Wreckfest: an Old Volvo, Championships and More Coming Soon...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
New Wreckfest Previews.jpg

After a long silence Bugbear Entertainment have confirmed their Wreckfest title is nearing completion.. with some interesting hints at new content / features on the way.

Many have fallen in and out of love with Wreckfest during what has been a tumultuous period of often glacial development progress these past few years, bowled over by what are rather solid graphics and vehicle damage, but turned off by a constant lack of core feature updates and new content.

When things were looking on the downslope for Bugbear and Wreckfest the community scoffed at news that the ambitions developers intended to bring the game to consoles in the near future, rightfully pointing out the title is nowhere near a version one stage, and showing high degrees of scepticism at the likelihood of the studio progressing to such a state as to having the game finally in a fully feature complete stage of progress..

Well it looks like these past few months of silence from the studio are about to be rewarded... the developers have confirmed the next patch is set to bring many of those things that players have considered essential for a fully completed game. In a blog post on the Wreckfest website it has been confirmed that the upcoming update will contain "loads of new unique cars, a proper career mode with championships, car paint job customization, brand new HUD, greatly improved AI, polished tracks and a lot more – in short, everything that will soon make Wreckfest a complete game".

Now it is a little on the early side for the developers to go into detail about what the update will contain or when it will finally drop, other than the preview image at the top of this article, however it is still very good news to hear this fundamentally very impressive arcade racer is finally closing in on a fully completed release. At last.

Wreckfest is available for PC through the Steam Early Access programme, with both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 releases scheduled for 2018.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Check out the Wreckfest sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the game. Head over to the forum and join the discussion today!

Do you still enjoy Wreckfest? Does the prospect of new content, features and polish give you faith that the game can finally achieve its undoubted potential? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Do you still enjoy Wreckfest? Does the prospect of new content, features and polish give you faith that the game can finally achieve its undoubted potential?
I really do enjoy this game, even in it's current state and also when I am looking for something different instead of the usual drive carefully, do not crash Sims.... so I will be looking forward to this update to see what the improvements will be.

I just downloaded it after not playing it for about 7 months... Its changed a heck of a lot, and I had a lot of fun on it. With the new "Career" coming, and some new hud (which I think currently looks rubbish) this game could be a good go-to game for me when Im bored with the Simulators. Can't believe its changed so much since my last run on it though!

The trailer is cool...
But honestly after 4 years in this status, I won't buy it at full price for sure.
The soft body damage modeling looks amazing and it's a pity that racing sims don't have it.

Nice review, although this kind of "destruction derby" ain't my favorite thing, since I prefer more races.

it is still very good news to hear this fundamentally very impressive arcade racer is finally closing in on a fully completed release.
Still waiting....

I'm not an owner, but if the physics are good and the suspension/tire dynamics are well coded, along with accurate tracks, I'm not sure you can call this arcade.

Still waiting....

I'm not an owner, but if the physics are good and the suspension/tire dynamics are well coded, along with accurate tracks, I'm not sure you can call this arcade.
I am an owner, and this is arcade all day. And it's kinda fun at times. With a bit more polish/optimization it could finally be something that I would actually recommend my friends to buy.

(Can't believe that I have owned this game since Jan 2014)

Hmmm...old VOLVO you say, that's an odd choice for another old banger car possibly...what other Sim Developer has Volvo's in their Sim, a team up for their latest offering, a buy out maybe....Conspiracy Theory time...LOLOLOL

I am an owner, and this is arcade all day. And it's kinda fun at times. With a bit more polish/optimization it could finally be something that I would actually recommend my friends to buy.

(Can't believe that I have owned this game since Jan 2014)
Question: What kind of "polish" would you recommend in order to qualify for "SIM" status? Or...could it ever?

(I really want to like this game and buy it, but seeing how well respected PC titles are butchered on the console, I'm not sure now. It happens in reverse too, but mostly if you like arcade (Forza, GTA, Grand Tourismo, etc.).

Still waiting....

I also own it, there's not a doubt that it's an arcade racer. I haven't spent a lot of time with it but it's a hoot! And I have to hand it to the developers, the crash physics are spectacular. Not very deep, that may change according to this article, but can be fun for something very different than sim racing.

You can crunch your car into something resembling a 3'X3' cube and continue to race, doubt that this will ever be a 'sim', nor is it claiming to be one. It's 'realistic' enough that it can be fun to drive with a wheel in cockpit view, but it is just as entertaining to drive with a controller while using chase cam; I've probably spent my time driving it equally both ways.

I love Wreckfest. Tested it recently and it had changed tons, into better. Owned it since 2014, sometimes very long gaps I didn't touch it. At times regretted purchasing it, but today I don't.

The FFB is great, and it's realistic enough to be enjoyable with a wheel. While the damage is punishing only in visual sense, I think the handling has quite some depth to it.

Of course one becomes a bit skeptical with news like this, they've been saying good things before, and then little actually happens. Hopefully this time for real. At least they have this soundtrack contest in progress, where many indie bands are participating, would they go that far, unless it is actually released?

The development been too slow, no doubt. Then again, AC, RaceRoom and rF2 been also developed for 4 years. Don't see how 4 years makes a good, unique driving game somehow not worth someone's time or money, if they actually complete it.
Hmmm...old VOLVO you say, that's an odd choice for another old banger car possibly...

Volvo 240 (or other models) not an unseen sight in Finnish folk racing, at least. And the devs are Finns

Last edited:
There was a build I loved, I think it was in early 2015, the performance had improved, the graphics were cleaner, there was new content in construction, the UI wasn't this current disaster and you didn't have to unlock anything. I can't believe I've owned this for 4.5 years? Am I dreaming?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back