WTCR: Race of Hungary Discussion Thread

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
WTCR Race of Hungary.jpg

Welcome to the central discussion thread for the 2019 FIA WTCR Race of Hungary.

The FIA World Touring Car Cup resumes this weekend, as the field head over to the popular Hungaroring circuit for the second weekend of racing this season.

Playing host to rounds four, five and six, the Hungarian Grand Prix venue is always popular with the local fans, who often come out in great numbers to support home hero Norbert Michelisz - the local driver hoping to kick start his season for Hyundai after a challenging opening meeting at the crazily tight Marrakesh street circuit last time out.

WTCR: Check out the opening weekend discussion thread HERE

With Hyundai looking to continue their charge from last year, chased closely by an impressive looking Lynk & Co outfit that fields no-less than multiple champions Yvan Muller and Andy Priaulx, plus a fired up Michelisz for Hyundai and a now 10kg lighter VW squad, this is certainly set fair to be another very entertaining weekend of racing for the revitalised WTCR category.

I can't wait!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Basically, yes. But , and allow me to be pedantic, you said 'more affordable classes' that compete in different championships. They're not, they are all the same class (TCR), which by it's nature, is designed to be affordable.

This is the main draw of the TCR regs for me. I think there's been/is better looking Touring cars but this formula is quickly becoming a global standard for many national (and regional) Touring series.

The way the regs are set (and as far as I'm aware) it's really easy to jump from one series to the next with these.

All 64 cars in that pic should be eligible to run in the WTCR if the grids weren't limited and a venue could facilitate them. It's not just a cool pic because they've gathered 64 cars racing that weekend.

The same cars that are powering the World series trickle down to all the national series. That seems like a fantastic ladder for teams and drivers prove themselves and to work their way to the (tin) top.

----

On another topic, after getting excited that the BBC appeared to be covering this years Championship, it sadly seems the deal was only for the first weekend.

I'll try to keep up with it if I can find a stream or highlights. Looks like TCR Europe are streaming their races at least.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 302 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 211 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 153 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.6%