4th rookie race in iRacing and got a win, worth shouting about?

apex11

@Simberia
Does i bode well? I mean there were 97 registered and i raced against only 12 people in Division 1 it said. So does winning that mean anything? Obviously in my head winning is good but am i just just giving myself false hope?
I'm getting about 1.41 around Laguna Seca in the MX 5 global.
Really really enjoying this though.

well done!
what it means is: you are not among the ones spoiled by crashfests on open servers run for other racing games but know how to produce quick laps and keep it clean. Sounds like a sound basis for years of enjoyment in iRacing. Get out of Rookie quick, start collecting safety rating to get access to more cars or collect iRating to get access to demanding grids, but most of all: enjoy the competition and be a gentleman (oh yes, and post on the iRacing forums to pick up acquaintances and get advice).

It definitely means something, that's what is a little special about iR, finishing a race alone is a victory but to win is even more sweet. Last night I won an IMSA race in the DP, field of 25 cars but only 5 DP's. I qualified 5th and eight tenths down from pole, so my chances were not good. I stayed consistent, passed traffic cleanly and seized the winning pass when I had the chance, held on to win by under 2 tenths. This was my first race in about five months and first win since October of last year, so enjoy the victories when they come, never know when you will succeed again, it gets harder the higher you go.

Yes my main idea is to be safe and courteous and not go for any gaps that could result in a crash. Just play it safe to get out of rookies pretty much as soon as possible. It really is true about iRacing though the way they manage to feeling of being in a proper 'career' is awesome, i'd go out on a limb that i have sims that i feel the FFB is better and the graphics are better, but the feeling iRacing gives you even in rookies is something that will be tough to beat already.

well, you can now see your iRating and after the race get your rating adjusted, just as your safety rating. Staring too hard at these figures will, however, not increase the fun/enjoyment you have on track :) Also, since we have eight weeks of official races still before us, you can start and finish a season in one of the series using free tracks and cars (or rent some more content and participate e.g. in the Skip Barber) if you get your first results in between now and next Tuesday. It's ten weeks before the new season starts after the summer.

Sounds like you are having a good time and doing well in iRacing. Not sure what cars you are interested in, but I have some suggestions.

As mentioned before, the Skip Barber is a very smart purchase. It is fairly slow, but really teaches you about momentum and being smooth. It is also one of the very few series which has races every hour and they always go official.

The Cadillac is an acquired taste, but it's free so give it a try. I really like it. Most of the races go official especially during European and US evenings. And this week it is on a free track, so you don't even have to purchase anything to race. It races with the KIA in the iRacing Global Challenge, but there are normally very few KIAs and sometimes none at all.

Once you progress to C license, there are a lot of choices. The 2 most popular series are Formula Renault for open wheel and Porsche iRacing Cup for GT style racing. The Pro Mazda is another open wheel option, but not quite as popular as FR. Most of the other C series are niche and only have a few official races per week. Check the results to see when they normally have official races. You can also check the iRacing forums where there is a separate section for each car.

Once you get to B road license, there are only 3 options. Blancpain Sprint Series which is very popular, but also has a reputation for very aggressive drivers. The IMSA series has also become popular recently with the addition of the 2 new GTE cars. The Classic Lotus Grand Prix is a very niche car. It has large grids and long races with great racing, but normally only goes official on weekends.

Remember that you can race any series below your license, I have an A license and have never raced and A license road race. My 2 main series are the Skip Barber and iRacing Global Challenge with the Cadillac.

I have an A license and have never raced and A license road race.
well, i did, but was so far out of my league ... it was especially painful to watch other chaps equally out of their league but blissfully unawares. Besides, the McLaren takes so much getting used to (DRS, Hybrid drive etc. etc.) for me as a casual player it simply wasn't worth the bother. i downloaded the booklet, mapped the controls and had forgotten all about it the next time i ahd time available, lol. but: very fun to play on your own at spa or monza for five laps or so, totally not using all the extra stuff like drs.

Well just found that iRacing give you a certificate for the first win! Nice...hey i'm 41 and i won't be printing it off and framing it...but man its a nice touch.
As a side note delved into the dirt oval racing yesterday and it was up there with one of my finest gaming experiences, came 4th in first ever rookie race against 12 people. Was runing 3rd untill last lap.

Have a stab at the oval stuff too! It's a different discipline and can sometimes be full of shouty Americans.

I'm glad to see things progressing nicely. The porsche is a difficult car to drive, no abs or tc but it's a joy.

I love driving the gt3 cars, I'm just not quick enough in them but they are quite forgiving and it's good seeing a varied grid of different cars each with individual characters etc.

I've bought the f1 car, but never driven it in anger, it's technology and features are wayy to advanced for me, it's nice to run a few laps in, but to compete I'd imagine it to be a nightmare.

The Ford and Ferrari are great fun to drive I would thoroughly recommend them to anyone.

I've bought the f1 car, but never driven it in anger, it's technology and features are wayy to advanced for me, it's nice to run a few laps in, but to compete I'd imagine it to be a nightmare.
I was lucky enough way back to find a small fun league that ran the F1 car, fixed setup and simple ERS settings for easy usage. Was a blast to actually race people on basically equal terms, suited me quite well too. On my youtube page, I have some of the races on there, very entertaining.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.