Wreckfest Major December Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Wreckfest December Update Released.jpg

The major new Wreckfest update is here!

Available immediately via Steam, the new build brings with it a whole host of exciting new content and feature improvements to one of the most under rated racing games available today.

New build highlights will undoubtedly centre around the eight new vehicles coming to the racing title, adding some much needed variety to the game as the developers focus on some of the more traditional models found in folk racing and banger style sport seen nationally around the world. From big estate versions of cars not dissimilar in looks to a Volvo to smaller (sort of) classic American machines, the new cars added to the game today are something much needed in recent months and should make a considerable difference to the playing experience.

Other highlights that stand out against the packed new update include a significant improvement to range tracks previously featured in Wreckfest. Gone are the 'work in progress' builds in place of what can only be described as some very impressive and immersive locations, and all are pretty much fully deformable too!!!

Ok enough of the chitter chatter, check out the changelog post from Bugbear below...

IMPORTANT!
If the game is not launching after updating and instead crashes to "FATAL DISK ERROR", please try these steps:

- First of all, please verify the integrity of the game cache to make sure the game is correctly installed. Also, please remove the user data generated by the previous game versions by navigating to [STEAM INSTALLATION FOLDER]/userdata/[USER ID]/228380/local and removing the folder labeled 'wreckfest early access'. The default Steam installation folder is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam'.

- Right click Wreckfest in your Steam Library > Properties > General > Set launch options, input "-disable_mods" without quotes.

- If that doesn't help, remove c:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\[User ID]\228380\local\wreckfest early access\modlist.mods file and try again.

Dear Wreckers,

We're excited to let you know that the highly-anticipated December Update for Wreckfest is available on Steam!

This update represents a significant step towards the final release of the game, and what that means in practice is that this update contains a plenty of new as well as polished content and features in addition to a host of other improvements, the highlights being:

EIGHT NEW CARS
That's right – eight completely new cars, including our first ever front-wheel-drive cars, classic bangers, demolition derby heavy-hitters as well as something pretty unique! In addition to the new cars, many old cars have been refreshed.

PREVIEW OF THE CAREER
Two championships with many themed series – battle for championship points and earn experience, increase your rank and unlock new parts and cars! This preview is just a taste of things to come, with more varied series and challenges being introduced later on.

PERFORMANCE OPTIMIZATIONS
Better performance thanks to the new LOD (Level of Detail) models for all vehicles, optimized grass performance and collisions with dynamic objects, improved V-Sync for smoother framerate.

POLISHED TRACKS
Say goodbye to the old work-in-progress tracks.

PAINT CUSTOMIZATION
Customize your car with a variety of paints and liveries, also supported over multiplayer.

MECHANICAL DAMAGE
Engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes and wheels can get damaged in crashes, resulting in performance degradation. And yes, wheels now get torn off too!

VEHICLE TUNING
Adjust suspension stiffness, differential type, brake bias and gear ratio to suit your style or the track, even between every race – also in multiplayer lobby.

GAME MUSIC
Songs from the Audiodraft game music contest that you voted for are in!

AUDIO IMPROVEMENTS
Unique engine sounds for all cars, most completely new, as well as better situational audio, new spatial effects and improved countdown behaviour.

NEW, ENHANCED HUD AND USER INTERFACE IMPROVEMENTS
All-new, more modern HUD. New main menu and some cool neat functionality such as car icons that update automatically.

BETTER AI WITH ADJUSTABLE DIFFICULTY
Increased awareness and more variation in the driver profiles with some racing cleaner and some being more prone to making mistakes, as well as a difficulty setting that can be adjusted to your preference – try beating it on hard difficulty!

RIVALS
New work-in-progress feature: someone can become your rival by crashing into you, and you can earn bonus score by showing them who's the boss.

IMPROVED CRASHES
Crashes feel more vigorous than ever, and visual damage is improved.

ENHANCED VEHICLE PHYSICS AND CONTROLLER
Improved tire model as well as suspension physics and updated controller implementation for better handling and easier playing with a gamepad or a keyboard. Don't forget to test different assist combinations to find something you like - with no assists the game is meant to be more authentic experience especially with a steering wheel, while with full helpers you can simply pick up the pad and let it rip!

MANUAL CLUTCH
For the ultimate immersion – you asked for it, and here it is!

And those are only the highlights: the update contains plenty of other goodies, some more significant and some more minor, but we invite you to take a look yourself. These couple of last months have been hectic for us, and we hope you'll enjoy the update. There are still many little bits and pieces missing as you'll no doubt notice, but we were hell-bent on getting this update out so that you can already have a chance to check out what we've been working on and give us feedback that we can then use to fine-tune whatever you feel is wrong or off. In other words, don't forget to let us know what you think!

Wreckfest is available for PC with console versions due to release during 2018.

Check out the Wreckfest Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the sim. For added excitement we have a very interesting sounding racing club on its way... check out the info here.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Have you tried the new update yet? What are your impressions? Enjoying the game so far? Looking for some "smashing" fun in our online racing club? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Can you do the 2 hour thing and get a refund if its not, but please tell us if it is and how it works,
Hope to see you on track soon for some wrecking and racing...;)

Steam Christmas sale is coming up...:whistling::whistling:

Steam told me off last time I got a refund because apparently I have asked for too many lol. But yea check the video I have just posted, it shows that it works but when I get it myself I'll let you know how well it works.

One annoyance that still persists is the Magnet of the Human player against AI, when in a Demolition Derby in a Stadium the AI are fixated on getting you and you alone. Instead they need to be battling each other more to spread the gameplay out a bit, otherwise they all race towards you and you're stuck in the middle of the pack time after time which becomes boring. Unfortunately the only way to "get out" and do some proper banging is to Reset and appear somewhere quieter in the Arena.

Mouse is not visible in the menus . . . WTF. Also, driving view is from outside the right side window of the car, facing the driver . . . useless. No idea where to even start trying to fix this if it's on my end. Seems buggy as hell.

Mouse is not visible in the menus . . . WTF. Also, driving view is from outside the right side window of the car, facing the driver . . . useless. No idea where to even start trying to fix this if it's on my end. Seems buggy as hell.

have you got it working..
have you a single wheel configuration( wheel peddles shifter) all in one usb (logitech, thrustmaster) or is it multiple inputs from different brands..
i have the later and had the same kind of fun.. but now its good and working fine..

So, some cockpit seat adjustment would be nice.

wreckfest cockpit.jpg

Having the default seat position outside of the car was enough to give me a headache. Get some damage and you are royally screwed :p

My game runs at around 90fps and doesn't seem to fluctuate... BUT... It doesn't seem smooth at all. Anyone else have this

Performance isnt great for me and has never been great in this game. Some tracks really stutter a lot and clearly arent optimized well, while others are decent. I often get between 50-250 fps when Im alone on track, which is quite interesting :p

Some tracks though I can get a solid ~100 fps with ~20 AI and it does feel smooth.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 205 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 111 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 210 14.3%