers/teams go about trying to get the fans votes, and I love how it's made proper connections between fans and teams in such a short space of time.
On track, it's pretty much nothing but off track it's really interesting.

But yeah, other ways of broadcasting would also be great.

He said that F1 has nothing to do today in comparison with his era.
Too much technologie and assistance that make the F1 so easy to drive.
For example he explained that the driver is not involved today in the setup of the car which is made by telemetry and people from the paddock.
I agree with him. Drivers have to recover their place.

If you prohibit telemetry during qualifications and races, it would probably changes the results.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 92 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 128 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 85 17.5%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 9.9%
  • €3001-5000