Wrong PP Filter setting will cause acs.exe to crash

Hi,

if you´re like me trying to get the best visual experience from AC possible you probably tried the various picture enhancer mods from our mod section. Eventually you´ve experienced by fiddling around with these mods that you cannot run acs.exe anymore because it stopped responding.
I was having this issue a couple of times and was told to delete the Assetto Corsa folder under documents and settings which fixes the problem.
Now you will loose all your custom settings and history but at least acs.exe was running again.
So long story short I was trying to get down to the problem and found out that if in the video.ini a PP filter is set which doesn´t exist anymore (in my case removing a mod and its PP Filters) acs.exe will crash.
For example if you had Bernd Graf´s Mr.Alpem mod installed and left the PP Filter on HDR bright in the game and close it and delete the mod the above will happen.
The file video.ini under documents and settings still points to the file HDR bright.ini which doesn´t exist anymore and will cause acs.exe to crash.
Open video.ini under documents and set it back to "default" and it should work again.

Honestly I find it pretty hilarious that this could lead to an application crash. My guess was that if it doesn´t find the PP Filter that is set in the video.ini it would revert back to default, but I would be wrong :thumbsdown:

cheers

Thanks for posting about this problem. I ended up with the same issue of ac.exe crashing and was on the verge of reinstalling AC, but decided to check this forum first and I'm glad that I did. Again it was the case of the PP Filter pointing to a no longer existing option and re-setting it to 'default' solved the problem.

Thanks again,

Mike

No need to delete the whole folder from Documents, but only delete or move from documents/ac/cfg/ppfilters, over to steam/steamapps/common/assetto corsa/system/cfg/ppfilters. This is the valid place for the pp filters. And yes, like Bandred, putting it to default will also solve it.

I've actually had to turn of all pp to get rid of the too-white problem ('cos of a problem with sli, I think)
You can do an experiment to see if deleting some files/folders, and then verifying game cache integrity, and then while using sli and pp effects on, the over brightness gets fixed.

So delete the whole CFG folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg

And from here C:\Users\QUF\Documents\Assetto Corsa\cfg delete the video.ini file and pp filters folder.

Now run integrity check in steam library game list - properties of AC - local files tab. Then check in game how it is with pp filters on and set to Default filter. When you do the integrity check, all files edited will be reverted to original values, so if you changed something in assetto_corsa.ini, audio.ini, graphics.ini then you need to edit back.

The whole problem will only appear if you had custom PP Filters applied which you now have deleted and they are still set in the PP Filter settings of the game. You can get rid of the crash behaviour either with setting PP Filter to default ingame or edit your video.ini in documents & settings folder to "Filter=default".

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 209 14.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 213 14.4%