xpacks and textures

hello everyone,
i've made an xpack of 9 different types of power poles, re-using the same textures as much as possible, think a total of five. when i look in the track folder in Locations i see the textures appearing multiple times with a number.

so if i have 3 poles with the same post texture i get:
post.dds, post1.dds, post2.dds etc

i think this stems from the xpack import procedure, it appears the same way in btb, so i was wondering if there is a way to assign the same material/dds to each pole as you do in 3dmax, rather than having the xpack automatically create a new material/dds per power pole?

cheers

If you want control over the texture mapping (rotation, scaling, etc..) use track sections or walls.
Terrain is for filling and therefore designed for using repeating textures like grass, sand, etc.

With walls is that problem as terrain attaches to the road not to the wall. With track sections i need to attach too many surfaces nodes to get road side terrain surface i need, it's real pain and slow doing so

• buckets

If you only want the extra nodes in a few places I tend to do the following - although someone may have found a better way.

I create a copy of the track and remove the texture (and nodes) that I don't need so that it overlays only the area in which I want to add roadside detail. I then create the extra nodes I require on this bit of track. Usually removing all the nodes that create the road surface I copied. I then texture this new bit of track section for the bits either side of the road surface. I then attach the terrain original track.

I've also noticed that some walls are not being displayed in v6 (when viewed in rfactor) but not had chance to investigate why this may be yet.
I've not changed anything on those walls or surrounding area since v5 and they looked ok back then so must be something to do with v6???

The rendering in V6 has changed so that the default is to only render one side of the object.
Thus speeding up framerates in RF.
It is most noticable in walls without ends because you are looking inside & seeing nothing.

The solution is to make your objects solid (ie put ends on your walls) or to change the texture (in Edit Materials tab) to double sided.

This is also why some objects appear to render inside out.
Sometimes Max gets confused on export & puts the Normals on the wrong side.
These can be fixed in Max by creating a new shape like a box.
Select it & attach your created object to it.
Then delete the box part of your creation & the object will now take it's normals from the box & hopefuly the right way round.

I'm not sure if this process will work in other 3D applications but is worth a try.

I've waffled on far too long.
Hope this helps.

Cheers

jofan, have you checked the skybox in 3dsimed, to see if it is scaled correctly.i have notice the skybox is really tiny compared to some of the tracks coming out.and check if the noclip is activated on skybox.and maybe a rescale too.

• Liam Hatchell

All those guys wondering about strange looking objects, go into your materials list and set all the materials used by the objects to Double-Sided. It DOES work for all objects and it's the same for walls if you have edited the cross section to use just a single face, and happen to have accidentally put it so that it shows the 'invisible' side.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back