#YourRaceDepartment: Monaco GP Moments

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
gptoons-grandprixtoons-f1-1982-monaco-riccardo-patrese-brabham-4.jpg

The Monaco Grand Prix is among the most anticipated events on the global motorsport calendar every year. There is something unbelievably special about watching insanely powerful, open wheel racing cars tearing around the tight streets of Monte Carlo.

Ever since Juan Manuel Fangio took victory in Formula One’s first ever visit to Monaco, there have been some absolutely awe-inspiring races around the harbour. In the spirit of today's Monaco Grand Prix, we asked our members in the first ever edition of YourRaceDepartment:

What is your favourite Monaco Grand Prix moment and why?

Christopher Vrettos-Turbocharged South African petrol-head and general Motorsports nerd.

My favourite Monaco moment – besides the epic Senna vs Mansell duel in 1992 – would definitely be the bizarre 1982 race. A downpour in the last few laps sent the leading Prost into the Armco on lap 74 of 76, leaving Riccardo Patrese to win his first ever race. However, he experienced quite a bit of luck – good and bad – to get there. Patrese spun, leaving Pironi to lead. However, he ran out of fuel. De Cesaris should have inherited the lead, but he also ran out of fuel, leaving Daly to assume the race lead. However, Daly’s gearbox seized, leaving a completely unknowing Patrese to take his first Grand Prix win. This race is a favourite of mine because of the Monty Python-esque way that it ended. In fact, I’m rather surprised that Graham Chapman didn’t barge into the commentary booth, shouting “Stop that, it’s silly!” This race has the sort of plot line which would be rejected by Hollywood movie directors for being too far-fetched. It’s completely unbelievable, and that is why I love it!

Manolis Sigoulakis-Speed and physics addict

Many Monaco races have been outstanding. However, my choice is the 1984 Monaco Grand Prix. Firstly, the race was wet and every wet race at Monaco stands to our memory. Secondly, the race marked a new era, with a young Ayrton Senna taking second place in a race which he could have won. We must not forget the third man on the podium, Stefan Bellof, another great talent; however he was disqualified from every race that season. The race started after a 45-minute delay, with Senna and Bellof rising through the field having started 13th and 20th respectively. They recurrently made difficult, clean overtakes. At the front, Prost and Mansell were battling, however the latter crashed. The race stopped as the two young men began catching Prost on lap 31. Senna celebrated, thinking that he had won; however, in light of the fact that Prost was awarded the win, the Brazilian believed that the decision was made because the FIA supported Prost.

Tristan Clark-Future Lamborghini Veneno owner and battling Harmonica player

Thank god for YouTube! This occurred many years before my time; however I would have to say that James Hunt’s crash and almost full-on brawl with the marshals would have to be my favourite Monaco GP moment. 63 laps into the 1975 Monaco Grand Prix, Hunt ended up in the wall after tangling with Jochen Mass on the entry to Mirabeau. Still loaded with adrenaline from hurtling around the tight Monte Carlo streets, Hunt took exception to being restrained by the marshals as they attempted to remove his stricken car. After almost knocking out an official, he proceeded to wait on the track in order to shake his fist at the Tyrell of Jochen Mass on the next lap, much to the anger of the trackside marshals. The Englishmen then calmly walked across the track while the race was in progress. How times have changed!

[youtube]

Chris Stacey/Tophercheese-Aspiring doer of things

My favourite Monaco GP moment would have to be the 2010 Monaco Grand Prix, in which Mark Webber managed to become the first Australian since Sir Jack Brabham in 1959 to win the prestigious race. It's not so much the fact that he won the race (which in itself is one of the greatest heights a sportsman can achieve in all of world sport), more so, it was the way he did it. Complete focus, precision and skill, and he didn't put a single tyre out of place for all 78 laps. Also, the fact that he's a fellow countryman of mine doesn't hurt either!

With the 2013 Monaco Grand Prix producing a historic win for Nico Rosberg on the 30th anniversary of his father's win in 1983, we can only hope that there are many more exciting races around the streets of Monte Carlo for many years to come! Thank you for your contributions everyone.

For details regarding how to contribute to YourRaceDepartment, please visit the details thread. Stay tuned for the announcement of our next topic here!

View the Post on the Blog

the bizarre 1982 race. A downpour in the last few laps sent the leading Prost into the Armco on lap 74 of 76, leaving Riccardo Patrese to win his first ever race.
One of the first races I can recall watching. That was a great one indeed :thumbsup:

I've been watching F1 since 94, and the race at Monaco who always stayed on top of my mind was the race where Olivier Panis managed to win, without doing any pitstops! I believe this was in '96 or '97. In the race all contenders for the victory got eliminated for different reasons, well almost everyone got eliminated, as there were only 5 cars to make it to the finish line that day!

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back