RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having problems finding any grip and there is some nasty turns on the track.
The cars each have their own handling quirks so it's worth testing a few of them to find which suits you best. (Says the guy who chooses the Cupra based solely on the fact that it's been "tradition" to drive Seats in online touring car races since Race 07!)

Other than that, focus on technique. These cars are FWD so it doesn't take much overdriving to result in loss of traction and massive understeer. Also, the lack of weight on the rear means it can also get loose when you release the throttle, resulting in lift-off oversteer.

Try to brake earlier and get all the braking done before you turn in. It may feel "slower" but it really isn't, because good turn in and a smooth line will make you faster on the exit. (Remember: Slow in, fast out.) Trail braking can also work well in these cars. Don't hit the throttle too early before the exit as it will just result in more understeer and push you wide. When you do get on the power, make it smooth and don't stamp on the throttle.

(As an aside, it is possible to use extreme steering angles and power in a FWD car to "drag" your way around corners. However, the drivers who use this method are usually the same ones moaning about the physics being "broken", because their tyres are constantly red hot and disintegrating after three laps.)

To keep the rear in check, you simply never come off the throttle. When braking and cornering, always keep a tiny bit of throttle applied as it will help stabilise the car and prevent the rear coming around. You may be able to use the new engine braking setting in the setup screen to do this for you, but I haven't tried that in the WTCRs yet as I'm so used to doing it myself.

Apologies if any of these tips are obvious, but I don't know your level of sim racing experience yet! :)

That's, great. Thank you for your help.

I've been pretty much experimenting with everything you have suggested, so I must be doing something right, just need to practice.

I like the fact you guys allow tuning meaning I can tune it to my liking.

I like the fact you guys allow tuning meaning I can tune it to my liking.
Yeah, I think allowing tuning is essential to a happy racing club to be honest. Humans being humans, we all have our own way of doing things and that includes our driving styles. R3E default setups are generally a good starting point for many (I rarely change anything other than brakes), but wont suit everyone. Forcing limitations on people beyond those imposed by the car itself and general racing rules will just push people away in the long run.

Honda Civic - the rev limiter in the 2018 version is shorter (7.000rpm/7.500rpm). Lower top speed and have to shift gears "earlier"...
so they drive a bit different (mainly the shifting)

Last edited:
I'm skipping this one guys, I'm not the biggest fan of FWD, sorry :)

I am a fan of one of the biggest FWD. :laugh:
Toro_007s.jpg

Rofl, were Toronado's FWD's? :O_o:
Yes they are. 1966 was the first year, mine are 1967. 425 cid V8, 385 HP 480 lb-ft, ~4500 lb curb weight.
Bought my first one in 1974, got a lot of confused looks when doing a burnout as the Olds Toronado and Cadillac Eldorado were about the only FWD cars in the US and not many people knew they were FWD or what FWD was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.5%