2012 Formula One Australian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
So nice to see Williams and Sauber that far up front. And the duel of Kimi vs. Kamui was a match made in heaven :p Hopefully there'll be more of that. Interesting to see was the performance difference between Schumacher and Rosberg. Schumacher said he wasn't even too troubled by Vettel when he turned up behind him whereas Rosberg was just nowhere with huge tyre wear...
Also can't help but gloat at everyone who wrote off Vettel because he can supposedly only win in the best car. He got the better of golden boy Hamilton... :p

The lead was no where near last years vettel lead. This is very promising for tight racing full of battles. The ferrari is not looking too good, only reason they finished there today is because of Alonso!

Button did a "Vettel" today but everyone thinks he was great (he was) but if Vettel won today in the same way, everyone would be criticising him.

Difference is that he does not have a superior car in race trim. Running at the front is always 10 times easier then sitting behind a car for lap after lap.
When your at the front you can concentrate on the line and only that. When behind a car you have to consider many other things.
And last but not least, Vettel having the most disgusting luck AGAIN!! Safety car, he pits comes out ahead of Hamilton, it´s a fricking joke...

Petrov having power steering and decides to park it on the main straight, it´s not Russia ffs.

Difference is that he does not have a superior car in race trim. Running at the front is always 10 times easier then sitting behind a car for lap after lap.

When your at the front you can concentrate on the line and only that. When behind a car you have to consider many other things.

And last but not least, Vettel having the most disgusting luck AGAIN!! Safety car, he pits comes out ahead of Hamilton, it´s a fricking joke...
I think you mean good luck, Vettel was behind Hamilton before that sc.

I'm passing judgement on Maldonado for now, as I believe he had a decent race and would have been in the top 10 anyway, but if he has another show like today, he goes on my Massa list of incompetent drivers.

Very interesting race. Without a doubt McLaren is a serious threat to take the drivers and team titles away from Red Bull this season. However Red Bull had a much better day than I thought they would. Oh and Alonso also had a good drive in his Italian made Donkey Kart. Too bad for Maldonado at the end. Should be a fun year.

If Massa continues to put out these kind of performances, do you think Ferrari could possibly think about a mid season replacement? I mean, they dont want someone who can challenge Alonso, but surely theres someone without a drive who could be doing a better job.....

I've just suggested this in our league thread. I don't think Massa will finish the season.

If I was Ferrari though, I'd keep Massa till the end of the season, and see how Perez continues after a stunning start.

Perez at Ferrari in 2013 is not impossible if he can prove himself.

Lewis Hamilton's attitude at the post-race press conference was typical again. Where Jenson and Seb praised the work of their teams and congratulated each other after giving a detailed impression how their race went, Lewis was sitting there like a little baby who's toy was taking away from him. Is it really that hard to give a normal explanation of things after a disappointing race?

Our Dutch commentator didn't have an answer for the strange steering-wheel issue of Rosberg. Anybody know what exactly happened with him during the last lap of the race?

Yep, Hamilton's attitude was pretty poor, it looked like there wasn't much love lost between him and Button, considering they are supposed to be teammates.
Overall, it was a very good and interesting GP though, hopefully this year might be much closer between a few teams.

Lewis Hamilton's attitude at the post-race press conference was typical again. Where Jenson and Seb praised the work of their teams and congratulated each other after giving a detailed impression how their race went, Lewis was sitting there like a little baby who's toy was taking away from him. Is it really that hard to give a normal explanation of things after a disappointing race?
I think at this point Lewis needs McLaren more than they need him. If he can't adjust his attitude now and quick it will be another downward spiral and excuses like last year.

On the front I think there was nothing unusual, just RBR and McLaren switched roles. In the first few laps after the start (and the restart), McLarens (RBR-s) were much faster, then on the long run RBR (McLaren) closed the gap. Vettel I don't think was a single bit luckier with the safety car than Button and Hamilton. They were all lucky as they could just do their pitstops before the field got tighter. BTW I think this race showed how wrong the Vettel haters are. He did an excellent job coming up from 6th to 2nd. And Hamilton couldn't win from pole btw:p Clearly it's not about that, drivers have to be 100% all the time to win. Button did it. On one lap he was 1 tenth slower than Hamilton, but in the race he gave him no chance at all. Good job!
What I was unhappy about: Grosjean's early retirement, but I can't blame Maldonado for it, if he had the inside line there, Grosjean should have let him pass. But it'll be interesting to see what this guy will be able to do in the Lotus. Raikkönen's pace, well, wasn't bad, but wasn't as great either. He was somewhere around the Saubers' pace. (which was quite impressive for the Saubers)
I was happy to see Williams having a car that is good in the race as well, we've seen Maldonado and Barrichello a few times in Q3 last year too, but this time they could stay there. Too bad for the last lap accident, he did want that P5 very much, and I hoped to see him getting it. Again we can't blame Maldonado for not sitting there and accepting 6th. He clearly had the speed over Alonso and since this is racing, he tried everything.
Mercedes was quite disappointing imo, it seems their car isn't working as well with heavy fuel load. They were slow from the start, even if Schumi could keep P3 until his gearbox problem kicked in.

Not a bad race all in all, I hope that the season won't go on like 2009/2011 though. Though I like Button, I would like to see Vettel, Hamilton, Webber taking their place in the fight. And hopefully some others too. (at least for some race wins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 12.5%