WTCR | Three Race Format Dropped For 2020

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The WTCR will reduce to a two-race-per-weekend format for 2020, in an effort to reduce costs and maintain grid sizes in the top level TCR specification touring car series.

Initially planned for an introduction in 2021, Europsport Events and the FIA have confirmed a number of cost cutting measures will be applied to the FIA WTCR this season, citing the changes as necessary in response to current global market conditions.

Of the changes, the most noticeable for fans of the series will be a reduction to two races per event from the start of the new season. Reducing the racing action to just two days, consisting of two practice sessions, a single three-phase qualification and two races. Race 2 will be around three laps longer than the opening race, and the Race 1 grid will be partially reversed with the Race 2 grid decided by the combined qualifying order.

In other cost cutting measures, the FIA have confirmed a limit of team personnel allowed to work on the cars. Two-car teams will be restricted to 12 personnel and three-car teams limited to 18 personnel. However, only 10 personnel per team will be assigned the armbands that permit them to work on a car.

Tyres are also under scrutiny for the season ahead, with sole tyre supplier Goodyear providing 18 new tyres per car for the first event and 12 new tyres allowed thereafter. This falls from an allowance of 22 and 18 respectively.

We have acted decisively and responsibly to protect WTCR, keep it strong for all the stakeholders, maintain its appeal among fans and media and ensure it remains attractive and accessible for new privateer teams wanting to race at the highest possible level of TCR,” said François Ribeiro, Head of Eurosport Events, the WTCR promoter. “Unsustainable budgets and acknowledging the impact the coronavirus outbreak is having on the global economy, has accelerated the introduction of a number of cost reduction measures and format changes developed together with the FIA and team representatives. But these changes are a must, not a nice to have and we must keep moving forward in a responsible fashion. However, Eurosport Events, in its role as the WTCR promoter, will not reduce the broadcast output or the marketing effort in order to protect the product that we deliver to the fans and the value and exposure we bring to the teams and sponsors involved.”

Original Source: WTCR

For the latest news on motorsport related matters, head over to the Motorsport sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

WTCR Rule Changes 2.jpg

Last edited:
"citing the changes as necessary in response to current global market conditions. "

The manufacturers have always raced for a reason.
Developing stuff for road use to simply brand awareness.

This is because a rough time is coming with the switch to electric so proper race series, not low level hobby ones, will need to start doing this more an more, even indy teams in WTCR buy stuff from the manufacturers.

Its coming, get used to it. They need to start pushing electric cars so racing is where they will develop and gain brand awareness.
Look they put diesels into Le Mans history so not sure why it'll be hard to eventually push electric racing to the youngsters...

agree with Brice, it was sort of bloated the last two years, I can understand racing on two days of a weekend but I always felt the third race was "greedy". Pity they cannot fill the grid with more private teams, they should really try to get local teams on the grid for a weekend if that is at all feasible, i.e. trying to coordinate local schedules with their schedule (but I bet they are already doing this). As Safie said, with attention turning towards electric racing, I guess this is what will happen to other series as well in the near future. Hasn't Rallyx been suffering as well?

fresh off the press:
"PURE ETCR, the world’s first all-electric, multi-brand touring car championship launched in Paris today, will guest at two WTCR – FIA World Touring Car Cup events in 2020.
Promoted by Eurosport Events, the Discovery-owned promoter behind the WTCR – FIA World Touring Car Cup, PURE ETCR will deliver electrifying on-track battles that will thrill motorsport fans and provide a brand-new platform for the biggest automotive manufacturers to demonstrate their latest electric production cars in the intense environment of the racetrack.
PURE ETCR’s inaugural season will comprise four showcase events including two run in tandem with WTCR.
The planned WTCR Race of Austria at Salzburgring (24-26 July)* and WTCR Race of South Korea at Inje Spedium (16-18 October) will have the honour of hosting two of the four introductory weekends, with Goodyear, the WTCR’s official tyre supplier, announced as the PURE ETCR launch partner and official tyre supplier.
Although the timetables for the unique double-header events are unannounced, fans in attendance can expect the perfect complement to the traditional and highly successful WTCR racing format.
As well as PURE ETCR, WTCR will join forces with the FIA European Truck Racing Championship at the Hungary and Slovakia Ring events from 24-26 April and 5-7 June respectively. The guest race package at other WTCR events is under discussion.
Click here to find out more about PURE ETCR.

