Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we are all excited for this release. What I don't know is how many people intend to a) play it on the xbox one and b) would like to join some sort of a formal league here at Race Department.

There are so many possibilities, I've had to calm myself down from getting lost in them. However, my main passion, IndyCar, will probably not be able to be run until the DLC with the ovals comes to the Xbox One.

That said, what sort of series would you like to see? Personally, ones that come to mind are Tudor United Sports Car Series, WEC, British Touring Car, and DTM. One of these could fill the gap for me until IndyCar is possible, but others may have better ideas.

Please indicate below if you are interested and what sort of times you are available and which series' you prefer. We could follow the actual schedule of many a series, due to the timing of the release. Personally, if they get the ovals out before IndyCar starts, I'll probably turn my focus there, but nothing would prevent running another alongside.

The anticipation is killing me! :sick:

pCars may be the game that finally gives us console gamers the depth and realism that the PC guys have always had.

If this game is as good as has been advertised it could change the face of console sim racing. Soooooo many possibilities.

pCars may be the game that finally gives us console gamers the depth and realism that the PC guys have always had.

If this game is as good as has been advertised it could change the face of console sim racing. Soooooo many possibilities.

Well better late than never Hemps! :whistling: I'm glad you are staying with us. And I'm glad to see you support pCARS, or, at least, are excited. Then again, you were always open to racing whatever had four wheels, regardless of series...and damn good at it too.

Think you are right about pCARS. The best information I have gotten is from the PC guys and looking very carefully at the menu options on the videos, that I hope they carry over to the console. I'll add you to the thread Peter and I have that really goes WAY deep into the whole pCARS on the console speculation. Some great points by @Peter Hooper there and some great vids I have found.

I would love to see a WEC championship and a DTM championship. What about everyone else? What would be the championship that you could take part in that would make this a definite purchase for you?

Personally, the dream of creating a real IndyCar series seems to be doable once the oval DLC arrive. That's the one thing I've always wanted. Not only are the cars top notch (reports claim that SMS has the IndyCar license, but right now all you see is "Formula B" in the game...I hope this evolves into a true IndyCar) but the tracks can be made to either exactly replicate or closely replicate the actual schedule.

Until we get the ovals, I'd have to say DTM would be a great Series. From what I've seen re: the PC version, the tracks, tire options, weather, and cars all align.

As you know Robert I am definitely very interested but will not be on it from the ground up. I can't see me making any move on next gen or PC now until the Summer.

British Touring cars and WEC would be the main ones that I would most like to see (other than Indycar of course...) given the choice but am happy to go with anything at all.

As for availability.. best left to those that are going to be there from the start and i'll slot in somewhere if it fits when I am in a position to join up at a later date.

As you know Robert I am definitely very interested but will not be on it from the ground up. I can't see me making any move on next gen or PC now until the Summer.

British Touring cars and WEC would be the main ones that I would most like to see (other than Indycar of course...) given the choice but am happy to go with anything at all.

As for availability.. best left to those that are going to be there from the start and i'll slot in somewhere if it fits when I am in a position to join up at a later date.
i bet 5 mins with forza in any car would change your mind for wanting to upgrade asap :)

As much as I would like to try out Forza and would no doubt enjoy it I think it would only be something I would play as a little diversion now and then, much the same as Forza 4 on the 360. As far as I understand it the actual 'racing' is still very much secondary in the game and not being someone who cares about cars in particular has always meant games like Forza and GT pass me by despite how good they look.

The upgrade is something I have always said I would take my time with and especially now that there is still so much on the 360 to keep me occupied. A family holiday has taken precedent for the first half of the year and unless an unmissable deal comes along it will be around June time that I would start looking in earnest... just about the time that F1 is also due to be coming to town.

As much as I would like to try out Forza and would no doubt enjoy it I think it would only be something I would play as a little diversion now and then, much the same as Forza 4 on the 360. As far as I understand it the actual 'racing' is still very much secondary in the game and not being someone who cares about cars in particular has always meant games like Forza and GT pass me by despite how good they look.

The upgrade is something I have always said I would take my time with and especially now that there is still so much on the 360 to keep me occupied. A family holiday has taken precedent for the first half of the year and unless an unmissable deal comes along it will be around June time that I would start looking in earnest... just about the time that F1 is also due to be coming to town.
hey peter with the driveatar thing its actually the best ai racing you will have ever faced to be honest.
I wasnt trying to be funny or annoying it just letting you know you will be pleasantly surprised when you do make the change

hey peter with the driveatar thing its actually the best ai racing you will have ever faced to be honest.
I wasnt trying to be funny or annoying it just letting you know you will be pleasantly surprised when you do make the change

I was in several Forza 4 leagues and I have Forza 5 as you know. I have to both agree and disagree with you on your points.

Where I disagree, is mostly how Peter so aptly put it. Forza is still not a racing game. That's why all of the sites that were heretofore "Forza Crazy" or "Forza Only" are jumping ship when pCARS comes out. With no tyre (see I'm getting it Chris) wear, and no fuel consumption and no flag system and no corner cutting penalties, and no weather, Forza cannot be classified as a racing game, IMO. One day, maybe Turn 10 will realize this mistake when pCARS eats their lunch. The fact that they are already advertizing Forza 6 tells me they are quite nervous about pCARS. And they should be.

