Xenon Racer Open Beta Now Open

Greg Latty

1000RPM
Guess what? Without arcade games none of us would probably have sims. Most, not all, are introduced to racing by a simple arcade game. I was born in 1964 so this is what I cut my teeth on at home when I wasn't in an arcade:
Intellivision's
OMG!! I had this game as a kid. it was a hand me down from my uncle. Wow this brings back memories. The controller with the number pad and circle pad..:roflmao: This system started my gaming addiction. Had this and pitfall space armada and some baseball game where i had to plug in a keyboard.

Bobby Pennington

8000RPM
Premium
OMG!! I had this game as a kid. it was a hand me down from my uncle. Wow this brings back memories. The controller with the number pad and circle pad..:roflmao: This system started my gaming addiction. Had this and pitfall space armada and some baseball game where i had to plug in a keyboard.
Thanks for sharing with me. Many, many great memories. We had a blast with that system.

MarkR

500RPM
We gave Xenon Racer a go this morning. We generally like arcade racing games and there are some good aspect but unfortunately the racing itself in currently flawed...

--- All the available cars feel wooden and reluctant to turn, even with the forced drift engaged.
--- The drift 'double tap accelerate/decelerate/handbrake' only seems to work intermittently and this makes for a frustrating experience. I can't determine a pattern to when it works and doesn't.
-- The cars basically don't turn without using drift, except through some fast sweeping corners when inexplicably they do. It currently doesn't make much sense.

The problem is that there are already arcade type games like Forza Horizon 4 that have almost perfect drift mechanics, without the need for artificial double taps to trigger drifts. I wanted to like the game but as it is it's hard sell. Even games like The Crew 2 and Burnout Paradise Remastered are miles ahead of this game in terms of enjoyable arcade car handling.

The good aspects, and there are many:

+ Graphics look good and it has its own style.
+ Plays smoothly and looks fast.
+ Tracks have some character
+ Xbox one controller works well from the menu screen
+ Menus are clear
+ AI are fine for an arcade game, may need some additional balancing
+ Online races work

Overall there is the basis of an OK if dated game. Personally I'd still prefer an old Ridge Racer game to this.

The full price is a huge issue for me, there is no way this is a full price £42.99 console game as it stands. In terms of quality this game sits alongside something like Danger Zone 2 a £15.99 game. Maybe the full release will get closer to Grip, a £34.99 game on console - but Grip didn't convince me enough to buy it, and the handling in Grip is far more evolved than the current build of Xenon Racer.

We wanted to like it and gave it a fair shot but unless the game play improves massively before launch we'll pass. If it's like this at launch it'll be on Game Pass within a month.

MeltFire

10RPM
Really tempted to get it, especially since there’s a 50% off sale on steam right now.
Really? where? It only shows the beta download button on Steam and there no mention of it when I google it. Can you provide a link? Unless you mean when it becomes available on Mar 26?

Sky

500RPM
gave it a go. cars are absolutely horrible to drive. don't turn unless you drift but the drifting makes no sense and seems to happen randomly. cars look dumb. tracks are bland. music is awful. cheesy voicover guy is cheesy.

its like every single thing about this game annoys me.

BP

500RPM
Premium
Really? where? It only shows the beta download button on Steam and there no mention of it when I google it. Can you provide a link? Unless you mean when it becomes available on Mar 26?
You're too late, it was a midweek madness sale...sorry buddy.

Sorry I thought you were talking about Wreckfest. The title of the thread said it's an open beta. The full game is not out yet. There's a link to the steam page on the first post of the thread in the first paragraph.

Sky

500RPM
i don't know at least compared to racecraft, xenon ran at more than 12 fps or whatever. so i'll give it that

MarkR

500RPM
RaceCraft may be a more relevant title for the tastes of the majority of forum members here.
Free-To-Play (or an optional paid upgrade to Premium), procedurally generated tracks, online racing, full wheel/pedals/shifter support, VR #comingsoon, etc.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/346610/Racecraft/
Thanks, I'd never heard of this one either and gave it a go. Good concept for sure but it has some issues:

- Wouldn't recognise my TX458 wheel no matter what I did, the calibration system is odd.
- The FPS slow down braking into corners makes car control tricky, it's like when AC launched on console, turn the car and the whole game slows to a crawl - physics/tyre calculations taking up too much memory I wonder?
- Difficult to get a feel for the level of grip on the track and judge cornering speeds - it's no Forza Horizon in terms of car feedback via the control pad.

All that said it is quite likeable and it certainly has potential if they can get it performing smoothly and the wheel to actually work.

Both games are a bit underwhelming at this stage.

Top Bottom