F1 2012 XBOX 360 help wanted

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)

David O'Reilly

A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.
The HRT team have reported an ECU fault within my car.
Apparently its the main interface between the drivers control surfaces in the real world and the virtual world. The item is often referred to as the Xbox.
It has the red rings of death.
HRT are committed to fixing or replacing the said ECU.
Due to budget constraints within the bankrupt HRT team it will fall to the driver to fix it.
I have looked on line on youtube and seen a guy pull it apart and clean up the dust and then refix the heat sinks to the CPU and GPU with fresh "heat paste".

any ideas, comments or suggestions?

sincerely
HRT #1 driver, race strategist, lorry driver and cook
Figjam RACER

It might be better without the storyline. :O_o:

Do you have a problem with your XBox?

If so, what makes you think that replacing the thermal paste on the heatsinks will solve your problem?

Is the Xbox unreliable/flaky and you think that it is due to overheating?

Cleaning dust out of the unit is generally quite a good thing to do, just like PC's. However removing heatsinks and re-applying fresh thermal paste, should only be done if you have a specific reason to do so. It would not be recommended as a 'normal' maintenance practice.

Cheers :)

Hey David,
I had the red rings of death a couple years ago and took my xbox into a local electronics repair shop to see if it could be repaired (I called a few places before i found one that repaired them).
He was unable to repair mine because the mother board had been overheated and, as a result, it had too many cracks.
He didn't charge me for the inspection :)
He also had used xbox's for purchase. (I bought a new one instead)
I'm sure you should be able to find something similar where you live.

btw I liked the story-line :)

Guys I am pleased to advise that the HRT team has successfully repaired the ECU.
translated this means....
I pulled the Xbox apart, dusted it. Cleaned the contact areas with CPU and GPU and heat sinks then re seated the heat sinks on fresh thermal paste then blow dried and heated the whole circuit board with my wifes hair dryer ( I dont have a hair dryer cos I'm too hard). Apparently this "re flows the solder" or something.
Any way she is up and running and appears to be as good as new. May be my imagination but maybe even playing better? (less heat maybe).
Any way for a bloke who doesnt get involved in repairing anything since my slot car in the mid 1970s pretty happy about it.

It might be better without the storyline. :O_o:

Do you have a problem with your XBox?

If so, what makes you think that replacing the thermal paste on the heatsinks will solve your problem?

Is the Xbox unreliable/flaky and you think that it is due to overheating?

Cleaning dust out of the unit is generally quite a good thing to do, just like PC's. However removing heatsinks and re-applying fresh thermal paste, should only be done if you have a specific reason to do so. It would not be recommended as a 'normal' maintenance practice.

Cheers :)
Graham I had a look on Youtube and it was the suggested solution to the 3 rings of death on the Xbox 360.
So I carried it out and all good as reported above. I now have a functioning console again.

That's great, I am glad it worked out for you. It seems that you had good reason for doing what you did. :)

I don't own any consoles, so have no idea what the 3 rings of death are :cautious: (Hula Hoops, Doughnuts, and Wedding Rings perhaps? ;) )

So just like my own PC, I clean the dust, but don't remove any heatsinks from components, unless I am suspicious that there is overheating, and so a need to do it. So I was just giving general advice rather than specific advice.

Cheers

That's great, I am glad it worked out for you. It seems that you had good reason for doing what you did. :)

I don't own any consoles, so have no idea what the 3 rings of death are :cautious: (Hula Hoops, Doughnuts, and Wedding Rings perhaps? ;) )

So just like my own PC, I clean the dust, but don't remove any heatsinks from components, unless I am suspicious that there is overheating, and so a need to do it. So I was just giving general advice rather than specific advice.

Cheers

It was a journey into the unkown but based on some research. The fear was that opening a console could be like opening the the Ark of the Covenant in the Indiana Jones movie. No way of controlling where or how the virtual and real world would interact. But you know what! once inside its circuit boards CPU, GPU , heat sinks etc much like a PC. And there was us thinking console users and PC users are like a different religion. We have more in common than first thought. Now if only the Shias and Sunnis could see it that way or even the seculars and islamists in Egypt.

You bring a hope for peace, but I fear you will be crushed by the weight of history.

The Ark of the Covenant is a good analogy.

Looking into an XBox 360 or PS3, must be like looking at ancient PC technology ;) :p

Common ancestry, but diverging like Homo Sapiens & Neanderthals.

This year will see the comeback of the Neanderthals, only to start fading again over the following 7 years because they cannot evolve.

/tongue removed from cheek

You bring a hope for peace, but I fear you will be crushed by the weight of history.

The Ark of the Covenant is a good analogy.

Looking into an XBox 360 or PS3, must be like looking at ancient PC technology ;) :p

Common ancestry, but diverging like Homo Sapiens & Neanderthals.

This year will see the comeback of the Neanderthals, only to start fading again over the following 7 years because they cannot evolve.

/tongue removed from cheek

Brilliant analogies there :thumbsup:
I have hedged my evolutionary bets as I also have a 6 core gaming PC with a nice GPU. So whether its Neanderthals or Homosapiens to the fore I will have one in my front room:cool:
Saying that I wont be updating to a next gen console unless there is a truly inspired "sim type" game released. EG an update of Race Pro.
Much as I love RF2 the old Xbox 360 has a place and I have some good race buddies on F1 2011.

Hopefully with a strong but fair and representative pairliament all can co- exist.

You've got me wondering if i should open up my old one and have a "walk about" through it David. I was unable to transfer any of the saved games from the old hard drive into the new xbox so there are some saved games there that i'd like to try and recover, namely the Red Dead Redemption game save... i never got a chance to finish it.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 277 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 402 40.0%