Wreckfest is BRUTAL

I put a bit of time in online, gave as good as I got, recorded it, edited it, added some silly music and came up with this.

I quite like it, and I think it reflects the mentality of the utterly brutal people who play Wreckfest online.

I'm pasting links to it all over the place, just because I think it highlights the fun and humour in the game and hopefully it'll bring a bit of attention the game's way in the week of its release.

An illustration of the too-common lack of distinction between destruction derbies and races. It is a bit humorous for a short time to go mental in a race, but getting randomly taken out of races repeatedly by morons with no driving or racing skills who think it's fun(ny) to do so gets old very quickly.

There are arenas and derbies (and even deathmatch) for that sort of fun. The races are much more fun when people actually try to race to win. Sure there's some rubbin' and bangin' in the process, but still clean racing.

There are only a couple of servers that make this distinction. Most are full of people who couldn't drive a single lap in a racing sim and have no desire to learn anything. Just demolish whatever can be hit most dramatically, regardless if others are trying to race. So if you think the idea of demolition derbies on a race track is fun, this is the title for you. You'll really like the actual demolition derbies, which truly are fun and well executed for what they are.

An illustration of the too-common lack of distinction between destruction derbies and races. It is a bit humorous for a short time to go mental in a race, but getting randomly taken out of races repeatedly by morons with no driving or racing skills who think it's fun(ny) to do so gets old very quickly.

There are arenas and derbies (and even deathmatch) for that sort of fun. The races are much more fun when people actually try to race to win. Sure there's some rubbin' and bangin' in the process, but still clean racing.

There are only a couple of servers that make this distinction. Most are full of people who couldn't drive a single lap in a racing sim and have no desire to learn anything. Just demolish whatever can be hit most dramatically, regardless if others are trying to race. So if you think the idea of demolition derbies on a race track is fun, this is the title for you. You'll really like the actual demolition derbies, which truly are fun and well executed for what they are.

An illustration of the 'play the game the way you want to play it' approach players have to take with this game.

The races are much more fun FOR YOU when people actually try to race to win. The races are much more fun FOR SOME OTHERS when 'takedowns'. barrel rolls, barging and slamming are part of what is given and what is received. Most of these players, myself included, find derbies meaningless, random and dull.

You are right. There are people who enjoy all out destruction and taking each other out on the race track and do find it funny. And it has more longevity to them than you think.

There are racetracks for that kind of fun.

So if you think the idea of demolition derbies on a racetrack is fun, this is the title for you. You'll really like the lobbies that cater for exactly this type of pursuit.

Nobody should be told how to enjoy something they enjoy. If people enjoy smashing each other up in lobbies created specifically for that purpose (and I have done exactly that) then they don't need advice on how to play the game differently.

They like it just the way they're playing it.

Generally the servers are mental, you won't last long people are just there to kill everyone. But there a few who do clean-ish racing taking full advantage of the simcade.

Perhaps this has been your experience on the servers you have joined, but it is not my experience on either the server I run or the servers I join.

There are all kinds of factors that can effect how long cars last in an online race, damage type being a pivotal one.

It's down to you what you make of the game. There are some very good, very well established clean racing servers. I've raced in them from time to time and the usual racers in there are friendly, clean and very, very fast.

In the online lobbies I play in, we race, we smash, we crash and we finish. We're friendly - we chat on a Discord server, we laugh and we enjoy ourselves.

People are not 'just there to kill everyone' and no mean amount of skill is involved.

If those lobbies are not to your taste, and don't suit your playing style, then I hope you find lobbies that are.

But generalising and insulting the skill level and mentality of the players who do enjoy playing the game in the manner that it was perhaps intended to be played is going a bit far.

Last edited:
I've found plenty of hard and fast racing, and if someone is being a menace then generally they are a menace to everyone so its just another challenge to face. I have to say I laughed like hell the first time I hit a cross road flat stick and came across a bus blockade....

Apparently that is lasting fun...

Fun ... but not lasting fun as it turns out.

It got to a point where I was just getting nailed every corner which took a lot of the fun away.

We now have a clean racing server too, which a group of 7-10 of us move over onto once the wild server gets too much.

We restricted the clean server to C class last night which was great for close racing.

Fun ... but not lasting fun as it turns out.

It got to a point where I was just getting nailed every corner which took a lot of the fun away.

We now have a clean racing server too, which a group of 7-10 of us move over onto once the wild server gets too much.

We restricted the clean server to C class last night which was great for close racing.

Exactly my point.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back