1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Win a £4,500 Vesaro Racing Rig! Click here for more information.

3ds file makes the Xpacker crash

Discussion in 'Bob's Track Builder' started by -Jesse-, Sep 28, 2009.

1. What should I do, because every time I try to import a 3ds-file, the xpacker crashes and after that I can not open the Xpack which I was using?

I opened the 3ds in 3dSimEd, turned it into 4 smaller 3ds-files but still it keeps crashing.

Error details attached (error.txt)

Attached Files:

2. exploded it, will make it into one object.

used primitive/add object.not import

3. Sorry... what?!

Here's also my system info if it's any help.

Cheers, -Jesse-

Attached Files:

4. just took a look at the text you put in, you seem to be missing the default icon, check your support/xpacker folder in btb directory. too see if there a default.icon and dummy texture in there

sorry skip the other reply, i misreaded that.
    ed

5. Thanks Ed. Yep, they are there:
    DefaultIcon.jpg and DummyTexture.dds

Tried with new version, it didn't help either :th_sad:

6. Can you post your 3ds file Jesse.
    Or send it to ennisfargis (at) gmail.com
    & I will have a look at it.

7. This Xpacker is driving me nuts! :pissed-off:

The attached file is not the same I tried earlier, but it just keeps crashing over and over again no matter what I do... I've tried everything I can think of, I used it without texture, I exported and imported it between different programs, I tried different formats, I cut it smaller etc. etc. After 6 hours fighting with it, I decided to give up.

Something is wrong with (my) BTB, since the model works perfectly in 3DSmax, 3DSimEd and in Sketchup where it was originally created, but not in Xpacker... :beat-up:

Attached Files:

8. Got it working with Biggles1212's tutorial :bang: Thanks! :hail:

9. Glad to see you got it working Jesse.
    I had a look at your 3ds file & I believe it was crashing xpacker purely because of the complexity.
    Your object has 23379 vertices.
    I converted it to editable poly & used the weld tool with a very low threshold which basically merges verts that are close together (within the threshold).
    I easily got it down to 3981 with pretty much no loss in quality. (see pic)
    Which is still very high but a saving of 19398 vertices.
    Please try to be efficient with your 3d files.
    Not only will it break xpacker :) but also slow down your game dramatically.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

• max.jpg
      max.jpg
      File size:
      109.4 KB
      Views:
  10. Thanks Eric!

I'm not using it in the track, it's just a "help object" to edit the terrain :)

It can't be the size of it, because even if I deleted almost all the faces it still woudn't open. As the tutorial says, importing and exporting it through the SketchUp V6 got it working.