Paul Jeffrey

Premium
WRC 9 is just around the corner, and one of the new locations set to make an appearance in the game is the New Zealand Rally - with some first preview imagery from the states now out in the public domain.

Set to release on console and PC in September this year, with next gen console release slated for a little while afterwards, the ninth instalment of the WRC game series (can you believe we are on number 9 already?!?) looks to be shaping up rather nicely over at KT Racing - so much so that the studio have decided to release some preview footage from an early build version of the title - and already it looks fantastic.

As per usual, the upcoming game enjoys the official licence of the FIA World Rally Championship, this time taking the opportunity to recreate the 2020 season that is currently on hold, and as such returning favourites such as the Safari Rally in Kenya, Rally Japan and the featured Rally New Zealand.

Roads in New-Zealand are amongst the most beautiful and the most appreciated in the Championship’s history.” tells Benoît Gomes, Lead Level Designer at KT Racing.​

Famous for its fast chains of turns and a sustained pace rhythm, along with breath-taking landscapes, Rally New-Zealand truly offers a particular experience. A long preparation work allowed us to replicate, as closely as possible, the luxuriant vegetation, the light and unique ocean views, as well as the road’s topography and surfaces, mainly composed of gravel. We’re convinced that players will enjoy taking up this challenge as much as we did in WRC 9.” concludes Benoît Gomes.​

WRC 9 Key Features:
  • 3 new rallies: Japan, New Zealand, Kenya
  • Over 50 official teams and their livery from the WRC, WRC 2, WRC 3 and Junior WRC
  • Over 15 bonus cars that have left their mark on the history of the WRC
  • Exclusive new game modes soon to be discovered

WRC 9 will release on Xbox One, PS4, PC this September 3rd.

Want to know more about this new game? No worries, keep an eye out for the upcoming WRC 9 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to engage with your fellow sim racing fans.

WRC 9 New Zealand 1.jpg
WRC 9 New Zealand 2.jpg

Last edited:
The game is fantastic ( When it works ) but the mapping and control pages are complete garbage and the people who are responsible for that department are totally incompetent !

Right now I can't play WRC 9 cause the car won't move and the acceleration is not happening when I put it in gear !

I can change gears standing still and rev the engine in neutral but as soon as I put it in gear and try to accelerate the car don't move !

I've tried to remap the wheel buttons as someone suggested but that did not help at all !

Kylotonn ! Get your **** together FFS !

Last edited:
I might have the key wrong , it could be the shift key , i haven't played it for a while but when you have the circle with the numbers you just press one of the numbers , sometimes i have to hold down the key to bring up the circle with numbers and keep it held down and press one of the numbers and while pressing the number and holding it then release the key that brought up the circle.

It IS the SHIFT key on PC, then number keys to select. You have to HOLD shift key, hit the number key, then release the shift key, to actually switch to that camera and stay there, holding shift and just hitting the numbers allows you to cycle thru the cameras to find the one you want. Would be MUCH better if there were mappable keys to just rotate thru the cameras, like Dirt Rally using buttons 5/6, the shift paddles on my setup!!

I'm sure not sure how anyone figured this out, but that's the drill, so thanks for that!!

Well, I tried to play after that new patch but it's still unplayable for me.
Not performance-wise, it runs smoothly but gameplay-wise.
The exterior so-called "fixed" cam still feels like driving a boat compared to the WRC8 one, and unless I missed something, you can't change that, sadly.

And for the interior cam... ...oh boy.

I mean, how can you go from this :
wrc8.jpg

WRC 8, end of SS Lerno without activating the wipers.

To this :
wrc9.jpg

WRC 9, same stage, same condition, also no wipers (obviously).

The game itself is actually pretty good, better than 8, imo. But those two things are gameplay-killer.

Now, I really hope AgentHex's mod will fix or improve it.

Well, I tried to play after that new patch but it's still unplayable for me.
Not performance-wise, it runs smoothly but gameplay-wise.
The exterior so-called "fixed" cam still feels like driving a boat compared to the WRC8 one, and unless I missed something, you can't change that, sadly.

And for the interior cam... ...oh boy.

