Wreckfest: Mini Maps Are Coming...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Wreckfest Mini Map Update .jpg

Bugbear Entertainment have done a little more teasing of the next big build update - showcasing the inclusion of mini maps to the title!

Ok I will admit, this isn't the most exciting piece of news in the whole world, and probably won't significantly change the gaming experience for existing players of the title, but the inclusion of the often requested track mini maps within the game is a very welcome step in the right direction for Bugbear Entertainment - another very welcome step forward as the studio look to push on to a full version release on PC and console later this year.

Bugbear have already confirmed significant performance improvements are coming to the title as part of the next build, and alongside this and the inclusion of track map functionality, Wreckfest continues to go from strength to strength..

Full blog post release:

Howdy all,

Here's a quick question for you (and it's not a trick one): What's that one obvious thing that Wreckfest has been missing compared to other racing games? That's right, a minimap! And by that, we mean the little overhead presentation of the track, complete with cute little dots showing your car as well as the other cars, all neatly tucked away in one of the corners of the screen on your HUD.

A minimap is something that's long been our to-do list, not only because it's pretty awesome but also because it has quite a few benefits. For starters, it makes it much easier for newcomers to get up to speed and start racing properly, obviously so because it removes the need to keep guessing where the next turn is and which way the track is going. Also, and this is a big one, for Wreckfest in particular it's extremely useful during demolition events because you can use it to quickly glance where your opponents are, removing the need to drive in circles especially during the latter stages of the match, looking for the remaining cars, all while possibly risking triggering the dreaded contact timer.

This being the case, we thought it would be a high time we added one so that' what we did!

Here's our minimap in all its glory:
Wreckfest Mini Map Update .jpg

Wreckfest Mini Map Closer Look.png

We're still working with the some bits like finalizing the HUD layout, minimap size as well as figuring out how much further ahead to show the track but we wanted to already give you a sneak peek since for the most part, the minimap already functioning like a proper one should, doing a fab job at showing the next stretches of the track and the other cars. It also rotates according to your direction of travel, so up is always forward, and zooms according to your speed, meaning that the faster you're going the further away the view is. This works well especially in larger demolition arenas, in so that when you're rolling ahead slowly you can clearly see the cars in the immediate vicinity and when increasing speed, the whole arena comes into the view. Like alluded to earlier, the distant sections of the track are faded away.

Here's another sneak peek, this time in demo derby:

Wreckfest Mini Map Update 2.jpg
Wreckfest Mini Map Closer Look 2.jpg

As you probably already guessed, those gray dots are poor souls that have been already wrecked.

We also found out that having a minimap definitely makes playing a more exciting experience. For one thing, it obviously makes it easier to target your rivals and evade their hits during demolition events, or dodge those clever whippersnappers going the wrong way with a school bus. Besides, when playing catch-up during racing events it's fun to glance at the minimap to see whether you're catching up or whether you need to step up. What's even more fun is seeing the leader go off the track or even come to a completely halt, meaning that they crashed! Good times.

Oh, and one final note to our content creators: The minimap is being generated run-time from the track data, so as long as your sector data is more or less legit the minimap should work straight out of the box even for your custom tracks.

The minimap will be part of the next update of the game, and we can't wait until you folks get to try it out. That's all for now but see you the next time for more exciting progress reports on what we have in store for you!

Wreckfest is available now for PC, with console versions to follow later in the year.

Check out our Wreckfest sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the news and chat around this awesome game, and also our newly refreshed and restarted Wreckfest Racing Club! Join in the online shenanigans and have yourself some fun!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I've heard there's no better way to spend the time waiting for the new update than to join the Wreckfest Racing Club. We are re-starting the club next Wednesday, join us here!

I'm personally not a fan of minimaps in any game so I hope there will be an option to disable it :)

I guess they've started working on another title, but kinda wish they continued on this one for a little more.
The physics feels much more natural and enjoyable than you know what, but the tracks - I wish there were more Jokkis-alike tracks, with mixed tarmac/gravel, more variable corner widths, cambers etc.
Or a proper Rally title with this engine and physics, ohh it would be a king.

• Deleted member 197115

I guess they've started working on another title, but kinda wish they continued on this one for a little more.
The physics feels much more natural and enjoyable than you know what, but the tracks - I wish there were more Jokkis-alike tracks, with mixed tarmac/gravel, more variable corner widths, cambers etc.
Or a proper Rally title with this engine and physics, ohh it would be a king.
Or tracks from FlatOut. FFB and physics beat DR 2 hands down.

