WTR Secure Daytona 24hr Victory

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Daytona 24h Race .jpg

WTR took a rain lashed victory at Daytona today, the Cadillac outfit securing a win in stormy conditions - adding another new trophy to Fernando Alonso's growing cabinet.

For a 24 hour race event, much of the Rolex 24 would be held under either safety car conditions or held for red flags, as the unforgiving rain would continue to fall and prevent the field safely racing on the famous 3.5 mile part oval, part road course configuration.

Starting strongly under cloudy skies, the opening portion of the Rolex Daytona 24 would be a dramatic and closely fought event throughout the various classes of cars running, with the Acura and Cadillac teams taking up the top positions and fighting it out amongst themselves for the honour of leading the early portion of the race.

Making his second start at the big race, former World Champion Fernando Alonso would be in stupendous form for WTR, performing some very impressive stints in both wet and dry conditions as the Spaniard took up the fight at the front of the field. Alonso, sharing driving duties with Toyota WEC team mate Kamui Kobayashi and WTR regular Jordan Taylor, would eventually hold out to see the chequered flag from the pit wall and take a popular victory.

LMP2 would be a solid event that went to the Dragonspeed outfit, although with just 4 cars in the field, much of the attention would be focussed elsewhere throughout the race.

In GTLM, the BMW squad of Connor De Phillippi, Philipp Eng, Colton Herta and Augusto Farfus would take victory lane after a hard fought race, the BMW team coming out as surprise victors in a race many expected the team to struggle with.

In GTD, the battle was no less fierce during those rare moments of on track action, with victory eventually going to the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 of the GRT Grasser Racing Team, continuing a rich vein of form at the classic American event.

Full Rolex 24 Hour Results.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Sad for the red flags.
But when they race..... holy batman! THIS is racing, folks. Cant wait for Sebring, too bad Toyota wont allow Alonso and Kobayashi, would like to see a remake of this Nasr x Alonso battle.

The rainy conditions were quite bizarre. Though I normally cringe about how easy the race directors in US racing giving a FCY... This time it was amaing how long they let the slip-and-slide continue. The two periods red flag were imho the only rightful way to go. With the onboard videos it was obvious that everyone without clean air just had zero vision.

But just before the final red flag you saw the excellent race craft of both Alonso and Nasr. With the tiny mistake Nasr made, you saw they still were racing on the edge as were others kept spinning.

It was a super exciting race. The second half was crazy, with great fights on a soaked track and so many big names ending up in crashes, spins and off-track.

It seems that only Nasr and Kobayashi were matching Alonso's speed. "Lemanso" as they called him on IMSA TV really stole the show.

I guess you should always be careful what you wish for. In the lead up to the race, I was watching the weather hoping for some rain - it was in the forecast, then it wasn't in the forecast..... I think changing weather is one of the great variables of endurance racing, but to have that race end without someone taking the checkered flag under power seemed like an injustice. How many GTD cars finished or were running on the lead lap in the end? Amazing!

It will be an interesting contrast to watch the Toyota parade in Sebring if it's followed up with a 12h contest even remotely close to the drama Daytona offered up.

As an Alonso fan, I am very happy he won. I was not aware the race was available on TV in Canada (on a small cable channel) until late last evening, so I missed quite a big chunk of it. Woke up this morning to catch the end only to realize it was raining cats and dogs in Florida... Anyway, great cars, great track and a good way to start the 2019 racing season!:)

Nothing against WEC/GT3 just I like 1 man 1 machine

All things being equal he should be WEC champion that leaves the 2 biggies for me Cart title, win Indy
that would be double triple crown :alien:

Serious though want to see him on the greatest old school road and street courses on the planet
for mine euro tracks have changed for the worst where as US still remains the same :barefoot:

Real winner of that race is the WTR race engineers - whoever set that car up was an absolute genius, no-one anywhere seems to mention Jordan Taylor doing exactly what Alonso did & just drive away from everyone else at the rate of several seconds a lap, several times - and he wasn't any slower either ( nor was Kamui when they actually let him in the car... he got four stints the entire race! ). The win came down to the rain lottery and whoever the director felt like leaving in front when the reds came out, sadly - that wasn't a 24hr race, just a 10 hour one. Risi led GTLM much of the time & BMW were nowhere, except when the final red came out...

I suspect Caddy might get a whack of the BoP hammer before the main season starts, somehow.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.7%