I mean, how can you go from this :
View attachment 429479
WRC 8, end of SS Lerno without activating the wipers.

To this :
View attachment 429480
WRC 9, same stage, same condition, also no wipers (obviously).

The game itself is actually pretty good, better than 8, imo. But those two things are gameplay-killer.

Now, I really hope AgentHex's mod will fix or improve it.

I figured there must have been a patch cause there was an intro movie that I always delete !

I can now play WRC 9 again as the gear shifting now works as it should !

Thanks Kylotonn !

Last edited:
Hello there,

I am new to the forum as it has been recommended by a friend of mine.
I come here cause i bought a Thrustmaster TX leather edition wheel and i own WRC 9 on xbox Serie x.
As they have patched the wheel bug on new generation consoles i wanted to give it a try with my wheel.

And i have huge problem to control my car, like most of the time when i break i often finish the turn on a 360° rotation and i struggle even to keep the car on track.
I know i need ot get use to wheel instead of gamepad, but i play Dirt Rally 2 on PC with my wheel since a week (got the wheel since a week now :)), and i don't feel that lack of control on my car.

Any one could help me on this and maybe share with me a nice wheel setting that could help me handle my car better ?

Thanks a lot for your help and Merry chistmass day :)

OK, i have completed wrc3 and wrc2 in career mode. So far the seasons were like 4 stages per country, which was childish. But i thought ok, as soon as i get WRC contract, events will have at least 10 stages per event. But it doesn't seem to be the truth. I only get 6 stages per event. Will that change or will it stay like this for the remaining of seasons?

OK, i have completed wrc3 and wrc2 in career mode. So far the seasons were like 4 stages per country, which was childish. But i thought ok, as soon as i get WRC contract, events will have at least 10 stages per event. But it doesn't seem to be the truth. I only get 6 stages per event. Will that change or will it stay like this for the remaining of seasons?
The WRC will always have three days with each two stages. But you can encounter up to two times the marathon stage. Sometimes even with no service in between. The game simply has a too low amount of stages per country for longer rallies.

Oh no, i feel fooled. I somehow got this impression that tracks were the selling point for this game, and i was hoping to have at least 10 stages/2 full rally days per event.

Two seasons in WRC3/WRC2 made me realize that number of track is closer to Dirt 2 than i thought. Some tracks are simply a short version of the marathon ones (same as in D2). And that's why they cannot make longer events. If they had at least 6 unique stages per country, i would be completely fine if some of them i had to run twice - this is how real rallies often goes. Well...

One more thing: is it a thing to you as well that in event's first ss AI is blazing fast and then starts getting slower and slower? I was playing at 125 difficulty for starters and the first stage of even was usually a big struggle for me. It felt like i was doing my best stage of event, but i always got beaten by 8-16 seconds. And then, starting from SS2, i start gradually climb the ladder to the top. I lost 16 seconds in first stage of rally GB, but then in the last one (marathon) i won by over 40 seconds, leaving even WRC cars behind. What a heck.

One more thing: is it a thing to you as well that in event's first ss AI is blazing fast and then starts getting slower and slower? I was playing at 125 difficulty for starters and the first stage of even was usually a big struggle for me. It felt like i was doing my best stage of event, but i always got beaten by 8-16 seconds. And then, starting from SS2, i start gradually climb the ladder to the top. I lost 16 seconds in first stage of rally GB, but then in the last one (marathon) i won by over 40 seconds, leaving even WRC cars behind. What a heck.
I never looked exactly at this, but the AI level is very different among several tracks. On some, I even can't win on level 50, whereas others are easy wins on 125 for me.

I played Dirt 1 and Wrc 7.
Dirt 1 was great but I lost enjoyment because of the lack of structure / progression and also a bit lack of variety.
Wrc 7 was better in term of variety and program but I was disappointed graphically and physically speaking.
Wrc 9 is night and day compared to the 7. Menus are great, stages are long and very well done (Japan with rain and a little bit of sun is marvelous)... Until now I enjoy it a lot. My G29 is recognized, the game is beautiful and once again, stages are very well made with a lots of details and variety.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 118 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 89 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 64 6.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 127 13.7%