About wreckfest physics:
I love it and it is very believable with tarmac gaining a lot of grip etc but the front wheel have way too much grip in general. Drive 100 kph, turn the wheel further and further and the car will start to drift without much power given to the rear wheels? Absolutely not. It would just understeer.
So while it is awesomely done in itself, it has not much to do with the reality. Reducing the front axle grip though one could just do a rally simcade like dirt rally. Totally agree!

Good for them who likes stuff like this but hopefully it can be disabled, I don't want more crap on to my screen.
Agree. And I wish the HUD was a bit more customizable. Meaning, each element with separate on/off toggle, instead of "take it or leave it" choice.

I'd probably have just laps and position. I'm using H-shifter and clutch, I pretty much know what gear I'm on and RPM, well... I'll just listen. While admittedly in the middle of a 24 car carnage, it can take some effort to hear. HUD elements tend to reduce immersion, the less there is the better

Knowing "Health" of other cars can be useful in some gamemodes, but even for that I'd prefer to have just option to see their health as a number between 0-100, after their name. Or even without the name, just a number. Kind of optional HUD nametags. Names with bars, names with number, just a number, off.

Currently I keep them mostly totally off, the game just looks better that way.

Last edited:
About wreckfest physics:
I love it and it is very believable with tarmac gaining a lot of grip etc but the front wheel have way too much grip in general. Drive 100 kph, turn the wheel further and further and the car will start to drift without much power given to the rear wheels? Absolutely not. It would just understeer.
So while it is awesomely done in itself, it has not much to do with the reality. Reducing the front axle grip though one could just do a rally simcade like dirt rally. Totally agree!
I agree, but partly that happens because Jokkis cars are set up to have a lot of bite in the front. Still agree about extreme causes, where understeer would be inevitable.
Still tho, compare it with 2.0, where all cars, even FWD just slide around it's center axle, and where even on the tarmac the steering has some latency, like there is a play somewhere in the steering column... especially compare FWD cars, with FWD in Wreckfest... I would say that maybe even if some values in Wreckfest can be more realistic, the whole way the handling behaves is just rock-solid natural. And also there's the way the physics work outside driving with 4 wheels staying on the road, which happens in rally a lot, since there are some ditches and cliffs that are often hit while going through the stage, it's again more naturally made in Wreckfest, both the car handling during that, and car damage... 2.0 has a lot of weirdness once the wheels touch something outside the road.

Last edited:
I agree, but partly that happens because Jokkis cars are set up to have a lot of bite in the front. Still agree about extreme causes, where understeer would be inevitable.
Still tho, compare it with 2.0, where all cars, even FWD just slide around it's center axle, and where even on the tarmac the steering has some latency, like there is a play somewhere in the steering column... especially compare FWD cars, with FWD in Wreckfest... I would say that maybe even if some values in Wreckfest can be more realistic, the whole way the handling behaves is just rock-solid natural.
Wreckfest just absolutely nailed the border between extremely easy to drive, extreme fun to drive and absolute natural feeling.
I didn't come across one single person that could NOT just jump into Wreckfest with a wheel and enjoy the drive. Drift, spin, drive cleanly. It's all there!
I'd love for Wreckfest to implement some proper racing actually. With practice, Qualy, no points for ramming and actual racing.
I know some groups already do this and imo it would be awesome fun as other than in Assetto Corsa and the likes, you can really fight and scrub through corners.
And, very important, the fastest way around a track is to actually not just drift but trailbrake controlled up to the apex and then do a little, slight drift on the exit!

Wreckfest just absolutely nailed the border between extremely easy to drive, extreme fun to drive and absolute natural feeling.
I didn't come across one single person that could NOT just jump into Wreckfest with a wheel and enjoy the drive. Drift, spin, drive cleanly. It's all there!
I'd love for Wreckfest to implement some proper racing actually. With practice, Qualy, no points for ramming and actual racing.
I know some groups already do this and imo it would be awesome fun as other than in Assetto Corsa and the likes, you can really fight and scrub through corners.
And, very important, the fastest way around a track is to actually not just drift but trailbrake controlled up to the apex and then do a little, slight drift on the exit!
Yes, every time i play it, I wish they turned it into proper Jokkis sim, with all the rules that come with it. Would be so much more fun and replay value IMO. Especially if there were more realistic jokkis tracks, and weather.

I love Wreckfest, I wasn't keen on it in early access and barely touched it but they really turned it round for the release, My go to game when i just want to smash things up and have a laugh!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 83 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 66 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 14.2%