Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The game formally known as Next Car Game: Wreckfest will leave Steam Early Access later this month, with a console release date announced too!

Wreckfest has had a long and sometimes rather troubled upbringing these past years, often feeling like it goes out of its way to put off players already hooked by the entertaining gameplay and smooth graphics, so much so that on more than one occasion since it came to Steam Early Access all the way back in 2013 it was written off as a dead title.. however recent months have seen the developers throw considerable resources into shaping Wreckfest into the game we all hoped it would be.. pushing the boundaries of what the initial release offered as the game continued to grow into a very established and fleshed out racing title.

With new investment, new impetus and plenty of new content, Wreckfest is now almost over a finish line that many thought impossible... the game will be leaving Steam Early Access this June 14th!

Not only will the next update add that final polish the game needs alongside "brand new features – new challenge events with crazy new vehicles plus new paint jobs and quirky customization items", but as an added bonus Bugbear Entertainment and Nordic Games have confirmed the promised console version of the title will indeed see the light of day too, with a release date of November 20th for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles! Excellent news!

So that's it folks, a day we doubted would ever come is now right around the corner, and I couldn't be happier to see it happening!

Wreckfest Release Date.jpg

Wreckfest is available for PC Early Access now, with console versions of the title due 20th November 2018.

Check out the Wreckfest Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the sim. For added excitement we have an already immensely popular and exciting Racing Club, details of which can be found here.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Happy to see Wreckfest confirmed for full release later this month? Looking forward to the title on console? What would you like to see added to the game before it is finally considered complete? Let us know in the comments section below!

Happy to see Wreckfest confirmed for full release later this month? Looking forward to the title on console? What would you like to see added to the game before it is finally considered complete?
I am happy to see Wreckfest finally reach full release, but as a hardcore Sim PC only racer the console will not interest me....wish Bugbear every success though as Wreckfest is a superb Sim / Game in my opinion....and I am personally happy with all the content and the way it works and I will be keeping this title on my PC as a side entertainment Sim / Game as opposed to all the other serious Sims I have loaded.

Great to see how this game has progressed through Early Access, it is genuine car based fun.

Wreckfest is a game that truly belongs on console and I'm sure it will sell well there.

An online event that I'd like to see...

RD vs the Great Unwashed.

Set up a server, make it public. Populate around half of it with RD Premium people, communicating on Teamspeak.

Then let the rest of the server fill up with people from out in the wild and then ... well ... wreck 'em.

Revenge for all those years, all those wrecks that we get on public servers when wrecking isn't supposed to happen.

An online event that I'd like to see...

RD vs the Great Unwashed.

Set up a server, make it public. Populate around half of it with RD Premium people, communicating on Teamspeak.

Then let the rest of the server fill up with people from out in the wild and then ... well ... wreck 'em.

Revenge for all those years, all those wrecks that we get on public servers when wrecking isn't supposed to happen.
I would become a Premium member for that alone, I have enjoyed watching the RD wreckfest broadcast on twitch, more than the usual circuit racing broadcast, the two RD wreckfest commentators was funny, and they actually made watching the broadcast fun to watch.

I'm impressed with just how much they have improved this game, here is a short 3 lap figure of 8 race from the early career.

These are the immediate improvements I noticed:

+ Car handling is now excellent (for this type of game), the cars lean, dig in to the soft surfaces and take on a few degrees of drift angle with ease, they are still easy enough to control even if the thick of the action.

+ Wheel feedback now gives a good surface feel and surface change effect (excellent on tracks with tarmac to dirt changes).

+ Car contact and barrier contact has far more weight and feel like an impact.

+ Career mode is better in terms of progression, upgrade items and the way the cars can be configured for speed and handling or durability and impact. It all seems to make more sense. The challenges like the lawn mower takedowns are good fun too.

+ Car handling changes are much more noticeable depending on how the car is customised - add a lot of weight in push & side bars and car is way more difficult to control at speed in the faster corners and has more inertia when hit. Set for speed and the handling improves but hits from the heavier cars can send you miles into the scenery.

+ Graphics look smoother, cars look better and the framerate is flying along so all good from a performance point of view.

If you like this type of game Wreckfest is well worth picking up or giving another go as it is now. It's a good break from the super serious racing and a different kind of challenge.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 411 39.9%