Yvan Muller Returns to Racing in 2018 WTCR

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
WTCR Yvan Muller Racing.jpg

Racing under the YMR banner and partnering WTCC champion Thed Björk, Yvan Muller will return to full time competition this season in the new WTCR World Cup.

Coming out of a self imposed 12 month retirement from full time racing, Muller will once again look to embark on a top flight campaign in 2018 with his Yvan Muller Racing run Hyundai i30 N TCR, partnering up with four time STCC champion and 2017 WTCC victor Thed Bjork to form potentially one of the strongest outfits confirmed so far in the new look WTCR championship.

At 48 years of age Muller has lost none of the speed that took him to no less than four World Championship's and 48 race victories in the top flight of touring car racing. However the new season should see a different Muller than in pervious years, with the highly decorated Frenchman focussed on developing his new touring car outfit more than outright personal success:

“My goal is a bit different than in the past,” said Muller. “I have done my career and my focus now is on the team and our development rather than outright results. I am pleased to have Thed involved, he trusts me and I trust him. There is no doubt that he is a great driver, I know because I spent the season with him last year.”
YMR will face stiff competition in the coming year, not least of which should be in the form of Hyundai stablemates BRC Racing, fielding arch rival Gabriele Tarquini and 2017 WTCC runner up Norbert Michelisz. Tarquini, 56 at the time of the season start in Morocco in April, has spent the last 12 months working closely with Hyundai to develop the new TCR specification i30 N TCR, and should present one of the strongest challengers for series honours at the end of the year if the form displayed by the Italian following his sporadic one-off outings in the TCR last year are anything to go by.

Other strong contenders already confirmed for WTCR in 2018 are the Boutsen Ginion Racing and Münnich Motorsport Honda backed outfits, running former champion Rob Huff (Münnich) and long standing works Honda driver and former Formula One competitor Tiago Monteiro, representing BGR. Both squads will utilise the brand new Honda Civic FK8 Type R TCR developed especially for the new TCR rule set, and should again prove a substantial contender for race wins and honours at the close of the year ahead.

With WTCC having limped along for the last few years before eventually adopting TCR regulations and rebranding to the WTCR moniker, 2018 looks likely to provide one of the most competitive seasons since the glory days of the mid 2000's..

I can't wait..

Check out the Motorsports Sub forum for more news and discussion around the world of wonderful world of motor racing here at RaceDepartment.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to WTCR in 2018? Who would you like to see fight it out at the top of the table? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
nice hyundai in this series. the company has really been stepping up its brand image and i've become a fan to the point where im actually gonna buy one. fingers crossed they get some good results.

I will never forget how someone reacted two years ago at YT chat when we watched TCR race. He said: Meh, only eastern Europeans are watching their drivers here.

I can not be happy more that WTCC "FWD DTM lite cars" are banned and touring championship has finally returned back to the roots under TCR regulations.

nice hyundai in this series. the company has really been stepping up its brand image and i've become a fan to the point where im actually gonna buy one. fingers crossed they get some good results.
Same here. While joking about them some years ago (well not exactly, i talked my mum into a Kia, which is basically a Hyundai as well, but i would've never bought one myself), i am thinking the same now. New car purchase is on the brinks, and i am seriously considering the I30 N. Definitely routing for them in the WTCR :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.4%