2012 Mercedes W03

Hmm interesting. According to other teams engineers they are actually blowing the beam wing and not transporting the air to the front wing.

I´m sure we will get some proper facts around this system.
So instead of getting it on earlier in corners they possibly have to turn it on slightly later but will gain in better acceleration due to even more drag reduction at the rear.

Scarbs is not believing that though and thinks it´s still the front wing. Pictures of Schumi´s car has been taken and it looks like slots under the front wing.

Here´s the vent in the rear wing,
Mercedes-Heckfluegel-2012-Melbourne-GP-Australien-fotoshowImage-89ff489d-579917.jpg

me thinks Scarbs is just about ready to eat some humble pie,but a good effort nevertheless..heh-heh
It´s actually the most plausible one if you read what he says. There have been rules put in place in order to not be able to blow the rear wing.

They could be stalling exhausts or sidepods or some other brilliant idea.
Bottom line is i think it will be very hard for teams to create a similar system without re-designing the whole car.

Bottom line is i think it will be very hard for teams to create a similar system without re-designing the whole car.

i find it interesting that it is after the first race AND it is still unclear what is going on with that DRS vent and how it works.
Here is a video of Schumacher(
) chasing photographers around who were trying to take pictures of the underbody of the car while waiting for the car to be lifted when he had the gearbox problem

bottom line is ,i hope you are right ..the initial theories were that there is a whole intricate system of tubings in the bodywork to deliver air wherever they need it,but im beginning to wonder if the speed with which the air travels through is fast enough to stall anything let alone the front wing,but again: i hope it is the case,cuzz then it'll be more difficult for teams to copy it

Newey upset he didn't think of it first.

It's not like the blown diffuser that worked all the time, this Mercedes wing has a huge benefit in qualy but no gain in race pace.

Edit: Horner: "I think he wanted to have a think about it and of we'll of course respect his position when he makes that clear to us in China." Hasn't Charlie made it clear in Malaysia that it's legal?

Spot-on Michael.

Apparently they want an 'official declaration' from the FIA. What Charlie is doing is saving them a lot of money, as a court case involving lawyers would just cause the FIA to again ask Whiting his opinion on the laws, and verify what he has said so far.

Newey is mad thats all. of course Renault are gonna team up since they power the RBs. The Newey vs. Brawn Episode....ermmm 2 or 3....

I think Newey has a bit of something against Brawn..especially when his Ferrari smoked Mclaren.

Mercedes will be lucky to podium this season in my opinion. Their "Super DRS" is not a game changer.

I think Haug should regrow his mustache as a lucky charm for better fortune :D

Maybe the car really is much slower but the secret ducting is actually allowing them to fight for front or second row in qual.

Just imagine what it would do on a Mclaren or Red Bull.
Very true. Most likely it isn't Mercedes that Red Bull has in mind, but rather the fact that McLaren, having accepted the system as legal, has probably already developed it much further than RB. And as long as McLaren (hypothetically) has the system and RB doesn't, they won't get a single pole.

However, I think it's too early to judge whether the Mercedes is really that slow. In Australia, Schumacher was able to hold off Vettel rather comfortably (at least that's what he said). And Malaysia is, just like Melbourne, somewhat of an exception because of the extreme weather conditions. Last year, the Mercs were also struggling there and then, one race later, Rosberg actually led in Shanghai for quite some time.

Pirreli seem to have made a tyre that is still unpredictable to alot of teams...something they said they will do last year,and indeed its been pretty entertaining first 2races with alot of drivers falling out of the operating window and struggling to keep the tyres warm and therefore destroying them much quicker,or just struggling for pace. Mercedez is definetely one of those teams,so i will still hold jugment before we get some good dry conditions and a well rubbered in track to determine if its indeed something fundamental..such as a slow car.Besides, Mercedes have yet to try any exaust blowing on the tyres ,so its still early days imo

They do seem useless without the W/F/Q/N/P/Whatever-duct.

I really hope we get a quali soon where Merc's DRS doesn't work, so we can see where they really are. cough*jinx* :rolleyes:

Very true. Most likely it isn't Mercedes that Red Bull has in mind, but rather the fact that McLaren, having accepted the system as legal, has probably already developed it much further than RB. And as long as McLaren (hypothetically) has the system and RB doesn't, they won't get a single pole.

However, I think it's too early to judge whether the Mercedes is really that slow. In Australia, Schumacher was able to hold off Vettel rather comfortably (at least that's what he said). And Malaysia is, just like Melbourne, somewhat of an exception because of the extreme weather conditions. Last year, the Mercs were also struggling there and then, one race later, Rosberg actually led in Shanghai for quite some time.
Yea it seems RBR are the only "grumpy" kid where as Ferrari and Mclaren just knows that this sort of innovations comes along every once in a while and you can choose to react to it or not.

Mclaren might even have some trick system on their car. The downforce of the car seems to be really good but the top speed is there as well.
RBR is probably carrying the most DF but lacks in top speed. So i wonder if Mclaren already possibly have their own take on a passive system.
Or, it´s just a very good car they have aero wise.

I think McLaren has found a happy medium between downforce and top speed. Of course last year RBR had insane amounts of downforce that they were 10 Kph slower in the speed traps. Now without the blown diffuser, it looks like McLaren has found the best compromise rather than going for extreme downforce.

As for Mercedes race pace, MSC hasn't had an uneventful race. I don't think he could have held off Vettel forever in Australia, but I think a top 5 was possible. I see Mercedes going backward in most of the races, because of how DRS is limited in the race. Rosberg seems to be struggling to keep up.

Australia speed trap.

Code:
1    Sergio Perez        316.7
2    Lewis Hamilton      314.0
3    Michael Schumacher  313.4
4    Nico Rosberg        313.2
5    Kamui Kobayashi      312.5
6    Jenson Button        310.7
7    Romain Grosjean      310.2
8    Kimi Räikkönen      310.2
9    Jean-Eric Vergne    309.2
10    Daniel Ricciardo    308.6