Wreckfest | New Update Free Tracks and Plenty of Improvements

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
A new update has been released for the console and PC versions of Wreckfest - with plenty of content and improvements included...

Yes, December is very much month of racing game updates, and now it is the turn of Wreckfest to eat up that all-important fair usage internet download policy - releasing a mammoth new update that brings new tracks, and one or two nice feature enhancements to this continually improving and evolving title.

Deployed on December 17th for Xbox One, PS4 and PC versions of the game, the Wreckfest 'December Update' release adds two brand new tracks to the title - the Hellride and Vale Falls circuits. Both tracks are free content additions for owners of the game, and both provide a nice mix of high speed racing alongside the ever present threat of jeopardy - just like a good Wreckfest track should!

Other highlights from the new build include a number of useful gameplay enhancements - not least of which is the addition of car customisation in multiplayer games, and (at long last) - track voting!

You can check out the new update notes below:

CONTENT
  • Added two new tracks: Hellride & Vale Falls Circuit
  • Added support for DLC Modified Monsters Car Pack
MULTIPLAYER
  • (XB1/PS4) Users can create a public lobby which is visible in the server browser for everyone and has a maximum cap of 16 players
  • It’s now possible to change (and purchase) vehicle upgrades and paint job directly in the lobby
  • Implemented track voting. If voting is enabled, clients vote on the next event after they’re back in the lobby after event results, choosing from previous event again, or one of two other events from the current rotation
  • Improved prediction precision of suspension geometry and steering, enhancing gameplay experience especially with high latency
  • (PC) Voting can be enabled and disabled in the server config (please see the example config for more information)
  • (PC) A dedicated server can be now excluded from being joined by users entering Quick Match by using “exclude_from_quickplay=0” server setting
  • (PC) Client is no longer kicked out of multiplayer when connection to Steam is lost
GAMEPLAY
  • Ragdolling no longer results in the player being wrecked; instead, the ragdoll can be reset back in the vehicle by using the reset button
  • A vehicle that has just been reset is now visualized in ghost mode
  • Limousine car is now slightly weaker
  • Chase camera now avoid clipping into vehicles and zooms closer whenever a vehicle is right behind the player to make sure the view is not obstructed
  • Camera no longer snaps into a position due to a bottom collision to the car
  • Transitioning into and out of camera look-around mode is now seamless
  • Backfire pop now works on AI and remote cars as well
  • The wheels from Steel & Wheels DLC now have correct physical properties including mass
  • The window bars from Steel & Wheel DLC are now correctly hidden when using the cockpit camera
  • Roadslayer window mesh now has the correct weight
  • Improved Sofa Car handling
USER INTERFACE
  • Reset button key is now correctly hidden while holding reset button.
  • High ping warning message is no longer stuck on the screen after leaving multiplayer.
  • Quit prompt is now correct cleared after the event starts in case it was open in lobby.
  • Added a slight delay to the end of the Last Man Standing so that’s it not as abrupt.
SYSTEM
  • Various stability and performance improvements.
  • On Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, the title automatically renders in 4K or HD resolution depending on the resolution of the attached display.
  • The game no longer sporadically crashes to “Out of Index Buffer Memory” during multiplayer.
  • The game no longer crashes when equipping “Racing Wing” on the Warwagon while trunk lid has been removed by another upgrade.
  • (XB1) Steering wheels are now correctly reactivated, making it unnecessary to unplug the device and then plug it back in.
  • (PC) The game no longer crashes to “Could not open file for writing: save/settings.conf” when settings file is invalid.
  • (PC) The game no longer crashes upon launching when certain input devices are plugged in.
  • Implemented wheel hub collisions.

Wreckfest is available now on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

Want to know something specific about the game? Pop a thread together in the Wreckfest Sub Forum and let the community be your guide!

Wreckfest Update 1.jpg
Wreckfest Update 2.jpg

I've been considering this and honestly I think I'm coming to the conclusion that Wreckfest is going to be my game of the year. But it's tight - every time I think Wreckfest is going to win, ACC is coming up with some genius stuff - 2 completely different games in the genre, but both extremely fun and satisfying for different reasons.

Can I have two games of the year? Sure I can, I make the rules when it comes to my opinions.

Where have you been it has been out for years and I still believe the early releases were much more fun than the console anchored latest releases. The AI used be hilarious.

Where have you been it has been out for years and I still believe the early releases were much more fun than the console anchored latest releases. The AI used be hilarious.

Well up until very recently I was "console anchored" myself, and given that Wreckfest was only released this year on console I can technically claim it as GOTY if you take it that GOTY can only be awarded to games released that year, and that I originally bought it on console.

Truth is, however, that my GOTY contenders tend to be games which I've discovered during that year, and not necessarily released in that given year. I honestly I think this is fairer from my perspective as it represents my personal gaming experience throughout the year, and as I stated earlier on this thread - my opinions, my rules ;)

Hey guys! I am really thinking about getting this one! Would you recommend playing with wheel or gamepad? How's the FFB & physics? Thanks for any info :)
Best semi-realistic experience with the steering wheel. IMO.
Definitely the best semi-realistic derby experience))
(An old FFB profile should be applied as a mod through steam workshop)
Agree 100% with Kompressor, Peter...it's the best semi-realistic experience with a steering wheel and I personally add an extra challenge by driving in Cockpit / Bonnet Cam and using H-Pattern with Clutch and pulling on the Handbrake, very satisfying when / if I get is right:inlove::thumbsup:
See 'Post #8' above for my Rig set up.