*WTCR Race of Austria subject to FIA World Motor Sport Council validation"
source: wtcr homepage

Just go back to how WTCC was from 2006 - 2010; a.k.a. the best touring car series on earth. Bring the broadcasts back to Eurosport 1 on reasonable times that people can remember.

Ever since BMW left, the series seems to be struggling with a lack of identity. They try to looks like DTM one year, followed by BTCC the year after.

WTCC old style was fabulous and the 2005 ETCC with long endurance races even better imo.

I can appreciate an electric car and it's tech but I just don't see the value in racing for spectators and that is what WTCC/TCR is about.

Hell yeah, haydays of WTCC :inlove:

I agree, but it's happening regardless and it will have an audience.
If motorsport development stopped the minute 'fans' moaned about change, then F1 would still be using the Lotus 49.
The outrage at the first wings and even corporate sponsors was huge. But look what happened...

Just go back to how WTCC was from 2006 - 2010; a.k.a. the best touring car series on earth. Bring the broadcasts back to Eurosport 1 on reasonable times that people can remember.

Ever since BMW left, the series seems to be struggling with a lack of identity. They try to looks like DTM one year, followed by BTCC the year after.

WTCC old style was fabulous and the 2005 ETCC with long endurance races even better imo.

1990 DTM
1997 BTCC
2006 WTCC

All golden periods for each series.Re-discovering that magic is the difficult part.Worrying times for the tin top series with expensive hybrids or spec electric cars the future.
The BTCC looks healthiest because it does not rely on the manufacturers.OEMs are what every series wants because they bring the money,visibility & prestige but really they are the enemy of any long term successful championship.Interesting also to see what happens to Holden in Supercar Series.

wise words, jonny

well, tintops are alive and kicking in iRacing, just done a brilliant race in the Cadillac CTS-VR at Lime Rock. Small track, blind apexes, two types of car (caddy + KIA touring car), soooo much fun (even though I lost it chasing down the Caddy in 6th and had to limp home in 9th :whistling: )

I agree, but it's happening regardless and it will have an audience.
If motorsport development stopped the minute 'fans' moaned about change, then F1 would still be using the Lotus 49.
The outrage at the first wings and even corporate sponsors was huge. But look what happened...

What happened? The sport transitioned into a money-driven exercise ruining most of the sportsmanship in the process. It's not all bad, but a huge cultural loss occurred that was recognized by those at the time who were in it for the sport as opposed to the money.

What happened? The sport transitioned into a money-driven exercise ruining most of the sportsmanship in the process. It's not all bad, but a huge cultural loss occurred that was recognized by those at the time who were in it for the sport as opposed to the money.

So there you go.... this all happened decades ago way before this talk of electric racing cars...
I love the sound of an engine, but also racing is racing.
I like the Tour de France, Grand National and olympic track running...
They might even find the sport opening up more to other areas which were never targeted before, because "man drive car..ugg ugg"

It isn't to thrill you, it is to develop and sell electric cars to the folks who matter, which isn't you as you will most likely be dead by then..

Is it really selling cars though? I mean even if I see a manufacturer win a race with a racecar I wouldn't think about it: "surely if this racecar with a decent team could won a race then a streetcar with the same brand will be good as well. There is nothing to compare here and even then racecars could suffer from "random" mechanical failures because of the extreme forces, while a streetcar won't in a lifetime.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 393 40.1%