8020 confusion

I am looking to buy this 8020 cockpit, but I am confused about something when it comes to 8020 rigs. The above TK Racing Cockpit comes with a front mount for the wheel base. However, I have an Accuforce v2, and it mounts from the bottom only, so need a wheel deck. The issue is the company does not make a wheel deck for their cockpit. The width seems somewhat standard at 500MM between the bars, so was wondering if any wheel deck would work? I would assume that most of the keyboard trays, gear shift mounts, etc. work between 8020 rigs (am I correct here?), but wasn't sure about this wheel deck itself.

The reason I am looking at this rig is the price and quality. I am in the U.S. and there are not as many options here, and what we do find tends to be more expensive. This would get me the cockpit, keyboard tray, computer tray (would use for sub and Buttkicker amp), mouse tray, slider for seat, and a 3 monitor stand. And all of this is for less than $1000 USD. I have also seen it in person and it was rock solid.

I would have to add the following, and was hoping other brands would work with it.

1. Shifter mount- $25 (Sim Lab)
2. Hand Brake mount - $25 (Sim Lab)
3. Wheel deck - $120 (Sim Lab)
4. Seat.- $325

In short, I could get out for ~1500 including the monitor stand (one I have is ~1" (25mm) too narrow, and was able to confirm it will not fit under my current stand) and seat. I was able to actually see it in person and feel it. Not just take ones word for it.

Any info on compatibility between different 8020 rigs would be appreciated.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Keep in mind that there might be difference between EU and US extrusions. And do not get green, matching with anything else will be impossible, black always works the best as per Henry Ford. :)

• Deleted member 197115

And by looking at the pictures it looks like this front mount can be converted to wheeldeck by just flipping it and mounting horizontally.

Keep in mind that there might be difference between EU and US extrusions. And do not get green, matching with anything else will be impossible, black always works the best as per Henry Ford. :)
I didn't even think about that. Typically in the US we go metric on things like this, but it is definitely not a given.

I agree on the green. They have a black version, but you have to buy piece by piece, so it costs a lot more. I have to get the cost to the point of passing the "Wife approval process". I wish it was easier to buy from the EU, but you never know what fees are going be applied, so hard to know what you are paying even if you talk to your bank or credit card company ahead of time. However, much of the time it is still less. Microcenter does have the P1-X, but doubt it will pass the wife approval process.

Edit: I noticed this in the description.
"Universal Design to fit the major brands". You would think all major brands use EU extrusion.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

I did not pay any additional fees for P1-X ordered directly from Sim-Lab, I also believe they have some US dealers. Microcenter as you mentioned is one of them.
Thanksgiving is around the corner and sim-lab usually have sales, may be wait to see if you can save some then. USD is pretty strong comparing to EURO now..

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking to buy this 8020 cockpit, but I am confused about something when it comes to 8020 rigs. The above TK Racing Cockpit comes with a front mount for the wheel base. However, I have an Accuforce v2, and it mounts from the bottom only, so need a wheel deck. The issue is the company does not make a wheel deck for their cockpit. The width seems somewhat standard at 500MM between the bars, so was wondering if any wheel deck would work? I would assume that most of the keyboard trays, gear shift mounts, etc. work between 8020 rigs (am I correct here?), but wasn't sure about this wheel deck itself.
I have a hybrid Trak Racer TR160 and SimLab P1-X rig and their wheel decks are different widths.

For example Trak Racer TR160 has a 580mm wheel deck, and SimLab P1-X has a 600mm wheel deck, because the latter uses 2 x 10mm sandwich plates to mount the vertical 120mm Aluminum Extrusion.

Thus just be mindful how your rig vertical uprights are mounted. Assuming your rig is metric and the inside of your rig is 500mm wide, from your pictures it looks like 500mm + 40mm + 40mm = 580mm (where 40mm = the width of your base profile).

For SimLab P1-X it is 500mm +40mm + 40mm + 10mm + 10mm = 600m (where 10mm is width of their additional sandwich plate mounts).

Separately I've powder coated my rig after market. It's expensive, thus if you plan to add more extrusion later, then get black upfront.

I have a hybrid Trak Racer TR160 and SimLab P1-X rig and their wheel decks are different widths.

For example Trak Racer TR160 has a 580mm wheel deck, and SimLab P1-X has a 600mm wheel deck, because the latter uses 2 x 10mm sandwich plates to mount the vertical 120mm Aluminum Extrusion.

Thus just be mindful how your rig vertical uprights are mounted. Assuming your rig is metric and the inside of your rig is 500mm wide, from your pictures it looks like 500mm + 40mm + 40mm = 580mm (where 40mm = the width of your base profile).

For SimLab P1-X it is 500mm +40mm + 40mm + 10mm + 10mm = 600m (where 10mm is width of their additional sandwich plate mounts).

