PC2 Youtube footage

Im just an old grumpy gamer and probably i want Pcars to be something else than that it is right now. Lately i did a race tour around all race games: rF2, AC, AMS, R3E and Pcars. I raced all games except Pcars as it was hell to configure my new TS-PC and set all FFB variables so i could feel some response. For car A FFB is great and for car B FFB is dead. It frustrates. It feels unfinished and i hate unfinished things (that's totally me). I shall try to be less aggressive in upcoming posts.

To be honest I'm old and grumpy too (46 in a few days time), and I sort of understand. I have issues with other games and sims. I just think that seeing the effort SMS put in via being a WMD member I feel some criticism is harsh. Also reading up on other games and seen the very natural process of dropped ideas and content. It's not rare at all....Half life 2 dropped a hell of a lot of stuff and changed dramatically over the dev process.

It's a shame you can't get the ffb sorted, I suppose I'm lucky that I have a damn good setup within the game that works for me and I feel just as much critcal info that i get from other sims. The game could have done with a bit more polish, it's a victim of the dev process SMS have gone for (for right or wrong, that's a HUGE can 'o' worms!). Whereas S3, Kunos, Reiza and ISI can tweak and patch to their hearts content. I think the issues that Kunos have with patching the console versions of AC is proving how difficult that process is with consoles and I'm certain it's that area that made SMS go the route they've gone.

Personally I'd have preferred PCars to be PC only and gone the same patch and upgrade route as all the others.

At the end of the day it's only a game. :)

But there was sign up. I guess no one used it because first game was a disappointment: http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/announcing-project-cars-2-sign-up-now/

The sign up was for those who wanted to participate during development. It wasn't needed to fund the development, it was to continue with a revamped WMD. The money is just to stop punters from signing up. People put more effort into things when there is money involved. This is also why the entry fee was higher than it was for the crowdfunding that happened for PC1.

Drove this over the weekend. Rain picks up and slows down over the course of the lap (localized weather). Hitting your marks was a different challenge each second. For the most part it was little if any rain on the top part of the track down to Aremberg - seemed to have more grip and very little rain saturation. Could push it a and ride curbs/throttle. 100% could feel and see the track change entering Adenauer Forst to Bergwerk and Karussell to really the start of Dottinger Höhe, it was a mess with water building up. Final 3 corners were understeer city with the rain build up. This was rain/fog after 1 flyer so not to much time for LT to build up - more or less light rain the entire time. Heavy/Storm is a entirely new ball game. Really think SMS might suprise a few of you guys over here, can't put the sim down :cool:

Seems there are a few of us here who signed up for beta and now getting some really good experience driving the newer builds of pC2. I do think pC2 is incredibly good, awesome in fact. Many will legitimately think that is a crock of bollocks based on pC1's failings and that also is understandable. I was very skeptical as to whether there would be significant changes to the core components of physics, tyres & handling and was very much enjoying my racing in RRE, Assetto and some rF2 together with Dirt Rally up until several months back when I finally got my wheel, motion & vr setup working to get properly stuck into driving the beta. Now I just cannot get enough of racing pC2 even as beta and unfinished. Roll on September ! ;)

Seems there are a few of us here who signed up for beta and now getting some really good experience driving the newer builds of pC2. I do think pC2 is incredibly good, awesome in fact. Many will legitimately think that is a crock of bollocks based on pC1's failings and that also is understandable. I was very skeptical as to whether there would be significant changes to the core components of physics, tyres & handling and was very much enjoying my racing in RRE, Assetto and some rF2 together with Dirt Rally up until several months back when I finally got my wheel, motion & vr setup working to get properly stuck into driving the beta. Now I just cannot get enough of racing pC2 even as beta and unfinished. Roll on September ! ;)

Sounds great, it really does but i read countless similar posts in the build up to pcars release and i believed it and wasted money on a terrible game.
Im not saying this isnt the case or that you a re a liar or anything :)
I really hope it turns out to be a solid title or amazing as people are already claiming.

Hope you understand my skepticism and thanks for your feedback on what you played.

Sounds great, it really does but i read countless similar posts in the build up to pcars release and i believed it and wasted money on a terrible game.
Im not saying this isnt the case or that you a re a liar or anything :)
I really hope it turns out to be a solid title or amazing as people are already claiming.

Hope you understand my skepticism and thanks for your feedback on what you played.
Well, I'd have argued similarly, but there are two things that seem to argue against that. First, the footage. Drifting is definitely a thing now, and it being impossible was one of the greatest negative points for pCARS 1. And then, Inside Sim Racing. If there's anyone I wouldn't expect to talk positively about the physics of Project CARS, it's this guy.

Apart from that, I happen to be one of the few people that still believe what they said about pC1, especially the tyre model. I truly believe it was as complicated as they made it out to be, and they failed at using it properly. R3E, Assetto Corsa, rFactor2 etc all have reasonably competent physics and that means that it's definitely possible to have them. Would be strange to see the biggest richest studio of those fail at that point for a second time when they know just how important this is.

Also, Project CARS 2's development began immediately after PC1 was out (not like AC). I'm of the opinion that they knew they wouldn't be able to wholly fix PC1 and wanted to set things right as soon as possible.

Slightly Mad Studios had a goal from the beginning to develop Project Cars as a brand new & competing racing franchise to titles like Forza and GT. The fact they began work on pC2 a couple months after release of pC1 was a business decision, same one all other studios make to continue work on a successful game franchise, and they still had people working on bug fixing pc1 anyway so the alternative would have been to lay staff off and not pay them. I have read many complaints from people on various forums citing this as something very bad, like SMS just took everyone's money and abandoned the original but that is just not true. The difference here is that SMS openly stated what they were doing. Other game studios do exactly the same except do not disclose that info until the development cycle is well underway. PC1 was successful and because of that they could afford to continue employing the same team to begin work asap on the follow up, which was guaranteed due to that success. I hope pC2 will be even more successful and that SMS begin work on pC3 similarly as early as possible as it makes perfectly good business sense, even if there are bugs or improvements still in the pipeline of pC2 because that should not interfere with beginning work on PC3.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back