Wreckfest: an Old Volvo, Championships and More Coming Soon...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
New Wreckfest Previews.jpg

After a long silence Bugbear Entertainment have confirmed their Wreckfest title is nearing completion.. with some interesting hints at new content / features on the way.

Many have fallen in and out of love with Wreckfest during what has been a tumultuous period of often glacial development progress these past few years, bowled over by what are rather solid graphics and vehicle damage, but turned off by a constant lack of core feature updates and new content.

When things were looking on the downslope for Bugbear and Wreckfest the community scoffed at news that the ambitions developers intended to bring the game to consoles in the near future, rightfully pointing out the title is nowhere near a version one stage, and showing high degrees of scepticism at the likelihood of the studio progressing to such a state as to having the game finally in a fully feature complete stage of progress..

Well it looks like these past few months of silence from the studio are about to be rewarded... the developers have confirmed the next patch is set to bring many of those things that players have considered essential for a fully completed game. In a blog post on the Wreckfest website it has been confirmed that the upcoming update will contain "loads of new unique cars, a proper career mode with championships, car paint job customization, brand new HUD, greatly improved AI, polished tracks and a lot more – in short, everything that will soon make Wreckfest a complete game".

Now it is a little on the early side for the developers to go into detail about what the update will contain or when it will finally drop, other than the preview image at the top of this article, however it is still very good news to hear this fundamentally very impressive arcade racer is finally closing in on a fully completed release. At last.

Wreckfest is available for PC through the Steam Early Access programme, with both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 releases scheduled for 2018.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Check out the Wreckfest sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the game. Head over to the forum and join the discussion today!

Do you still enjoy Wreckfest? Does the prospect of new content, features and polish give you faith that the game can finally achieve its undoubted potential? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
that's my plan for the Christmas activities at RD..
i will be posting about it if i can get it all working and set up, or ill just run my own server and make a lot of noise until we have a full grid of bangers and smashers

Sounds great Rupe. I might ask Santa to bring me this game. :thumbsup: A game where I get to take out anyone who cuts corners and breaks track limits. Heaven. In fact I'll take em out whatever just for fun. Looking forward to it. :D

After a nice week of RD club racing what better way to wind down than winding up fellow racer by constantly tapping his rear, spinning him out, You can also team up in certain events...as far as server options go its very good and straight forward by the looks of it..(famous last words..) port forwarding i got sussed with my other temp servers...

just need to set it up on my second machine. as i don't like running dedi's from my games machine

so is it possible to run a dedi on a second pc without installing steam,
or is Steam required and how do i do that as in the past it messes up my gaming pc.
none of my other dedi's use a steam version of a game...

i cant seem to see how you did it in the link you sent @Purple44

@Rupe Wilson, I don't usually run dedicated server software ( but use it to advertise an up coming event like Cops and Robbers event ). Did a search at Bugbear forum and see in posts there this bit of code: # Lan # 0 = use Steam, 1 = without Steam lan=1

I just did a test with the server manager software. I close down Steam, started up Wreckfest Server Manager, "LAN use Steam" option is checked. click the start server software and had WF dedicated server software running with server name "test".

Then logged into Steam, started Wreckfest, saw my "test" server in the host list, had to disable the track mod I had running and was able to join my test server. So it would seem you can run dedicated software from another PC without logging into Steam, but will need Wreckfest installed on that PC.

If need more help with running dedicated sever, please post over at Bugbear forum, Multiplayer section. I'm sure the guys will help you out if got questions.

Finally!!!! Now this thing has the potential to be really good, hope it feels through the wheel as good as it looks.

Looks good, but wondering if it's upped fidelity of physics mesh. They mention tracks were smooth for performance reasons, so hope this isn't some tacked on thing that shakes the suspension. But actual physical mesh, so a bump is always in the same spot.

They left it kinda vague in the blog post, not mentioning how they overcame the performance issue. I don't know would physical mesh affect performance? Or is it just visual mesh that has to be simple.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back