In Multiplayer I raced against the Venom and asked where can you get this...Answer: in the 'Career' mode last challenge (that's typical:rolleyes:, couldn't just buy it)...anyway is was a long road but I finally got it...Holy Cow, this car is fast:geek::inlove::thumbsup:...a fantastic prize and well worth the effort
Screen shots below of my tricked out Venom:inlove::D
1 WRECKFEST VENOM World Masters web.jpg
2 WRECKFEST VENOM web.jpg
2a WRECKFEST VENOM web.jpg
4 WRECKFEST VENOM web.jpg

3 WRECKFEST VENOM web.jpg

Last edited:
Look up the original FFB in the Workshop if you want something closer to a sim experience. The devs replaced it with what I can only assume is a more console-friendly version when consoles were added. Lots of grumbling from PC users, so the original was put on the Workshop as a mod (that does not cause any issues online).

That sounds like exactly what I need - but I can't find it in the Steam workshop. Do you know what the mod is called please?

EDIT - don't worry, I found it. But it doesn't seem to have helped much. Still can't get the old feel back on my Fanatec CSL Elite. Such a shame, as I used to love Wreckfest but it feels terrible now :(

Last edited:
EDIT - don't worry, I found it. But it doesn't seem to have helped much. Still can't get the old feel back on my Fanatec CSL Elite. Such a shame, as I used to love Wreckfest but it feels terrible now
That's disappointing to here:(...and although I have not tried the original FFB files yet I am happy with what they have at the moment for my TSXW, after all as a Hardcore Sim Racer myself I know it's not really a Sim so I do not expect it to feel like one and I would be in the minority of players that play Wreckfest so I suspect the FFB has changed for the majority of players who are possibly Gamepad / Console users....personal opinion of course;)
...but it is very entertaining as a side racer amongst all my serious Sims the way it is.:thumbsup::D

• It’s now possible to change (and purchase) vehicle upgrades and paint job directly in the lobby
This is a long-awaited way to address the restriction on owning only one car per type. You couldn't swap engines in the lobby before, but now if you own multiple engines, you can change it so you comply with the server's class restrictions or just because you want a different class version of that car. Excellent addition along with the many other ongoing updates this title has received.

Ooops, they implemented it in a dumb way. The car selection screen needs to show you every car you own that has the option of operating within the class restriction of the server, not just the ones that are currently equipped/"upgraded" to that status.

For example, I am playing on a server with Class C restriction. I own a vehicle with a base engine that is Class C, but the last time I used it I configured it for Class B (different server). It will not show as an option (that I would then have to "Upgrade") because it is not currently Class C. You have to exit completely out of the server, etc. as before. It only works under one scenario--if the server you are on has no class restriction and you want to upgrade one of your vehicles.

I hope they fix this in the next update because the concept of being able to use what you already own in multiplayer without exiting back to the garage and upgrades screens (poorly implemented also) is great. It just needs to filter by what you own instead of what is currently configured in your garage of personal vehicles.

It's working superbly on Xbox One too. We had some truly laugh out loud moments in our first private lobby with a few AI cars thrown in to make up the numbers. The updated handling is great fun too, the cars really squeal the tyres as they lean on dodgy old suspension on the tarmac and then dig in and bog down on the loose surfaces.

I gently nudged my good friend's car through the first corner and somehow sent him flying off the track. He says I was flat out, wiped him out on purpose and that I was going so fast I'd never have made the corner. All nonsense, of course, I know I'd easily have made the corner even without the gentle tap, at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Great to have such a fun game where the actual aim is to drive like most public lobby racing games!
Brakes are not required if there are any cars in front of you! :roflmao:

As a person who is only setup for VR, this is one title that makes me want a screen setup so I can play too.
VR myself. Try Virtual Desktop or something like that, any tool copying the desktop into the headset. I added the Cineplexx mod to Virtual desktop, and now sit in a virtual cinema and play Wreckfets on a megahuge screen before my eyes.

Its not stereoscopic 3D (the cinemais, the action on the moviescreen is not) , but the screen size alone already makes a difference. A huge difference. I did not recognise the game and was able for the first time ever to really appreciate the beauty of the environments . The difference is like between watching Star Wars on TV, or in a cinema.

Just bought this and I must say the very first career stage ,the buggy destruction derby is woeful,does not come remotely close to capturing the fun of the original Destruction Derby on PS1 but the later racing stage is great.

Are the later Destruction Derby stages with better cars that bad?

I bought this game for a christmas present to my niece. I also played it quite a lot during the holidays. Really fun game with all the different kind of tracks and cars and I like the fact how you can get better cars and build up the cars as you play the game.. :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 191 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.8%