2012 Formula One German Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if they just put him back at 3rd it wouldn't be much of a punishment after all.

Anyway, it was a nice race, and as I said, Button actually had a shot at the win, but Fernando drove without mistakes and managed to keep Vettel and Button behind. Unlucky Massa and Hamilton, losing the race right at the beginning. Hamilton was great here through, fighting to unlap himself.

Great race for Kobayashi, and Pérez did again a great job getting back to the points after a bad quali. Grosjean seemed to have a bad race, and it's a shame that Mercedes didn't have the pace here.

Not a lot more to say, it was a nice race, and it shows how close the 3 top teams are right now.

F1Kate twitterde op zondag 22-07-2012 om 18:15:42
Nxwk8McS_normal
Been told that post-race scrutineering could be a bit more interesting than usual this afternoon/evening. RBR throttle drama not done yet.

It is pretty simple, standardized ECU is there to prevent irregular use of torque mappings. AFAIK they offer few options for different maps and all of them are consistent. So if RBR has a dip in the map, it's highly illegal. It's messing with FIA equipment... Is this the first hacking scandal in F1? Or just hot air (pun intended..)... I would love to have a flat torque map in the 13-15k range...

As i understand the accusation, the "dip" in the midrange is less torque in order to get more exhaust gases simultaneously helping aerodynamics and cornering via reduced torque: you can keep more revs, blow a lot of fumes, and have the torque jump up when the grip is back. Others need to keep revs down and accelerate thru those lost revs.

For a co-incidence been fiddling with simulated F1 engines and torque maps so i have some advantage knowing firsthand, albeit simulated, what torque map tweaking can achieve... It was one problem when scaling torquemaps to work with the ingame cars setup engine mapping, to get rid of plateaus in the mid-range. Sadly, can't simulate the blown diffuser... This whole thing must link to the tunnel in the RBR chassis aero design, around/under the sidepods, blowing (not it seems, hot) air into the starter hole...

Wrong:
15XUw.png

Vettel chooses to go off track. He chooses to give less steering input so acceleration becomes better. Also his turn-in was too fast.

lol "wrong" yes because you say it, I'm wrong :roflmao:

You can see Button also moving to the left at the start of the corner ;) even if it deserves a penalty I think it was also smart to not to try to stay closer to Button or it could have ended like Hamilton's race in Valencia. Anyway, the people who decide the penalties are very inconsistent, I think also Di Resta pushed Vergne completely off the track in Spain and they did nothing...

As you can see Button left some space but Vettel just decides to drive on the painted part next to the track. When Button sees Vettel is driving there he just steers closer to the edge to give himself more advantage for the next turn..

I don t want to defend Vettel, but his anticipation of Button won t leave him enough room on the track was right, and he was avoiding contact and dangerous curbs at the same time, which resulted in a wild offtrack overtake. I don t think it was worst than Hamiltons Bahrain overtake on Rosberg. Tough situation, any judgment would create debate.

As you can see Button left some space but Vettel just decides to drive on the painted part next to the track. When Button sees Vettel is driving there he just steers closer to the edge to give himself more advantage for the next turn..

Although I fully agree with the penalty, you are wrong about Button. 'Next turn' in Hockenheim is many many meters away, you have plenty of time to align, no need to edge there.

The 20 second penalty was right. If Button was penalized for this last year then so should Vettel. Funny how we criticize the stewards for their inconsistency, and now that they attempt to do so with this call is also being criticized.

The Penalty looks Harsh but it was needed to make Vettel Much more Cautious about his Actions
But it looks like Only Top 4 can be in the Chance of fighting for WDC (EVEN IF ALONSO FUMBLES WHICH IS UNLIKELY) as He was ahead of Webber 34, Vettel 44, Kimi 56 Lewis 62 So i don't think any one from P5 in Drivers standings had any chance of Fighting for WDC

Vettel is behind Button when he decides to go off track and not by Button's side. Pretty dumb by Vettel, he was clearly much faster, could have waited and passed Button on another lap.
This!

Stupid decision by Vettel. Yes he needs second to stay with Alonso in WDC, but he also knew he was off track and that it's against the rules. He could have ducked in behind Button and had another go, and if not, P3 at worst.

I agree with penalty and that it's not necessarily meant to restore a correct result, but be punitive. The way Button was going there's little doubt he would have lost the position. I wouldn't say Button deserved 2nd, but neither did Vettel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 10.6%