Car Texture edition tutorial

Hi,here you can read a tutorial on how to edit textures in F1 2011 by Codemasters.
All you need is Ryder`s PSSG Editor,Photoshop with NVIDIA DDS plug-in,idea and free time :)

Let`s start.

For this tutorial,I`ll change McLaren`s main livery.First,we will edit low textures,and after that high textures,too.Make a backup of every file you are editing.

First,open PSSG Editor and open mc1_gen_low_main.pssg (location: F1 2011\cars\mc1\livery_main\textures_low).
Click Export all textures.Then open mc1_gen_high_main.pssg and do the same,export all textures.
Then go to F1 2011\cars\mc1\livery_main and first open textures_low folder and move mc1_gen_low_main_pssg_textures folder to the desktop.
Then do the same with textures_high folder,move mc1_gen_high_main_pssg_textures folder to the desktop.

Now,open Photoshop and first open the mc1_main.tga from mc1_gen_low_main_pssg_textures folder.After editing the file,click Save As and save it with the same name (thats mc1_main.tga) as .dds file on the DESKTOP!NVIDIA DDS settings should pop up,and you need to select DXT5 ARGB 8bbp | interpolated alpha ,and select Generate MIP maps.Save it.
Now,minimize Photoshop,and maximize PSSG Editor.If you closed it,open again mc1_gen_low_main.pssg,click on mc1_main.tga and click Import.Select mc1_main.tga from the desktop.Then click File>Save and save it as mc1_gen_low_main.pssg TO THE DESKTOP.Now,cut/copy that new mc1_gen_low_main.pssg in the F1 2011\cars\mc1\livery_main\textures_low and overwrite.When you`re done with this,delete mc1_main.tga from the desktop,or move it somewhere because you`ll have another file with same name!
Now,you edited the low settings textures.Game will crash if you edit only low textures,so we NEED to edit and high textures too,with the same settings,that means,what you did on low textures,you must do the same on the high textures.I just changed the contrast for this tutorial.

Now,lets edit high textures.
Open photoshop and edit mc1_main.tga from mc1_gen_high_main_pssg_textures folder ,after editing save it with same settings like for low textures,and that is: DXT5 ARGB 8bbp | interpolated alpha ,and select Generate MIP maps. Save it to the DESKTOP.

Open PSSG Editor and open mc1_gen_high_main.pssg,click on mc1_main.tga and click Import.Import the new,edited texture from the desktop (its mc1_main.tga),and click File>Save.Save it with this name mc1_gen_high_main.pssg on the desktop.Then,close PSSG Editor,cut/copy new mc1_gen_high_main.pssg from the desktop to the F1 2011\cars\mc1\livery_main\textures_high and overwrite.

Another way!:First edit high textures and then just resize them to 2048x2048 and you got a low texture file.Thanks to Trickz and ML2166 for that.

Now,its ready for play!
Hope I helped you guys! Thanks to ML2166.

I have problems when using latest Ryders PSSG Editor,so I suggest you to use older version.If your game crash at loading screen,you know whats the problem,use another version of PSSG Editor.If I made a mistake somewhere,please type a comment or PM.

I think that administrators should make this thread sticky,so it will be visible to all.

Bye

Good tutorial !
Just one thing , why editing low res textures first ?
I usualy edit high res texture first and for low res ones i just resize the high res texture.
Low res textures are half size of the high res one.
For exemple HD liverys :
high res 4096x4096
low res 2048x2048

Yup, just as it should be done.

High Res first then halve the size of the High Res and save it a the Low Res texture and import.

Good tutorial !
Just one thing , why editing low res textures first ?
I usualy edit high res texture first and for low res ones i just resize the high res texture.
Low res textures are half size of the high res one.
For exemple HD liverys :
high res 4096x4096
low res 2048x2048

no chance to save the hd textures as dxt1???

tried it out, but f1 2011 freezes in the loading screen.
the original codemasters textures are also in dxt1.
with dxt1 the texture would be half the size of the dxt5 one, but same quality.
dxt1 hd textures worked in f1 2010.

Edit: nevermind
worked with the latest ryder pssg editor
thanks!!!

Question about Texture Sizes

Hi all :)

I have a serious Problem. I have F1 2011 and the new Texture Editor from ryder.
I created a Helmet in 4096x4096 and saved the File in Photoshop as DDS with the Nvidia DDS Plugin.
When I import the Helmet to the Game it crashs. First I thought it is a DDS Options Problem. So I tried
DXT1-5 with MIDMAP on and off but nothing Helps. It always crash. When I turn the Texture to 512x512,
it works!

So I have tested the Hamilton Helmet in HD from the Download Section. I extracted the Texture and Replaced
it with the Editor. No Changes was made on the Texture, but the Game crashes too.

Do anybody of you have a clue what I do wrong??

Thanks in advance for Replies.

Groni

I have a problem with opening the texture of the font files. For example, the filedin_bold_pol.pssg. neither version does not want to read the texture. I can ask for help?? Sorry for my English:)

You cannot open the font file.

I have a problem with opening the texture of the font files. For example, the filedin_bold_pol.pssg. neither version does not want to read the texture. I can ask for help?? Sorry for my English:)

hi, i'm trying to create a helmet. i'm using gimp with the dds plugin. ( i dont have photoshop )
i can save ( and open ) an image in gimp as a dds file, but afterwards when i try to open it with ryder pssg editor to import it i cant open it.
i get messeages about a key missing in the dictionary or non negative etc.
does anyone know how to save it with the proper values in gimp or how to save it ? so it works.
i tried following the steps in the tutorial but i cant get to work.
thanks in advance.

Here are some older videos I found, not same same pssg version as the latest but it doesn't matter as it looks almost the same:

(With this one make sure to skip the part where photoshop saves the dds, check description)

Here's one for Dirt 3:

Shouldn't matter too much just know that there isn't that one texture that makes the livery sort of pop out in f1 2011.

The second video posted above is pretty much how I do things.

Apart from a few minor differences it is an excellent vid tutorial.

Perhaps Leo if you go into the non English part of the website and ask there, you may get a good response, or ask someone if they can translate the video into your native language if possible.

This might seem a little off topic but I can't install the DDS plugin for photoshop. Well I have installed it, but I don't know how to use it as Window-->Extensions is greyed out in photoshop

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back