Adaptive Clip Planes, questions.

• Thread starter Deleted member 1066209
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1066209

• Deleted member 1066209

Hi, can anyone explain the setting "Adaptive Clip Planes" to me? It's a CSP setting found under the "Graphic Adjustments" extension.

I'm using it at its default setting and am wondering if I have some additional FPS to recover by adjusting it. I'm hoping to obtain a basic understanding of what I'm doing before I mess with it.

If I'm solely playing in VR, I suppose I'd only have to adjust the "Clip Planes in VR" setting, right? I suppose the non-VR settings would not make a difference at all.

I'm not sure about the near plane but the far plane is where the geometry rendering stops.
After that you only see the blue background from the sky dome.

The near plane though... Good question! Might be the distance where everything is rendered at full detail vs LODs etc.

I sadly have no idea about the FOV settings.. But they are for flatscreen only anyway.

You can definitely gain performance when lowering the far plane. But not THAT much, since there's also something called "Culling" going on.
The culling checks what parts of the rendering you can see and what's hidden and disables any rendering for the parts you couldn't see anyway.

And since you usually won't see what's 15 km away, the Far plane isn't really needed.

And if the far plane is needed, you don't really want to cut off something that's visible in your viewport..

But some parts might not be "culled", so you might gain some fps when reducing the far plane distance to something like 2000 instead of 15000.
Just test it :)

I'm not sure about the near plane but the far plane is where the geometry rendering stops.

The near plane though... Good question! Might be the distance where everything is rendered at full detail vs LODs etc.

I sadly have no idea about the FOV settings.. But they are for flatscreen only anyway.

You can definitely gain performance when lowering the far plane. But not THAT much, since there's also something called "Culling" going on.
The culling checks what parts of the rendering you can see and what's hidden and disables any rendering for the parts you couldn't see anyway.

And since you usually won't see what's 15 km away, the Far plane isn't really needed.

And if the far plane is needed, you don't really want to cut off something that's visible in your viewport..

But some parts might not be "culled", so you might gain some fps when reducing the far plane distance to something like 2000 instead of 15000.
i set far plane to *200000,30000* it look amazing compare to default

The near plane should be where the game starts rendering in relation to the camera... so if the near plane was set to 1 for example only objects that are further than 1 meter would render

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 450 69.8%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 279 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 297 46.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 133 20.6%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 173 26.8%
Back