Separately I've powder coated my rig after market. It's expensive, thus if you plan to add more extrusion later, then get black upfront.
I was also looking at the TR120 and TR160. Are you happy with the TR160, or do you find the SimLab P1-X parts to be better? The green is a turnoff with the cockpit I linked to, however, I do usually run a black and green car as my paint job when I race, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I am not as into looks as much as functionality, as I have one friend who sim races, and his setup is a Franken Rig. He had a wheel stand, and he bought a seat add on that didn't fit, so he made it fit. So even what I have now is "fancy" to him. Also, my current cockpit has so many holes drilled in it with mismatched parts that the green looks great in comparison. Also, the car I raced back in the '80s was green ;).

Last edited:
TK rig represents a good value IMO.

Two reviews of the TK rig--both critical of the difficulty to adjust triple monitors.

Other reviewer noted the pedal deck is only drilled for Heusinkveld pedals and wheel mount is designed for Simucube.

Could not determine whether the TK rig uses metric (4040) or fractional (1515) profiles, but I suspect the former.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221018-211121_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221018-211121_Chrome.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20221018-211144_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221018-211144_Chrome.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 35
Coincidentally there is another thread related to TK rig, may be check with OP on what is the issue with stability of it.
Thanks for the info. A little concerned that his pedal deck is flexing. That is one of the reasons I am upgrading as my hardware is a little much for my current rig and I am really wanting to get as stable of a rig as possible without having to work on it all the time to make it better. I spend more time working on my rig than I do driving.

• Deleted member 197115

I can attest to the rock solid stability of P1-X though, including pedal deck.
I believe the secret is that sim-lab is using custom made brackets for critical mounting points instead of off the shelf corners.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can attest to the rock solid stability of P1-X though, including pedal deck.
I believe the secret is that sim-lab is using custom made brackets for critical mounting points instead of off the shelf corners.
I am not rich enough for the P1-X :). Wife is understanding, but only up to a point. I was also looking at Trak Racer (TR120 or TR 160) as they have a warehouse not too far from me, and an office in the same state. I figured shipping would be easy from them since I am just down the road.

Last edited:
Are you happy with the TR160, or do you find the SimLab P1-X parts to be better?
Trak Racer has improved their game during Covid lockdown, and their Aluminum Extrusion is thicker and better than a couple of years ago.

In my view their extrusion is almost on par, other than Trak Racer's extrusion cuts were rougher and came with metal shaving that needed to be cleaned off.

However both are anodised and scratch easily, so I prefer Advanced Sim Racing's extrusion, which is powder coated.

I preferred SimLab's bolts and t-nuts, but I like Trak Racer's corner brackets.

One quirk is SimLab's bolt heads are larger and don't fit easily into some of Trak Racer's corner brackets.

I also preferred SimLab's pedal tray but Trak Racer's wheel mount, so my base is P1-X and everything above the base is Trak Racer.

Trak Racer also sells parts that strengthen my triple monitor side arms to eliminate sag.

Having said that, I now use Simcore's side wheel mount, however I like the look of Advanced Sim Racing's new, even more flexible wheel mount.

In a nutshell, both the TR-160 and P1-X are excellent rigs and I'd recommend whichever is easier and cheaper for you to access, which sounds like Trak Racer.

On a side note, if you eventually want to install chassis motion, I'm not sold on the TR120. Motion actuator need to be aligned in a square or rectangular shape, however the TR120 is narrower in the front, which may cause issues adding motion in the future.

Thanks for everyones help. I ended up buying the Trak Racer TR160. The cheaper one at Microcenter (TK Racing) just worried me a little as there is almost nothing online about them, and wanted to make sure this is my last cockpit for a long time. Once I did the math, the TR160 would be only slightly higher. The reviews were good, and customer satisfaction on trustpilot.com was also very high. The P1-X was a little to costly for me, but that is a problem for much of the sim racing hardware in the U.S. Hardware can usually be ordered from Europe and be shipped to the U.S. cheaper than you can by from any destributor here (assuming you can find one that has what you need)

Last edited:
I wanted to give some initial impressions about the TR160.

Pros:
  1. Packaging. Each piece was wrapped in foam and sealed in plastic.
  2. Not a single notable scratch on the aluminum.
  3. Instructions are fantastic. Hard to find this in any product these days.
  4. Some mentioned missing hardware. I had extra. Lots for extra.
  5. Pre purchase support. Email twice with questions and they responded within an hour both times.
  6. Post purchase support. Had a slider issues for the chair. Replacement sent without hassle.
  7. This rig is a beast. I expected a strong rig, but wow.
  8. Baseplate (Aluminum profile with heel plate) has no flex that I can tell and great adjustments.
  9. Direct drive wheel in the universal mount, Also no noticeable flex. But me wheel maxed out at 13 nm.
  10. Came with the spring ball T-nuts. I think this was changed from earlier versions.
  11. Appearance.
  12. Tooless adjustment on the pedals.
Neutral:
  1. Quality of the powder coating. Doesn’t instantly scratch, but I always feel I need to be careful.
Poor:
  1. The end caps and covers are a joke, and is an embarrassment for a rig of this quality.
Honestly not much I can complain about. Vert happy with my choice. Thanks again to everyone who gave me insite.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea