WTCC 2017 - New Regs, New Cars, Old Tracks and the Joker Lap...

in the 90s wtcc was at its best with some of the best drivers.now the best drivers want to drive in the most competative championships of gt3 and i dont blame them.its a huge boost for their careers and who doesn t want to drive those supercars of every factory.

WTCC did kill themselves when they introduces this TC1 spec cars. They are just horrible expensive. So not really something for a privateer driver. A chassis already costs 400.000 euro. Than you still need to lease an engine. You can buy four TCR cars for that price, which are almost identical of speed and have an engine than to. Or you could buy a nice new GT3 car to of that price.

The reason why the WTCC still exists, is because it has goodwill from the past, the name WTCC is familair and also the driver names are recognizable with Muller, Tarquini, Coronel, Thompson, Monteiro, Lopez, Michelisz, Huff etc. A lot of fan favourites from local areas of from the past.

At the moment I already don't understand what a privateer does do in the WTCC than just throwing away money.

In my opinion the WTCC can only do one thing, is change of technical regulations. They need more cheaper and less advanced/aero cars. Why was SuperTouring and S2000 fun? Cars were cheaper, simple, lot of grip, almost no aero = close racing and good grids.

I have been an avid follower of all Touring car racing since the early 90s. It comes in waves. The WTCC will be fine as long as the FIA can stop letting manufacturers buy championships. The BTCC is coming back into a great era again and could be huge if people outside of the UK could watch it. I was unsure about TCR but with the exception of stupid Macau every race this year was hard fought and killer. I actually hope WTCC does not add the TCR class as I am afraid it will dilute the TCR. Its funny when guys say these new cars are too expensive and overbuilt they should get back to its glory days like in the 90s. Those super touring days were insane! Teams were spending F1 budgets back then. Carbon fiber everything. All that said, can't wait for the new tire on AC BTCC mods.

Like FIA killed the DTM by taking over it with its stupid ITC in the 90s, FIA is killing the WTCC slowly for the last 3-5 years.

Personally I stopped watching WTCC about 5 years ago. It is not attractive. Boring. Dead.

As long as you keep racing on ridiculous tracks like marrakech it will keep failing to impress. Take an example of btcc: tracks where you can overtake, ok they re not in the middle of some big city, but i don't care bout that. The cars, although way too expensive, i like them more than those gt3 supercars.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back