27 x 3 to/vs. 32 x 3.... What was your experience...?!?

Hi,​

I'm planning a upgrade from 29" 2560x1080 75hz Ultrawide to a Triple monitor setup.​

I'd like to get it right the 1st time around.

What will be the most accurate 1:1 feeling of being inside a car, screen size wise 27 x 3 or 32 x 3 or is that even higher at 35 x 3....?!?

My plan is get ?? X 3 1440P screens and wait for the GPU technology to catch up probably 4070/4080 should be able to run 75-100 fps with 20+ cars comfortably in ACC.

If anyone moved from 27x3 to 32x3 or bigger, or decided 32 over 27 please share your experiences and findings/observations.

If space was available would you go 27x3 or 32x3...?

Thanks.

It all depends on how close you place them. 27" 12" from your face is larger then 32" 24". If your willing to move them close to your wheel, there is no real advantage to 32". The larger screen only helps if you must keep them farther from your face.

I think there more things to consider:

I myself run triple 27" screens (1080p) about 28" from my eyes.
If I could do it again I´d have gone with 1440p for better clarity in the distance and less pixel crawling and jitter on the fences and armco.
So you´re on the right path there.

Triple 27" show enough "out of the window" real estate, but the cars dashboard is cut off about in the middle.

If you want more interior of the car you need the bigger screens, depending on the size of your wheelbase and its position in your rig that´s where the trouble starts.

If I wanted 32" with the center of the screen on eye level the wheelbase would be in the way. (SC2, not the biggest one out there)
There are ways around that, but its additional hassle.

MFG Carsten

i'd like to rephrase my query...

What size triple screen setup will be exact equivalent of actual size felt when sitting in and looking out of a car in real life atleast from the bottom Dash till the top of the roof, say maybe in a regular sportscar/ hot hatchback/gt3 car...?

Thanks

I moved from 3x24 1080p to 3x32 2k about a year ago (in fact to a 3x32 in the lower row and 2x32 in the upper row, mostly for work purposes) and no matter the size of the monitors VR allways win, with my pimax 5k+ i have huge fov but a bit of screendoor, my recently buyed quest 2, have so much smaller for but the image quality is impressive for a tiny-cheap-wireless HMD.

About the GPU raw power you need, there isnt a big diference from triples to VR.

About your last question... is not just the size of the screen setup, is the distance from the screens to your eyes, , to have the rigth size you need the screens really close and lowered to fit everything in the rigth place around the driving wheel and i dont know how old are you but since some years ago presbyopia comes into my life ( age is a bitch) and i cant put the screens closer like before or "human biological antialiasing" comes into the game and i save some GPU resources but its kinda painful after a while. When using VR i dont have any sigth issues related to presbyopia.

I dont know if you already tried VR before, or if you tried it with a WMR headset (poorly polished runtimes, bad performance, really hungry in GPU resources and bad tracking even if some have very good image quality), but if i was you i give a try to a quest 2 before build your new triple setup. If you like it but you miss some FOV, you can move to another headset with wider fov and still cheaper than a 3x32 setup.

I know ACC quality in VR kinda sucks, but with last patches even my gtx 1080 can move it with at least some decent image quality, far away from AC AMS2 but at least is playable, i suposse with better GPUs you can achieve better quality.

Regards.

Last edited:
It all depends how far away the screens are. 32" is huge and needs to be father away from you. If you use 27" and drop them between the wheel and base, it's perfect. Just use a spacer between the wheel and base to achieve your viewing distance and get some clearance for you hands.

Hi,​

I'm planning a upgrade from 29" 2560x1080 75hz Ultrawide to a Triple monitor setup.​

I'd like to get it right the 1st time around.

What will be the most accurate 1:1 feeling of being inside a car, screen size wise 27 x 3 or 32 x 3 or is that even higher at 35 x 3....?!?

My plan is get ?? X 3 1440P screens and wait for the GPU technology to catch up probably 4070/4080 should be able to run 75-100 fps with 20+ cars comfortably in ACC.

If anyone moved from 27x3 to 32x3 or bigger, or decided 32 over 27 please share your experiences and findings/observations.

If space was available would you go 27x3 or 32x3...?

Thanks.
Have you tried WMR?
I know your post states you are looking specifically at monitors but HP has the Reverb G2 version 2 at $459 right now.
That is way less than three monitors.
If you previously tried and liked it but thought it was expensive, it might be worth considering.

Last edited:
I think there more things to consider:

I myself run triple 27" screens (1080p) about 28" from my eyes.
If I could do it again I´d have gone with 1440p for better clarity in the distance and less pixel crawling and jitter on the fences and armco.
So you´re on the right path there.

Triple 27" show enough "out of the window" real estate, but the cars dashboard is cut off about in the middle.

If you want more interior of the car you need the bigger screens, depending on the size of your wheelbase and its position in your rig that´s where the trouble starts.

If I wanted 32" with the center of the screen on eye level the wheelbase would be in the way. (SC2, not the biggest one out there)
There are ways around that, but its additional hassle.

MFG Carsten
I dont really think that he would have seen a lot more of the interior with 32s.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.