2008 World Touring Car Championship

• Stirb Iuliu

One reason why Diesel powered engines will be faster at Puebla:
- low atmosferic pressure (and lower oxygen level). For standard family cars it's irrelevant, for race cars, 0,001 seconds is the difference between pole and the rest, it's more like having extra weight penalties.

Diesel engines in the Seats, are turbocharged, otherwise they would be sitting ducks in the middle of the track. With all my respect, diesel engines without turbo are hopeless.

This means the air is forced with high pressure in the cylinders, so at the Puebla circuit (2000 m. altitude), they will have an advantage over the aspirated, gasoline engines (the more air is forced in, the more powerful the explosion - the gasoline engines will be limited to current atmosferic pressure).

@David Garcia

Again, with all my respect, I can't see the diesel Seats dominating.

There's three possible solutions (in my view):
- all the competitors will switch to Diesel powered engines;
- removing the turbo from Diesel, the gasoline engines are aspirated so there will be some "balance" (no chance, as a Diesel engine is desperately slow, without turbocharger is as fast as a tractor in the field);
- adding turbo for the Otto engines (again not the slightest chance... all the diesel fan will commit suicide). With turbo added, those gas. engines will reach almost or over 400 hp. There will be no such thing as balance.

There's three possible solutions (in my view):
- all the competitors will switch to Diesel powered engines;
Wolksvagen group have the experience with that engines in racing world. The rest will be able do devolope that engines too, of course, but will take his time to be competitive. In my oppinion.
- removing the turbo from Diesel, the gasoline engines are aspirated so there will be some "balance" (no chance, as a Diesel engine is desperately slow, without turbocharger is as fast as a tractor in the field);
If the rules at the beggining of the championship allowed the turbo in diesel engines, ¿why should they remove it now? The other teams had also the option of switch to diesel engines, and they decide to saty with gasoline.
- adding turbo for the Otto engines (again not the slightest chance... all the diesel fan will commit suicide). With turbo added, those gas. engines will reach almost or over 400 hp. There will be no such thing as balance.
The competition started with a format, and they should keep it as it is. What is then the next option to balance it? remove Puebla from the schedule?

Well I agree with you, they need to balance that. But, why do you think this way? you said before that don´t see the Seat dominating?

Then it is already balanced.

they should just ban diesels from motorsport... they basically ruin it...

they sound crap, no flames out the exhaust :( and they are usually favoured by the rules so they are quicker. a good example is the Audi R10... 6 litre engine with turbo's.... do that for the petrol cars and they would have like 900HP

• Stirb Iuliu

What is then the next option to balance it? remove Puebla from the schedule?

That's your suggestion, not mine.

In my previous post, I've just wanted to remember for TDI fans in World Touring Car Championship, their advantage has the shape of a turbocharger.
I don't really know, and I pretty much don't care how a Diesel works. It's not my fault without a turbine it is useless.
In my view, either all the competitors are allowed turbochargers, either none are allowed.

There's a big difference between turbocharged and aspirated engines, nevermind it is Diesel or gasoline powered.

Race 1: 1. Jordi Gene 2. Tom-Tom Coronel 3. Nicola Larini
Race 2: 1. Yvan Muller 2. Augusto Schwerfuß 3. Jordi Gene

In overall: The Seats (including Tom's Petrol Powered Seat - qualified on P3) will be dominating these races. Behind them i expect 1 or 2 chevy's performing reasonably and the BMW's will be struggling (especially in race 1, maybe they can get some better results in race 2)

I find the P3 qualy of Tom Coronel awesome. On this track with short corners you need a lot of accelaration power. That he managed to do that with a non-diesel car says enough: give that man a factory car, NOW!!! And i am sure he will start winning races this season

• Wido Rossen

Great result from Tommie-San.
Hope he can keep this up during the race`s.
Rub Huff has been set back 5 place`s so that make`s Menu the first chevi behind Tom.
I`m hoping for a good result and great racing......bring it on.

That is a wonderful result for Tommie !! And yes, he deserves a factory car, more than ever now... If he has the good weaopons he can start winning races :)

Dissappointing result for the beemers btw... Not even near the top 3

Disappointing, but logical. Track is on a height of 2000m, so more loss of BHP then the TDI's and all RWD cars are struggling with the low amount of grip here.

I think we have to wait till Valencia, to really get a better view of the real strength of the BMW compared to the TDI's and Chevies.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 467 70.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 283 42.6%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 306 46.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 135 20.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 180 27.1%
Back