Ai braking points vs player braking points

Alz_D

Back on the sim-racing bandwagon!
Premium
So I've had a play around with this tonight, getting a feel for a few different cars and tracks. Had a go of one of the new touring cars, the M235i, Porsche GT3 to name a few. Each time I was racing against adaptive ai - now I'm way out of practice and nowhere near fast but one thing I've noticed is the ai seem to be able to stop way faster than me? So many times I've clipped the back of an ai car because I just can't stop even when I start braking before they do. Is this just me and my poor braking technique?

Probably technique. I'm no expert on how the AI works or whether they use the same physics as the player, but I wouldn't be surprised if they brake in a very efficient (perfect?) manner to minimise their braking distance.

I sometimes see the same racing online. I brake at what seems to be the same point as the guy in front, yet he seems to get stopped far quicker than I do despite us both being in ABS-enabled cars. Probably all in the footwork. ;)

Maybe I have been spoilt a bit by ACC as you can really stand on the brakes in those cars. Think I need to get some more practice in!

Without being the uber expert in that part I think its mainly because the AIbots use a much more simple TM than human player cars.
To the best of my knowledge most racing games have the same problem.
Something in between this simplistic vs more advanced TM is rF2 where the AIs use the TM from rF1.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: One of the reasons I dont care about "racing" against AIs is actually because of this pretty unrealistic issue. And ofcourse also because none of the racing games (I know of) actually use something that can be named artificial intelligence. Because the "intelligence" is up til now only some unintelligent rules and algoritms for what the bots shall do in certain situations:roflmao:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.