Wreckfest Console Release Date Confirmed!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Wreckfest Console Release.jpg

Bugbear Games have revealed the long awaited console release date for Wreckfest...

Development of the game formally known as Next Car Game: Wreckfest has been a long, and often rather rocky affair over the years. Always showing an incredible amount of potential, times have been stressful for fans of the title as for many years it looked likely that a fully finished game would be something of a pipe dream.. but no longer is that a concern!

Having gather fresh investment and a nice new publishing deal in the last couple of years, Bugbear have worked tirelessly to upgrade and improve the title in practically every single aspect. Features, gameplay, content, UI, graphics, performance, pretty much every aspect of the title has been reviewed, refreshed and polished over the last 24 months - leaving players win an incredibly addictive and surprisingly realistic racing game.

When V1 release on PC dropped last year, Bugbear were quick to identify a move to consoles in the near future, and now that ambition is about to be realised with an official console release date!

Taking to the internet following a couple of cryptic teasers, Bugbear Entertainment have confirmed Wreckfest will drop for Xbox One and PS4 this August 27th!

As well the great news for console players, Bugbear aren't leaving out the PC games - far from it in fact. Alongside console release will come a major free update on PC, with August 27th seeing a new build that contains plenty of goodies...

August 27th Build Update Contents
  • 3 entirely new tracks and 1 new derby arena
  • 3 new crazy challenge vehicles
  • 1 new reward car for finishing the carreer
  • New & improved career events
  • Several new paintjobs for existing vehicles
  • Additonal daytimes for all tracks
  • ... and some more cool stuff!
Wreckfest will be available in both standard and deluxe versions, while the digital deluxe edition offers a 24-hour head start into the game on August 26th 2019, both versions will include the exclusive Bandit Ripper V8 racer for everyone who chooses to preorder, digitally or retail.

Wreckfest is available for PC now, with console release to follow August 27th.

For more smashing fun, head over to the RaceDepartment Wreckfest sub forum, and don't forget to check out the awesome RD Wreckfest Racing Club for some contact filled and laugh out loud online racing activity!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
My Gawd, the game that just keeps on giving!!!!

Please, please, PLEASE Bugbear, I BEG you, DO NOT add a "Boost" button or any other console-type of stuff like that...don't fix what isn't broken.

A simple skin editor would be welcome though!!!
Oh what fun we could all have with THAT!!!

Also, can't wait for that Motorhomes addition at launch (also free for us PC users).
I'll be doing my best Walter White impression while driving it into the ground. :)

Bugbear aren't leaving out the PC games - far from it in fact. Alongside console release will come a major free update on PC, with August 27th seeing a new build that contains plenty of goodies...
I am glad to see that...Wreckfest in a breath of fresh air amongst all my other Sims and wish Bugbear well in the console market.
....also all I would personally like to see now is that damage model in a future Hardcore Sim like Automobilista 3...hehe:D

I would like a new LEADFOOT GAME... BugBear, bring it back with this new vehicle modeling.... please! I'll pay early!

Last edited:
I liked the game except for the demo derby. They wouldn't tell you the timer was running out for next hit until it was too late to find the next victim. In a crowd of a few, looking for someone to hit was hard before the timeout!

Wreckfest is awesome so this is good news for console players. I love how the devs made an unapologetic arcade driving game but developed it with genuinely sim-level physics and handling model. I’ll always be a fan because of that level of dedication I hope they make a killing on the console and look forward to Wreckfest 2!

Would love telemetry output on this for my motion platform!

Agreed!
On a side note, you can somewhat "fake it" by using a joystick plugin if your motion platform supports one.
I'm using the SimTools one with my wheel/pedals/shifter/analog-handbrake setup and it works great.
It's not ideal, but if you use subtle movements it's better than nothing.

How about VR? Really need it for those figure eight tracks.

I've tested vorpX with it, and it looks pretty good when using a giant screen in immersive mode.
It's not VR, but it does allow you to use your VR headset and add some 3D depth to the game...great for looking into those apexes.

Has anyone seen any in-game footage or a preview write up from either console yet?

I'm being asked by friends if they should pre-order on console and while I 100% recommend the game, performance and gameplay on PC it's hard to say for certain without seeing it running on the consoles.

I have seen confirmation that it is fixed 30fps only. No 4k or performance enhancement for Pro or X. 16 cars max in fixed lobbies for multiplayer (but 24 cars in career).

I hope it is going to be great on both consoles, I've played in a few Mixer online lobbies this week and it has been true chaotic fun.

Has anyone seen any in-game footage or a preview write up from either console yet?

I'm being asked by friends if they should pre-order on console and while I 100% recommend the game, performance and gameplay on PC it's hard to say for certain without seeing it running on the consoles.

I have seen confirmation that it is fixed 30fps only. No 4k or performance enhancement for Pro or X. 16 cars max in fixed lobbies for multiplayer (but 24 cars in career).

I hope it is going to be great on both consoles, I've played in a few Mixer online lobbies this week and it has been true chaotic fun.

Thanks @FeltHat our little group of friends saw this late last night, looks good in singleplayer. Sounds like multiplayer will be fairly limited at launch but may get better in time, same with Pro and X enhancements.

Avoiding spoilers, some of the challenges they've added to career are pure fun worthy of The Grand Tour!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 214 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 209 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 272 13.5%