ACC tyre rotation speed an blurring question

Hi,

I have recently started getting into ACC and am enjoying it very much. I'm increasing my safety rating offline so I can get into the LFM races at the moment.

I have noticed something odd graphically that I was wondering of there was a fix for or maybe my settings or it's just part of ACC and I need to just get used to it.

What I notice is that the rotation speed of the vehicle tyres looks odd as you transition from low speed to highers speeds.

As the vehicle rolls slowly, ai and player cars, you can see the wheels rotate at the speed of the road rolling underneath. As you transition to higher speeds the wheels change to a slightly semi blurred image that does not match the speed of the road and it looks like the car is skating on the road as opposed to a car sitting on rolling tyres.

Replays also look a bit odd as you slow them down as the blurred wheel effect doesn't look like it matched the speed of the car.

I notice this on the rolling starts looking at ai cars and also for example at places like turn 1 at monza where you can see the sides of ai cars as they turn in ahead of you. It's a little off putting and a minor visual inconvenience.

Is this something that can be changed through the settings, or is it something that I just need to learn to live with?

Sorry for thelong winded question, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I have recently started getting into ACC and am enjoying it very much. I'm increasing my safety rating offline so I can get into the LFM races at the moment.

I have noticed something odd graphically that I was wondering of there was a fix for or maybe my settings or it's just part of ACC and I need to just get used to it.

What I notice is that the rotation speed of the vehicle tyres looks odd as you transition from low speed to highers speeds.

As the vehicle rolls slowly, ai and player cars, you can see the wheels rotate at the speed of the road rolling underneath. As you transition to higher speeds the wheels change to a slightly semi blurred image that does not match the speed of the road and it looks like the car is skating on the road as opposed to a car sitting on rolling tyres.

Replays also look a bit odd as you slow them down as the blurred wheel effect doesn't look like it matched the speed of the car.

I notice this on the rolling starts looking at ai cars and also for example at places like turn 1 at monza where you can see the sides of ai cars as they turn in ahead of you. It's a little off putting and a minor visual inconvenience.

Is this something that can be changed through the settings, or is it something that I just need to learn to live with?

Sorry for thelong winded question, any feedback is greatly appreciated.
It´s something known. Tha game is like this and this "speed wheel issue" can´t be fixed. It seems it´s something related to game graphics engine and can´t be easily changed. So we have to deal with it.

Yep I assume they use the Radial Motion Blur from Unreal Engine at higher speeds.
Apologies for the late bump I only now noticed the replies. Thanks both. While I agree that the graphics engine is causing this in some part I feel like there is something else that I can't come to grips with or understand.

I think something fundamentally weird is going on with ACC's core physics and the tyres as a physical rotating object.

If you view the car from an external side view, like chase view and look left or right, and applying ultra low throttle while stopped. The car will creep forwards but the wheels, both front and back, will not rotate. This would discount any Blur effects from the graphics engine in this scenario.

Once you apply a little more throttle the wheels start turning.

I've only tested this on GT3 cars.

If anyone knows how ACC simulates tyre rotation, and why this is observable I would love to know and learn a little bit of what is going on under the hood of ACC.

Unreal Engine automatically blurs rotating objects. That looks good when rotation speeds are pretty low but it looks terrible when rotation speeds are like the ones you find on typical car tyres.
The solution was a cascade off hacks with the main one being lying about the rotation speed so Unreal won't apply its motion blur and fade in a blurred texture.

The good news is that what you see on the screen when it comes to tyres rotation has nothing to do with what the physics below is doing and it's just trying to mitigate the problems coming from UE, so don't worry about that, just enjoy driving.

Last edited:
Unreal Engine automatically blurs rotating objects. That looks good when rotation speeds are pretty low but it looks terrible when rotation speeds are like the ones you find on typical car tyres.
The solution was a cascade off hacks with the main one being lying about the rotation speed so Unreal won't apply its motion blur and fade in a blurred texture.

The good news is that what you see on the screen when it comes to tyres rotation has nothing to do with what the physics below is doing and it's just trying to mitigate the problems coming from UE, so don't worry about that, just enjoy driving.
Legend for replying and checking this out! Hope you are doing good in The Hague!

Thanks for the reply Stefano, and building upon the first responses.

Maybe Kunos should talk to the makers of the Moto GP series of games as they use Unreal engine also and there are no such problems with tire and wheel blur when it comes rotation.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 266 67.9%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 178 45.4%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 190 48.5%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 82 20.9%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 106 27.0%
Back