XPacker road types

Can anyone tell me about the differences in the road material under 'rFactor Material Name' in XPacker. I know they relate to what kind of driving surface/properties a material is, and some are obvious: GRAS = grass, GRVL = gravel, ROADA = road, RMBL = rumble (?), for example - but what do all the others do, what's the difference, when would I use them - and can I make my own types?!

Thanks...sorry if this is an obvious question.... :confused:

xpacker_road_mats.jpg

Alvaz, thanks, had a good look at the tdf..... looks like a whole new world of editing outside of BTB......! :eek: How do I know what's right? BTB generates a grip for a dry normal road at 1.00. Another track I have downloaded - Interlagos, for example - has 0.98. Is that more realistic for a standard race track? What does 1.00 equate to? Cheers :)

Alvaz, thanks, had a good look at the tdf..... looks like a whole new world of editing outside of BTB......! :eek: How do I know what's right? BTB generates a grip for a dry normal road at 1.00. Another track I have downloaded - Interlagos, for example - has 0.98. Is that more realistic for a standard race track? What does 1.00 equate to? Cheers :)

I think the best way to test the grip is by trial and error. In fantasy tracks, it depends on what kind of feel you want to give your track, but it all becomes more complicated when modelling a real track, of course, because you need to have some guidelines as regards the level of grip it has. I seem to remember reading somewhere that, for instance, Silverstone has very good grip because of the quality of the tarmac, whereas the Hungaroring is rarely used during the year, so it feels close to a skating rink, at least at the start of an F1 weekend.

If you're going to fiddle with these values, do so at small intervals. There is a HUGE difference between 1.00 grip and 0.50 grip, similar to the difference between bone-dry tarmac and ice. The same applies to all the other values: I remember increasing the density of gravel traps by 0.2 and it went from 'OK, I'm kind of stuck but if I keep my foot down I might be able to come out' to 'this feels like molasses, there's no way I'm getting out of here in a million years'.

Grip values are tough because the tire model used also plays into what is perceived by the driver. If it's a fantasy track, then who cares? But, for a real track, my suggestion is to leave them alone until you have a mod (or collection of mods) that are appropriate for the track and you happen to know how many Gs the cars pull and then try to match it using the mod(s). Obviously the more mods being catered to, the more your grip number will become a compromise.

Also, I'd adjust the value in increments no larger than 0.01 as any race driver will tell you they'd kill to have a 1% improvement!

Other thoughts: fresh concrete is grippiest, fresh and properly cured asphalt is next, then aged/worn smooth asphalt, then sealed asphalt, and finally worn/polished concrete is the worst. Race tracks generally don't use concrete for the racing surface because it polishes so quickly under cornering loads. Large aggregate or cobble in asphalt is like polished concrete when worn. Medium-sized and sharp aggregate is grippiest in asphalt. The whole range probably covers no more than 10% in terms of grip, with the first 3 surfaces being no more than 4% apart IMHO.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 132 13.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 70 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 139 13.9%