What I agree with you about is that Forza5 has largely fixed the utter crap that was their excuse for physics and tyre modeling. With the scanned tracks (they claim all of them are and I can't say I doubt them) and the much improved physics, it makes driving on the 360 seem like child's play sometimes. I don't mean the racing, because I have had some of the best racing with old 360 games of late (and good people to race with, but a broken Fanatec to boot), but what Forza5 does that is really stunning to this 360 convert is to connect you with the road like never before outside of real life. When you factor in a Thrustmaster TX Italia, with it's approximately 20 different variations of minute yet detectable car responses, such as torque pull, gear chirp, getting light, increasing G forces in dips, and on and on, you have a driving experience that few on the 360 can really be prepared for. I know I wasn't. When I popped the disk in I went straight to Road Atlanta, a track I had raced on, I literally had flashbacks. And each car is very different. I owned a MINI and it was crap in Forza4 and pretty much crap on any 360 game (compared to the real thing, except maybe race pro came somewhat in the ballpark). But in Forza5, it felt like I was driving my MINI. That's what you are getting at, I think. And no doubt you can have some real "racing" without all the racing details...just cars on track racing each other, but you can't really ever have a race...instead, you have a glorified track day.

No doubt I'd have a $3,000 computer SIM if I could afford it, but I can't, so you just have to wait. For most on this site, I don't think Forza is compelling enough, even if they played it. Well, some would be stunned and go get that second mortgage, but not all. For me, it's the wheel that makes the difference. And when you combine that with pCARS, I think that's going to be it. Period. F1 be damned. But F1 is so popular in these parts that many will not really get serious about switching until that title comes out. And that's perfectly their choice. I just hope it's not a dud because Codemasters is in serious trouble, as it stands. The great thing is, they will have pCARS to fall in love with.

I never took your comment in anything but a positive way Dan :thumbsup: I know that I will have a lot of fun with it when I do make the upgrade move but it's just that on its own it wasn't enough to persuade me to fork out what is a very significant outlay (console and wheel). I probably would have got something this month in preparation for pCars if it hadn't been for making the decision to book a much needed holiday for the wife and little 'un instead... They had to take priority so the next gaming move was put on the back burner.

Robert has kept me well informed on all things Forza since he picked it up and there are lots of things about it that appeal, especially the tracks and handling. I still now and then dip into Forza 4 and it is fun (far removed from 5 I know) but it has never grabbed me in the same way as F1, Grid Autosport and lately Shift 2 and the feeling is that Forza 5 would be a similar dip in and out game for me rather than a full on grab me by the balls and pull me in effort.

Here is a video I found that highlights the menu options in pCARS. Keep in mind this is still not finished and comes from PC play, but my guess is that many will be retained for the console. Such as:
1. Upload your races directly to YouTube.
2. Mechanical Failures as an option
3. Starting your engine
4. Damage, Tire Wear, Fuel consumption options
5. Driver Aids that can be set to "real" so if the real life series has an aid, such as TC, so does the gameplay.
6. A.I. Customization via sliders - e.g. challenge, aggression, reaction time, intelligence, passing, blocking, stamina, risk taking.
7. Flags AND PENALTIES.
8. Speed sensitive camera settings for helmet and cockpit view.
9. Shake, Jitter, and G-Force effect sliders.
10. Look to apex, camera, and helmet leaning sliders. (videos you see are not set in stone as far as viewpoint goes and you can turn the blur off in helmet view).
11. Leaderboards not only for all tracks, but for all types of cars.
12. Create your own season (for instance, a full DTM schedule, with actual weather for the day of the race or the day the actual race took place).
13. Rolling or Standing start option.
14. Full customization of the race weekend, including practice, qualifying, and time, progression of weather, and distance.
15. Deep tuning.
16. No auto pits if desired. You must drive into your box.
17. Full accessibility of all cars and tracks with no "money earned" system to hinder your options.
18. Free Practice with full customization.
19. Opponents over 30.
20. No parts upgrades to fool with. The cars are built like they are in real life.

Regarding the delay, this is from a PC tester, software engineer and project manager, member Richard Eriksson:

"But i have to give it to them, the engine itself is really awesome as it scales VERY well with different hardware, and threads it's rendering without issues. So the tech beneath the surface seems solid. But i think that even if they have to cut away all the bells and whistles to maintain the 60 fps goal (look at Forza 5 for a lesson in pre-calc lighting, fake dynamic shadows, flat texturing, no aniso etc.) it will be beautiful in a console game sense.

"On consoles this CAN become huge however, and it could rival some of the more easygoing titles on PC, so i feel it will be fun once the issues are ironed out. So I'm all for fixing them instead of releasing prematurely. Delay for as long as needed instead of releasing unfinished parts..."

Personally, the dream of creating a real IndyCar series seems to be doable once the oval DLC arrive. That's the one thing I've always wanted. Not only are the cars top notch (reports claim that SMS has the IndyCar license, but right now all you see is "Formula B" in the game...I hope this evolves into a true IndyCar) but the tracks can be made to either exactly replicate or closely replicate the actual schedule.

I always took Formula B for a GP2 car or something like that.

I always took Formula B for a GP2 car or something like that.

I think it's like the old A1 car, or the ones that were in the International series. It looks like an IndyCar, but maybe since they claim they have the license, they are waiting for the aero packages to be fully released. Maybe someone can clarify, but I think the ovals will be released as a DLC.

I think it's like the old A1 car, or the ones that were in the International series. It looks like an IndyCar, but maybe since they claim they have the license, they are waiting for the aero packages to be fully released. Maybe someone can clarify, but I think the ovals will be released as a DLC.
You're right on that one, I remember seeing in an earlier build the Formula B car had a Push To Pass button on it.

A video from Yorkie regarding the weather cycle. Surely be on the console.

IT'S SOO PRETTY!! Heavily recommend watching in 1080p. Explanation of the 24hour day and night cycle in the sim, along with weather settings.

Project Cars is still under development. Any gameplay is not representational of the final product.
Build version: 939
Project Cars website: http://www.wmdportal.com/

Platform: PC
Assists: ABS On, Everything else Off and Manual
Wheel: Logitech Driving Force GT wheel
Recorded: DXTory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%