Wreckfest Survey Results Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Wreckfest Survey Results 3.jpg

Bugbear Entertainment have released the results from the recent Next Car Game Wreckfest survey, with some interesting responses...

Back in early December Bugbear launched a fan survey for their current PC and soon to be console destruction derby style racing game Wreckfest, asking fans what they would consider key development priorities should be as the team ramp up work as the game pushed towards a version one release.

Wreckfest has in my opinion considerable potential to become a bit of a classic title, with just the right amount of realism and fun factor to allow the game appeal to both arcade players and simulation drivers alike. With good graphics, entertaining physics and the thrill of a big race accident, Wreckfest by all rights should really be scaling the heights of the racing game charts by now, especially considering it has been out in one form or another since back in 2014. Unfortunately for various reasons development has been slow to pick up pace in the last few years, and to help the team decide where best to focus resources Bugbear released a fan survey, asking the gamers exactly what they wanted the priorities to be over the remainder of the year. Thousands of people responded, many of who frequent the forums here at RaceDepartment, and now Bugbear have presented us with the results.

You can check out the full list of survey results HERE.

Unsurprisingly it looks like Wreckfest fans are keen to see a structured career mode within the game, with 2040 votes (68.3% of respondents) cast in favour of this option when responding to the "Of the following features, we should prioritize" question. This figure is backed up by the surprisingly large 66% majority voting for a preference to single player offline racing and 47.9% claiming a lack of career progression is preventing them from playing the title more often.

One of the most surprising results for me can be found in the question asking for a most favoured peripheral choice in game, with wheel users languishing behind their controller playing counterparts 26.6% to 51.3% in favour of a controller. Even keyboard players receive some love in the results, with 21.1% of 2985 responses admitting to using a keyboard as the preferred method of control in game.

All in all it is refreshing to see a modern game developer engaging in the community and taking on feedback when planning further development with a game. I hope this is the beginning of a big push by Bugbear to bring the title up to scratch and make the most of the obvious potential just sitting there waiting to be realised.

Next Car Game Wreckfest is available for Windows PC right now. A proposed console release is due sometime during 2017.

Wreckfest Survey Results 4.jpg
Wreckfest Survey Results.jpg
Wreckfest Survey Results 2.jpg

Check out the Wreckfest sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news, discussions and mods for this exciting no holes barred destruction derby style game. Head over and get involved in the conversation today!

Did you vote in the survey? Are you surprised by the results or are they broadly what you expected? What would you like to see developed in Wreckfest going forward? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Back in the days, that modern people dont have now any clue because all is handed to them, it was called a challenge what relates to this that you have to look out your car. I dont know when that day comes that modern people starts to having thoughs why they think everything is boring. BECAUSE NO CHALLENGE, in games press this to do that and that and climb here and jump here and blaablaablaa... And here. Drive and smash... Drive and smash... Soon, oh this is boring, all the same. But when added challenge like taking care of your car. WHY THIS IS HERE? BOOOOOO!!! I cannot understand... :thumbsdown:

yeah, Not at all what I was getting at. It simply doesn't fit in with the game. The entire premise is your car gets destroyed during the course of a race. Micro-management of minor repairs makes no sense at all when the car is written off and then resurrected with every race..

What tells me the most is 20% think its too simulation, while 20% think its too arcade... shows how all these developers have to take a lot of complaining with a pinch of salt... and make what most people want, not the small (often vocal) few...

yeah, Not at all what I was getting at. It simply doesn't fit in with the game. The entire premise is your car gets destroyed during the course of a race. Micro-management of minor repairs makes no sense at all when the car is written off and then resurrected with every race..
Its because we are talking about a game, it cannot be like real-life that after every race you got to buy a new car every single time, no one would not play it after that. But with this it is mimicin the real life, balancing between reality and close to real gameplay is a fine line. Its like we have so called Jokkis here, after the race the cars are beaten up but in the next race they are in again. Looting parts from friends and junkyards etc. with very cheap price. How the game is doing this, it is gamevisely close to that.

It was sarcasm motivated by the pointless statement of yours that we are talking about a game. The point of it was to back out of a conversation that wasn't worth engaging in while being slightly dismissive.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 339 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 172 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.4%